V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running the HD detonator 3 spoke 16 inch wheels on a bagger? Thinking about changing out my laced wheels to these, looks easier to clean than spokes. Wonder if they handel better than the laced, if the flex any more or less?

Any feedback is appreciated:thanks:

·
Registered
2 Posts
:beer4u: i have the detonator wheels on my 05 fxst and they are awsome. they ride better than the spoke wheels and are real easy to clean. the crome finish is blinding. i think you will be very happy.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
not to worry, you but check to make sure the chrome problem is gone with those wheels. I know that the 04 screamin eagle e glides came with them, and some had a problem with peeling. I know the dealer was taking care of it though. Like i said dont worry, and by the way, those wheels are awesome looking on a bagger.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had not heard of any chrome problem, can you be more specific, any more details?

Thanks a bunch:thanks:

·
Recon
839 Posts
I have HD Chrome wheels, The front has been a problem. The first 3 wheels peeled. I asked around before I bought and no dealer would give much of any warranty on peeling. I finally bought my set from Jenni at Benjy's (Thank you Jenni) and she saw to it that HD took care of it. She sent the wheels at a good price. No hassle. they ride great.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ralston,
Can I presume that is the solid mirror chrome wheel on the front of the fat boy you are refering to peeling and not the detonators? Also is it an 03 wheel that you had the peeling?:unsure:

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
The problem is with chrome over aluminum. If even the slightest chip exposes the aluminum, it will begin to oxidize and cause the chrome to peel.
In addition, chrome does not adhere to aluminum as well as it does to steel.
Many wheel makers will not offer a very long warranty for the chrome wheels for this reason. Usually only 90 days.

·
Recon
839 Posts
palmeris said:
Ralston,
Can I presume that is the solid mirror chrome wheel on the front of the fat boy you are refering to peeling and not the detonators? Also is it an 03 wheel that you had the peeling?:unsure:
No, Got a set of the roadwinder wheels when they came out. Littlebear is right we used to know better than to chrome aluminum but I was assured(by a dealer I dont go in anymore) that there was a "new process" that HD had that would prevent peeling. Later the mech at my new HD shop told me that they had lot of peeling with the chrome. often the front wheel. The wheels look good and a lot less hassle than spokes. The first wheel began to peel two weeks after I got them.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
look at www.cvoharley.com there is a ton of info about chrome peeling there. I had the same problem with a good friend.....he is on his 3rd set of wheels, but the have been good for a year now. But then again he got new mirrors and floorboards and grips(2) as well....man was he mad. This was a 04 s/e electraglide.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is concerning. Now I am wondering...:thumbsdn: dont to go with the detonators.

I do have an excellent relationship with my dealer however, so If I had any problem they would make it right by replacement or probably even store credit towars another set.

Damn now I dont know what to do, we are heading out on Monday and having the work done on Tuesday....#@SasF#

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Well hopefully h-d fixed the problem that they were having. I am sure if you do chose those wheels you will be happy with them...If you do buy them keep them clean and inspect freequently....

·
Custom Builder
1,263 Posts
I've had a Detonator on the front of my custom bagger for almost two years w/o any problems.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I went with the Detonators.. The dealer assured me that the chrome problems had been identified and fixed at the factory and said if I had any problems that they would take care of it for me.

I also went with new Metzlers 880 and upgraded to a 140 rear. Big difference, I like the feel much better.

And we changed out the rotors and calipers to complete the look. I will post some pics at some point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts