V-Twin Forum banner

681 - 694 of 694 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks, sledman.

Now I'm also looking at a 2005 Deuce with 12k miles, for $6500. It has the stock engine. Many of you will think this to be a stupid question, but how much difference is there in the stock or Stage 1 88" motor and a 96" bi-bore kit?

Here's another naive question: Carb or FI? I've never ridden anything with fuel injection. Many of you are familiar with both. What do you think? I'm guessing that FI is better when it's working, and when something goes wrong, you're left dead on the side of the road. What else?

Paul in East Troy

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Hard question to answer accurately without a little more information on the build. Their will be a noticeable difference for sure however. Can you get this information regarding the 96" build?
* Which cams?
* Any head work, if so what?
* Stock Throttle Body?
* Pipes?
How (and by whom) was the ECM mapped?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks again, sledman -- I'll get the answers to those questions.

Meanwhile, I spent some time today shopping -- Craig's List and a couple of shops. Several bikes caught my eye. It looks as though there are some newer Low Riders to be had for fairly cheap -- meaning factory 96" motors. And others. It's a little bit crazy-making for me, my head is swimming. And then I remembered that I know somebody who is trying to sell one of his two bikes, both 88-inchers...

Paul in ET

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've posted elsewhere, but I thought I should close this up: I bought the '02 Deuce. I told the owner that I wanted to take it for 30-45 minutes. After the first quarter mile and one turn, I was pretty much sold.

So I now own what is somewhat a pig in a poke. I don't know what I've got! I may need some help figuring out what to figure out. Does it really have an SE big bore kit? What cams? Compression release? What are the pipes, really? What map? On and on. I have to fix the triple tree clunk, and I have to change the mirrors, and I have to do something about the brake pedal. Oh, and I have to learn how to ride it. I have to go out and spend some hours doing low-speed maneuvering. I also have to develop a sense of what it will do in corners.

I really love this scooter. I have to tidy up some odds and ends on my Sporty, and I'm having it detailed in two weeks. Then I have a big decision to make. Do I need two bikes? Maybe...

Paul in East Troy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you still have it?

Paul,
I was just reading this thread a few days after I bought an '06 with 8200 miles and pretty stock.
Just rode it over 100 miles yesterday. Will likely do the same today.
I'd be interested if you still have yours and what you've done with it.
I just found this forum the past few days, and am looking at what others have done. I'm only 5-10 years late to the party, but that's OK by me...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok,

So I’m late to the party, but I’m an ‘05 FXSTDI owner, and I still love it! every year they come out with new bikes, I like mine even more. Long live the Deuce!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your bike is very nice.
I seldom ride my bike. It's just a shiny toy. I avoid overpriced dealerships.
New to Forums. 2001 Deuce is FXSTD (carb). 7K miles. Introduced to the FXSTD about five years ago. Difficult to locate other Deuce owners. My 2001 has extensive add-on surface/exterior mods. Previous owner not available to fill me in and identify his mods. He had upgraded the wheels, swing arm, bars and cables etc. I've added many mods myself such as chrome front blinker mounts and chrome lenses, chrome accessory 5 switch panel on the left and chrome accessory bar at the right grip. Modified an under-bar mirror to double as a phone mount. Unique saddle bags, OEM sissy bar and rack etc etc etc. Added second rear brake pedal very unique and appears OEM etc etc etc. Rebuilt the carb, removed the tank twice. Removed both front and rear wheels for cleaning. Added many mods that are both OEM approved and many not approved. Hope to up load a brief Youtube video soon. I'm prepared with tools and all parts necessary to replace the cam tensioners, bearings and a few other mods while inside the cam case.
Removed and reinstalled entire exhaust system to gain access to clutch cable for replacement. Cable had a slight leak. One tiny oil spot while sitting for a few days once in a while. Almost impossible to believe the leak came from that cable. If you do your own work and interested in some simple unique mods contact me directly if you're able. Motu [email protected] Marco, Florida
Stay Well
Ben Pow

681 - 694 of 694 Posts