V-Twin Forum banner

641 - 660 of 694 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, bought it from a dealer but don't have much info on all that's been done. It measures an inch lower than stock, the front Tree's are Pro1 but I don't know if it's been raked. I can tell you based on test rides that the HyperCharger wasn't just installed without a re-tune cause it's fast!! I'm not sure if anything was done to the engine though. Pipes are SuperTrapp and sound great, although maybe just a tad loud for my neighborhood :) . Bars are "tattooed" with etched flames, I like them, but I think I'll need to go to Apes since I'm 6'7"....Forward controls are 3" extended, which is pretty nice, I could go further, but baby steps!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, bought it from a dealer but don't have much info on all that's been done. It measures an inch lower than stock, the front Tree's are Pro1 but I don't know if it's been raked. I can tell you based on test rides that the HyperCharger wasn't just installed without a re-tune cause it's fast!! I'm not sure if anything was done to the engine though. Pipes are SuperTrapp and sound great, although maybe just a tad loud for my neighborhood :) . Bars are "tattooed" with etched flames, I like them, but I think I'll need to go to Apes since I'm 6'7"....Forward controls are 3" extended, which is pretty nice, I could go further, but baby steps!!
My '03 has exact same paint and scheme as yours. It just turned 2k miles! Had to have a State inspection since I brought her in from NorCal. The previous owner had complete Vance & Hines performance set up (pipes, intake, tune, etc.)and, like yours, it shows. Inspector complimented set up--passed easily. Man, these bikes are a blast when done up right. Glad to see this thread staying alive!

·
Registered
22 Posts
just picking up the thread…… here is my Deuce. As you can see, I like the soft bags look and the Mustang seat, no pillion pad, but a small sissy and rack. Excuse the 'driveway' pic… all I have at the moment.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very nice scoot. I've always liked the '03. Can't decide which color theme I like best, the gold and black is classy, but the black and silver is striking. Guess I'll just have to have one of each to compliment my '07... lol

How did you attach your soft bags? Ghost brackets???

I've made a bunch of mods and am halfway done. Turning my Deuce into a touring bike for those long solo rides. Have a batwing fairing with stereo to be mounted, lower fairings off an ElectraGlide UltraClassic as well as the hard saddlebags and tourpak trunk. Also have a RWD bobbed rear fender with Frenched in taillight (I hate the Deuce's stock fender and license plate mount - what was Harley thinking when they designed this ugly rear end and useless rack?). Will swap the stator for a 50amp (I go camping and need to make coffee, heat or cool down food in my 12v warmer/cooler, as well as blow up my air mattress, charge my cell phone... lol); bump up to 103ci and, lastly, put in reverse gear. I'm only a 4'11" petite female (turned 60 in Sept) and want to be safe (well, as safe as one can be on two wheels) and comfortable (as comfortable as one can be on a motorcycle) for the long solo rides.

Already I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can start planning another solo ride from San Antonio, TX, to San Diego, CA. Maybe I'll make it an Iron Butt/SaddleSore/Bun Burner this time.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
60 huh.. I'll be there in March… but, how old would you be if you didn't know how old you were….. :)
My soft bags were purchased from craigslist, as were many things, but no, no ghost brackets. The conjoined 'over straps' were modded so that they fit perfect on the sides, without touching the pipes and just above my swing-arm bag. With the bags now even on both sides, I connected the front of the bag (on the bottom) to the swing arm, using a strong boot-lace threaded thru the bag (two holes 1 inch apart) and tied off in the inside (nothing visible). Then for the rear, I used 1/2" wide leather strips (the same as previous) threaded from the bottom (two holes, 1" apart) up to and around the base of the rear turn signals.
So with the bags secured to the swing arm on the front/bottom, and the rear attached upwards to the turn signal I was 2/3 done. To help keep the rear of the bags steady (not flopping around) I cut a small notch into the rear of the bag, level with the turn signal, so as to provide a stabilizing effect for the rear attachment. By tying everything together, front to the swing arm and rear to the turn signals, both up and in, a stable connection was created. I was going to use small strips of velcro to attach instead of leather boot laces, but once I had the bags on, I liked it so much, that I will be leaving them on full-time (packing rain gear, cold weather gear, etc.,)
If you do a search for 'soft leather motorcycle saddlebags' you will find an abundance of choices; like over 200 or something. I like these bags so much that when they are no longer serviceable, I will use them as a 'pattern' and have another set made up.
For security (on soft bags) I enclose a thin water proof 'pouch' to hold everything which can be taken out whenever you want (leaving empty bags behind).
You can easily pay $500 for a set.. not me, no way, no how; so I just went searching, and searching, and then found this pair.. $60. Still a bit high, but I also bough some other stuff from the seller, so altogether it was a worthy deal. I can send close-up if need be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to a deuce, had baggers before. What is a good tire on the front? Can I go wider. It is a chore guiding it on grooves. Construction work and steel bridges. I know it's tough with wide tires to but wow the Avon Venom suck. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
I believe from previous posts you can go with the 120/21 wider tire that is used on the baggers with a 21" wheel but it requires a wider rim and a new fender. I was looking into the the same thing for my newly acquired Deuce. Not sure I want to spend the extra $$.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Beautiful Deuce!
Thanks LN , The Deuce is a beautiful bike right out of the box ,but I still find the need to change things . It started with the rear fender I wanted it shortened and the light taken out .It took a bit more than I had thought but I am very happy with it now it has been done .

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would love to purchase the fender panel/cover that is installed when a solo seat is used. If anyone has one and would like to sell it, please let me know. Thanks.

641 - 660 of 694 Posts