V-Twin Forum banner

Deuce owner discussion

354K views 697 replies 231 participants last post by  Metalhead140 
#1 ·
I wanted to start this thread to discuss the pros and cons of customizing an already custom bike. I have an 04 Deuce. I have done several modifications that I feel are appropriate and I want to hear other viewpoints. If you are a Deuce owner then our tastes in Harley's is pretty close anyway. I would assume we, as a group, like a goodlooking chopper, too, but have chosen a Deuce for all the reasons you choose a Deuce for i.e., looks, reliability, looks, then looks, and suprizing performance, with looks . Does that about sum it up?
First, Stage 1, Screamin Eagle pipes. Why? The dealer said i get the best of both Worlds....That Harley rumble and more power than going with Vance/Hines.
2. Polished brake drums. Why? They don't rust as easy as stock, and they look cool.
3. Stainless steel wire front wheel. Why? My stock wire wheel rusted in two weeks.....are you ready for that sh#t! Went to stainless for the rust problem and the fringe benefit..... looks. Who knew?
4. All red tail light kit. A must. You look like a glowing fire truck from the rear, and if your taillight goes out, your two back turning signals work like brake lights, too.....lastly, all red lights in the rear look more uniform
5. Tore off that little strap on the middle of my seat for the passenger to hold on to. Why? It ain't worth a sh#t and takes away from the curvy sweeping lines of the seat.
6 Fat handlebar conversion for internal wiring, and stainless externals. Why? Beefy good looks.
7. Chrome rear axle covers. Why? Hides those funky looking bolts.
8. Now, here's a good one that only a picture can tell you, but I don't have one yet, so I hope i can explain this one right because it is very cool. You can tuck your license plate up under your rear fender so it just sticks out enough to be seen, yet has a real low profile and fits the bike a whoooole lot better and shows alot more of that back tire.
Simple to do, too. Just unscrew your plate, hold it in place and slide it up till it won't go any father....drill two holes where the bottom holes in your license plate are now....attach the license plate. Take a jig saw and cut out around it and use a rasp to clean up the edges.....Throw the rest away. Go get one of those narrow chrome license plate frames, attach it and Done. You might want to put a little black paint on the sawed plastic edges around your plate. Stand back and check it out. Slick. You are welcome.
Okay, enough from me. What say you, Deucemen? Opinions, please.

See less See more
#3 ·
Small details can make a big difference.
how about reversing the head light mounting block. it extends the bucket out a little further.
oval out the front fender mounting holes about 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch. This lets the front fender hug the tire closer.
S.E. pipes, Naw, there's much better looking/sounding pipes out there.
Factory seat, dump it, I'm a Mustang fan - big time!
Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck.
snoman

#4 ·
Some things I've Done

1: Started with Stage One Intake, and Pipes

2: Changed to corbin gunfighter seat.

3: Scraped the stock shocks and installed Legend air.

4: Chrome plated rear wheel, and drive pully.

5: Chrome Plated rear Swing arm.

6: Added SE axle covers.

7: Scraped the 17/160 rear for a SE 17/180

8: Chrome controls & buttons, and ness mirrors.

9: More, and More.

10: soon to come, a modified rear fender (Top Secret don't want anyone to copy me till I finish)

:D

#5 ·
Well I bought my Deuce because it was different from all the other bikes out there. What have I done? Holyshit batman, hold on!

Immediately got rid of the pegs and put the chrome/o ring ones on. Got the Deuce shifter linkage. Went with a solo seat and had "fourhour" painted on the fender cover. Did the tail-light mod and red lenses. Chrome axle covers, painted the swing-arm to match the red paint, upper-swing-arm covers, frame covers and the pivot bolt covers, lower chrome belt cover, pulley cover, engine and tranny cover, V&H Sideshorts, Big Sucka A/C kit, A/C paint kit, Console kit, Voltage Regulator cover, chromed my rear wheel, Have a kit to make the high beams flash during daylight, spark plug covers and I'm tired of thinking about them!

Future plans include, new grips/levers, hidden cables, extended controls, extended front forks, new front wheel and paint the frame. Next winter!

I keep track of my additions and quickly figure them to be in the $3,000 range.

Why all this? Because I can!

BTW snoman. I'm going to try that headlight mod. The license plate one I'm not sure of because I have a vanity plate that I pay a lot for and don't want to cover it up. But use a dremel to cut away the excess black plastic on the holder.

#6 ·
02deuce? How you get that 180 tire on it? I was going with it but the kit was $750 and the swing-arm was another $550. Just didn't want to spend that kind of cash chasing a wider tire!

Ontario CA huh? Spent a few summers in Upland. Had family that lived just south of Foothill Blvd. Is the Seahorse still in downtown Upland?

#8 ·
fourhour said:
02deuce? How you get that 180 tire on it? I was going with it but the kit was $750 and the swing-arm was another $550. Just didn't want to spend that kind of cash chasing a wider tire!

Ontario CA huh? Spent a few summers in Upland. Had family that lived just south of Foothill Blvd. Is the Seahorse still in downtown Upland?
Don't spend the money!, just buy the same tire that is on the 04 SE Deuce (17/180), and mount it on your wheel. The clearance between the drive belt and the tire will be close, real close! but if it is not rubbing it is clearance. :)

The only thing I had to modiify is the belt gaurds, I had to grind a small amount off where the tire came close to be on the safe side.

I haven't been up in Upland in a long time but i think the Seahorse is gone.

#10 ·
02deuce99 said:
Don't spend the money!, just buy the same tire that is on the 04 SE Deuce (17/180), and mount it on your wheel. The clearance between the drive belt and the tire will be close, real close! but if it is not rubbing it is clearance. :)

The only thing I had to modiify is the belt gaurds, I had to grind a small amount off where the tire came close to be on the safe side.

That belt clearance is what started the learning process. I had the 180 mounted and the mechanic looked at it and informed me of the close tolerance. We than found a bearing that would push the pulley a little closer to the frame but upon further info, learned that it required the larger swing-arm. Just got deeper and deeper. Never did get to see the SE with the 180 nd I looked for one too!

Good old memories of the Seahorse, from about '76 to '81 or so. Was a good local bar. I drove through Ontario about 4 years ago but did not stop. Family has moved to Oxnard and Camarillo. How could you not go to Upland? Is it a ghost town?

Thanks for the info on the tire. May do it after all!

#13 ·
fourhour said:
That belt clearance is what started the learning process. I had the 180 mounted and the mechanic looked at it and informed me of the close tolerance. We than found a bearing that would push the pulley a little closer to the frame but upon further info, learned that it required the larger swing-arm. Just got deeper and deeper. Never did get to see the SE with the 180 nd I looked for one too!

Good old memories of the Seahorse, from about '76 to '81 or so. Was a good local bar. I drove through Ontario about 4 years ago but did not stop. Family has moved to Oxnard and Camarillo. How could you not go to Upland? Is it a ghost town?

Thanks for the info on the tire. May do it after all!
I live in the South West Ontario, seems like every time I head out I am hitting the 60, I think the last time I was in Upland was to get the taxes done, didn't go into the old downtown. I've been in this area since the late 60's sure has changed a lot.

If ya look at an 04 SE Deuce closely (take some measurement of yours) you will see they offset the tire C/L a little to the right to ge more clearance, there are several Deuce's running around here with 180's either with 18" wheels or like mine with stock wheel and SE 17/180. As I said it will be close but my belt has never rubbed the tire.

#14 ·
02deuce99 said:
I live in the South West Ontario, seems like every time I head out I am hitting the 60, I think the last time I was in Upland was to get the taxes done, didn't go into the old downtown. I've been in this area since the late 60's sure has changed a lot.

If ya look at an 04 SE Deuce closely (take some measurement of yours) you will see they offset the tire C/L a little to the right to ge more clearance, there are several Deuce's running around here with 180's either with 18" wheels or like mine with stock wheel and SE 17/180. As I said it will be close but my belt has never rubbed the tire.
How about the clearance inside the fender? The kit included new brackets. (look inside yours)

#15 ·
Interesting!

snoman said:
Small details can make a big difference.
how about reversing the head light mounting block. it extends the bucket out a little further.
oval out the front fender mounting holes about 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch. This lets the front fender hug the tire closer.
S.E. pipes, Naw, there's much better looking/sounding pipes out there.
Factory seat, dump it, I'm a Mustang fan - big time!
Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck.
snoman
I'm going to check out your headlamp mod, and front fender mod. Sounds interesting. As far as pipes go, the mechanics at the dealership said that SE pipes gave me more horsepower. That seemed to be the deciding factor. Were they bullsh#ting me? JimmyV

#16 ·
Interesting!

02deuce99 said:

I'm going to check out this 180 tire mod. You have one conflicting opinion. If i can get away with YOUR deal I will do it. If I have to buy a KIT, then I am going to wait for my 160 to wear out and then consider it. Thanks. I will get back to you on what I find out. JimmyV

#18 ·
Cool beans there 02!

I did the license plate and headlight mod yesterday and am quite pleased. Especially with the plate one. It looks neat now, not like a damn old mudflap on a semi! Took some pictures but have'nt downloaded them yet. Will post them soon.

#19 ·
Ive got an 01 and Ive done the diamond plate grips and pegs. The shiney chrome rear wheel will go on next next weekend along with a new rotor. Those are my biggest mods to date. I did the smoke lenses but Im not 100% with them, I really like the red look across the back. Ive also got the little rack on the back of the small sissy bar which is nice to have too.

#20 ·
As promiced I would post some pics;

I'm very fond of any pics showing my new pipes but more than that, you can cleary see most of the chrome accessories I've added, particulary to the ass end.

Swing arm, wheel, covers for the axle, swing-arm, pivot bolts, frame and tranny.

Forgot to take one of the left side.

#21 ·
This one is with the completed license plate mod. Really like that one and it didn't cost a dime!

Thanks Jimmy!

Reactions: Cmfwb11
#22 ·
Finally, this is the fender cover I mentioned earlier. Freakin plastic and it cost $112. Bastages! Cost me $8 for the pinstripe paint and $15 for the lettering. That was the best bargain I ever got!

#24 ·
Man, we have a lot of mods listed here. Mine is an '01. Started out chroming everything. Just like everyone else. But then I started really making the bike what I want in a bike.
I lowered the rear right at 2 inches
I added a 18x5.5 rear chrome disc wheel with a 180 metzeler
I had the frame cut and raked the neck out to level the frame rails back out after lowering the rear. Awsome mod, by the way.
I did the headlight reversal-- cool deal
I added a fat katz front fender.
I had the whole thing flamed out.
Now I have people asking me what brand of bike it is. We still ride it 2 up most of the time. It rides so much better than it did originally. At least for our style of riding.

#26 ·
Of the mods I've done, I must say my favorite is lowering the rear and adding a custom made sidemount license plate (I just put it on last night and I love the new look). Lowering the bike makes it look about a hundred times better IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.