V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like a dumb question, but how hard is it to determine if a used bike has had gear drive cams or other mods done? I just bought a 2001 Dyna w/29,000 mis. I can see the K & N air cleaner element and the thing seems spot-on as far as throttle response goes. It runs really well. I would swear it is only a hair slower than my '02 Sporty 883/1200 w/SE air, 9.5 to 1 Wisecos, Andrews N2's, and Bassani Pro-Streets. This is my first Twin Cam so I don't have much to base it on. I'm about to spring for head porting and a 95" upgrade. Wouldn't that be embarrassing if it turns out it had already been done....????!!!!

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
To be honest, the only way I know to find out is to take it apart.

But then I run a shovelhead, so what would I know :huh:

No doubt wiser heads will prevail :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Worth a try? I just put a gear drive in my Road King over the last couple of weeks. I'm trying to remember what you could see from where without the cam cover removed. If you pull the pushrod tubes up, I think there's some holes in the casting around the lifter bores that you MIGHT be able to see down thru the lifter covers into the cam chest with a mirror. If you've got adjustable pushrods, you can take a set (either front or rear) out, and take off the lifter cover. I'm betting you could see down into the cam chest now..........and see the lack of a chain between the front and rear cams. Also, if you can see the cam lobes, a chain drive will turn both cams in the same direction, gear drives turn opposite. There may be a better way, but I don't know it.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Take it to a NDT (non destructive testing) place and ask them to x-ray your motor. They may even do it cheap just to see the inside of a Harley motor. :)

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
If you check your push rod tubes and have adjustable push rods it might be a clue that something has been done. The twin cams run pretty good with just the pipes and se air cleaner. Is your bike car or efi?

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Listen to it! When it warms up, if you hear some clanking and/or whining from the cam chest, you can bet its gear driven. Even listen with a stethoscope.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Like atengnr said...listen to it. You will definitely be able to tell if their are chain or gear drive cams. The gear drive will have a bit of a whirring sound with acceleration and decelleration.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
pa-glazier said:
If you check your push rod tubes and have adjustable push rods it might be a clue that something has been done.i?
Agree. Look in the spark plug holes. Somebody said SE says 1550 on them. Also stock are just dome, if its something else that is a sign BB.

Pull the little cover off the cam chest. Drawing blank for name. I would bet with a light and mirror you can see something.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Sorry Berzerker, the only thing under that cover is a hidden stash space where the points used to be. Just there for looks. You have to pull the cam cover to see the outer tensioner.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
csoday said:
Sorry Berzerker, the only thing under that cover is a hidden stash space where the points used to be. Just there for looks. You have to pull the cam cover to see the outer tensioner.
Well that is dissapointing. Got the exhaust off tonight. So I am getting ready to open and take a look at the cams. Had hell off time getting everything apart. Ended up taking left pipe out through the engine and frame, with Y and cross over. There will be a thread coming up on that one.

Damn heater won't light. Nobody has kereosene so bought #1 diesel, sticker says I can do it. Damn thing won't light. Got it to light one time after sitting for awhile. Gonna have to head up to fleet farm for kereosene. Though about sticking torch in outlet of torpedo heater, but something said this looks like a safety video being filmed.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
i know this might sound dum but :huh: did you ever think about asking the guy or place you brought it from?:hmmm: :dunno:

I wouldn't have bought the bike without knowing this stuff:duh?:

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Oil filter disection

Cut open the oil filter and if you find some strange orange colored particles on the filter fabric, you have the dreaded chain tensioners hidden behind your cam chest cover. Make sure that you buy a reinforced cam chest cover ASAP as it protects your right leg from being hit by debris from disintegrating chain tensioners.............:brows:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
ViennaHog said:
Cut open the oil filter and if you find some strange orange colored particles on the filter fabric, you have the dreaded chain tensioners hidden behind your cam chest cover. Make sure that you buy a reinforced cam chest cover ASAP as it protects your right leg from being hit by debris from disintegrating chain tensioners.............
:laugh: :spank:

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
ViennaHog said:
Make sure that you buy a reinforced cam chest cover ASAP as it protects your right leg from being hit by debris from disintegrating chain tensioners.............:brows:
Delcron makes a billet cam chest cover for $600. Extra insurance.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
guitback said:
This may sound like a dumb question, but how hard is it to determine if a used bike has had gear drive cams or other mods done? I just bought a 2001 Dyna w/29,000 mis. I can see the K & N air cleaner element and the thing seems spot-on as far as throttle response goes. It runs really well. I would swear it is only a hair slower than my '02 Sporty 883/1200 w/SE air, 9.5 to 1 Wisecos, Andrews N2's, and Bassani Pro-Streets. This is my first Twin Cam so I don't have much to base it on. I'm about to spring for head porting and a 95" upgrade. Wouldn't that be embarrassing if it turns out it had already been done....????!!!!

If you happen to be in Daytona next week with the bike, Id be glad to listen to it and give my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts