V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure whether to believe my take is a 4.9. My dealer when i bought the bike said, when the low fuel light comes on. I have about 30 miles left.
Even pushing my distance on the low fuel light. I only get 3.25- 3.5 gallons pumped in to it. Looking in to the tank, it doesn't appear to be much fuel in the tank.
Being fuel injected I don't want to run it empty. Another thought was to pull the fuel line off and drain the tank to see how much it holds. That seem's to be a pain in the butt for something that i'm curious about.
Anyone with experience fueling a Deuce or a five point zreo, weigh in on this. Maybe their is a simple way to solve my question that I'm not thinking of.
What it boils down to is, I want to know if my range is farther. If its got another gallon, gallon and a half in it. Instead of the 150 - 175 mile range it seems to have. Any thoughts? Thx

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
2Deuce,

Same thing happens on my RK, light comes on, I fill up...3.5 gallons. I figure WTF, I'd rather fill up that push it.

my $0.02

wyo

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks wyodude.

I'm glad to here that I'm not the only one that has run in to this. Stil thinking about draining the damm thing some time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've often thought about doing the same... That's about EXACTLY (3.5 gals) what I get into a "so called" empty tank on my 02' FXSTDI. The Harley spec of 4.9 gallons sounds like a load of B.S. to me.

TAZ

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You, Taz

Super glad to here the responses that I'm not the only one running into this. After wyodude's reply, Im wonder if everyone is experiencing this.

Maybe I should get a stick and ram down in there.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I was curious too about my Heritage tank so I got a small full one gallon gas can, put it in my saddlebags, then got on the freeway and rode til the tank was dry. I checked my trip meter, dumped in the gas, and now I know how far I can go without running out of gas on long trips. Knowledge is good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Careful guys your about to experience a little stupidity !!!! :D I have a 2000 Deuce & it's the carb version ,but the fuel capacity should be VERY close to the same.

Here's the stupid part . I have ran dry on gas not 1 or 2 but 3 times!!!! My capacity is as stated by the company. One thing I noticed is that it will run a long ways before I hit reserve, but, once I switch over to res. I only have about 15 mi. before run dry!!! Luckily each time I ran dry I was close to home or a station & only required a short push!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I seem to always fill my Deuce with 3.0 to 3.1 gallons. Never have seen the low gas light come on, don't know if it even works.

It really doesn't matter how much gas the tank holds. What does matter is how low it will go before it goes below the fuel pump scavenge and the pump shuts down. The test I want to perform is to have the wife follow me with a few gallons of gas in a can and run until it goes dry. Then I will know what the fuel gauge reads.

Cheers

·
Registered
561 Posts
My low fuel light used to come on at 100 miles, same as everyone else. I inadvertantly ran it dry once; and it took 4.85 gallons, so the book is right. I had the dealer drain and fill the tank, while bending the float arm inside the tank. Now it is very accurate, the light comes on when I have 40 miles left (aprox 1 gallon)

·
Registered
201 Posts
One day last year after hitting reserve and running on fumes for a short distance I put a tad over 5 gallons in my '01.

-jeff

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Just for the record, there is no big deal with running an EFI bike dry a time or two.....ther than the pushing it part that is.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I keep trying to run my mine dry. Well, not dry But i'm still getting feel for the actual range, or close thier of. I wind up filling mine up when the fuel light comes on, even though I know there is still better than a gallon and a half in it. I checked my milage again the other day, same O'L 3.1 gallons, 151 miles. One of these days i'm gonna see what the best highway milage I can attain is. Just curious. Dang its hard not to romp on it when ever i can.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Dragging this one up from the past!

I never use the guage on my 02' Deuce. One day I got 192 miles from her and put in just about 4 gallons. Today she bucked and coughed at 182 miles, drove another nine (at high speed) and put 5.144 gallons in her. I think the gas pump calibration may have been in need of some attention. BTW, It took $11.62 to fill up, ouch!:Dennis

·
Registered
30 Posts
4.2 Gallons here

I rode this weekend on my 04 and I ended up pouring 4.2 gallons after 183 miles on the current tank.
I hope he never emptied the tank just to find out. :(
Manny

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Mannylove said:
I rode this weekend on my 04 and I ended up pouring 4.2 gallons after 183 miles on the current tank.
I hope he never emptied the tank just to find out. :(
Manny
Did you have to use reserve after the 183 miles?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got over 180, and still did not hit reserve on my trip to sturgis in 02,
02 Deuce Carb. When I filled up it took 4.1 or something like that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i usually get to between 160-170 on my '04 (FI) when the light comes on. takes about 3.7 gallons to fill it when the light first comes on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Same with my '04 efi Deuce. When the light came on, she only took about 3.5 gallons or so to fill 'er up. I figure that I have at least another gallon, or about 40 miles, once the light comes on. I once drove about 40 miles after the low fuel light came on, and it took about 4.5 gallons.

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
187.8 Miles, 4.258 Gal

Light came on at about 180 miles. Extrapolated it out and figured I could have gone another 28 miles before it ran dry. Gauge seems to be getting more accurate as time goes by. Light used to come and tank would take 3.5 gallons, now it seems to be closer to what the manual says.
First 100 miles on this tank of fuel was two-up riding, the other 87.8 was my usual running late to and from work (75-85 mph).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts