V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tip:
The other day as I washed the rear wheel on my 2002 Deuce, I noticed that the wheel balance/weight on the read wheel was just hanging there. The weight is simply stuck on to the wheel in between the ridges at the edge of the wheel with double-sided sticky (padded) tape. I marked the tire so I could tell where it came off, then removed the weight. I drove the bike on the freeway to see if I noticed any difference. I didn't, but decided to replace the weight anyway. Stopped by the friendly ACE hardware store and picked up a 15 foot roll of the 3M tape that "looked" just like the stuff on the original weight. Removed the existing tape from the weight, and replaced the weight with the new tape. 200 miles later the weight is still stuck as good as new. Have no idea what they would have wanted at the Harley shop for a fix, and do not intend to find out!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Many motorcycle and car manufacturers are sticking these counter balance weights on wheels actually and I had some similar experience on my car lately . Not sure though at what speed one needs to bring the vehicle to experience the full effects of an unbalanced wheel though . Some formulas apply actually (check on some Stanford public pages on this subject if you want) but I just accept the fact that it is possibly best to refit it at the original location as you did for a while . I guess changing your tires calls for recalibration anyway at some point . Thx for the tip

Rik

1 - 2 of 2 Posts