V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to change out the sprocket on the rear wheel of my Deuce. Looking at the service manual, they specify using Loctite Red 262 upon reassembly. Spoke with my dealer to see what they do, and they say that they use Loctite Blue when they replace the chrome bolts so it won't bond so tight and then there's less a chance of striping out the threads the next time someone takes the bolts out. Anyway, I'm assuming that Loctite Red was used at the factory and am a bit concerned what it takes to remove the bolts without any chance of striping out the alloy wheel. Anyone have any comments/experience in removing the sprocket bolts on the rear wheel of the deuce. Did you use heat, etc.?

(Forgot to mention that the service manual specifies Red 262, but the instructions that come with the chrome bolts specifies Blue 243, which according to the Loctite web site doesn't exist. I could only find Blue 242...Argh!)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Should'nt require any heat. I removed mine with 3/8 drive ratchet. Should come out no problem with a breaker bar. My personal preference would be to use RED to put it back together as the MoCo is using RED so the bolts stay there. I'd hate to have one of them back out would'nt you?

Big Dog

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input irbigdog... I forgot to mention and edited it into the previous post regarding the red/blue conflict in HD's instructions. I really don't think the bolts are going to come out in any case with that torque! My real concern was I read too much and became too informed! The Loctite product description for RED says HI STRENGTH will only release with heat. That got me concerned about stripping the disk. Now as soon as the good weather weekend goes by, I finish the job!

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Big Al,

I used blue on mine and have had no problems. I think reds a little much for these bolts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sprocket bolts

These bolts canl back out even if torqued properly, if locktight is not used. I would use the blue, though. My Deuce rear wheel had a tendency to get moisture inside it which caused the ends of the bolts to corrode. Sometimes they where hard to get off just having using blue locktight. did have a friend though that had his back out going down the road. Very messy! I solved the moisture problem with a bead of clear silicone under the brake rotor and the sprocket.

shooter

·
Registered
1 Posts
Red.

I just had all mine shear off while riding, and Milwaukee's being a PITA about covering it under warranty. They're lucky it didn't happen on the rush-hour freeway I'd just came off of.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input Farmer. I've got 18K on mine since I used blue and because of some comments like yours, I've been watching them real close. No sign of loosing up, but I may use Red to make sure next time I have them off. By the way, did you do the work or have a dealer to it?

note: I'm originally from Stockton and one of my sisters lives in Fremont. Come out to the Bay area every so often to visit family. Good luck with the Moco... Did you do the work or have a dealer to it?

·
963 Posts
Red. If you need them out, they will come out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts