V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a detachable Tour-Pak rack and mounts for my FLHTCI and have a few questions.

1. Is it a do-it-yourself job? If so, what does it involve? Does it involve any drilling or is a simple bolt up?

2. How to you handle the electrical connections? I have the Ultraglide style brake lights on my Tour-Pak

3. If you own the system do you like it?

Thanks in advance,

Philip

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have one on my FLHT and Love it. When my wife is not riding, I remove the factory seat and tour pack and put on the corbin. It changes the appearance of the bike. As far as electrical connections, I have none but I'm sure there is a quick solution, even if you have to add some connectors. I also have installed a radio, but my antenna is mounted inside the fairing, so an antenna mount is not an issue. It may be for you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Detachab;e

Do you mean so the tour pack comes lff? I installed a detach system on my Standard and I like it. I do not have all the lights that you have but it is my understanding that there is a plug for the lectrics. I have the detach backrest and pad for day rides and the tour pack for longer rides. BIRD

·
Registered
247 Posts
fastlane304.
what kind of antenna did you use in your fairing? where did you get it? I took my tour pack off my '03 FLHTCI and since then only listen to cds.

·
Registered
240 Posts
03glide,
Wow...Cd's... what a concept. I cannot remember the manufacturer but I got it at a custom bike shop here in NC. I've also seen them in some marine and audio shops. Its a little amplifier the size of a twix bar that hooks into your accessory switch or wherever you can find 12 volts and ground. The antenna is about 5 feet long and loops around (fastened by sticky velcro) inside the fairing to create one loop. It works very well, and I can even pick up the weather band with no problems. It allows me to convert the bike quickly for single riding and a lower look without having to mess with the antenna. If you are running a cb this is not an option.
I hope this helps. If I see a link I'll post it

Fastlane

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. I will buy the system.

The only decision is whether to install it myself.

I still don't have any feedback on installation. I am concerned about having to drill holes in the frame. Do I have to or is it bolt on?

Any help will be appreciated.

Philip

·
Registered
240 Posts
Phillipk and 03glide

Mine was installed when I purchased the bike, so I'm not sure. I don't believe there will be any drilling. The Antenna I use is a Antenna Works model 44-ua-20. I still haven't seen one on the web.

Fastlane

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
A friend of mind had a detachable tourpack on a 97' Road King. It was all Harley Davidson parts and looked nice. But there was no security...no tools needed to remove the entire tourpack in just a few seconds. The lid locked to the tourpack box, but the whole thing snaped into place. The thought of some one stealing the pack and every thing inside of it would concern me.

·
Registered
240 Posts
srb8267,
You are correct. The pack snaps off in seconds. I never really thought about it, and I do lock my tour pack when I go in somewhere. I suppose you could figure out a way to lock it on. Hmmmm. My wife loves the backrest when riding, and I guess that's the reason I got the pack. You can't beat the quick convertability and the extra space though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
srb8267 said:
But there was no security...no tools needed to remove the entire tourpack in just a few seconds.
Yes, that concerned me until I found that HD does sell a lock for the kit. On page 722 of this year's part catalogue there is the Detachables Locks 2 Pak # 45106-00 for $59.95 (or you can buy just one). They replace one of the release latches on the Tour-pak and the Sissy Bar and are keyed alike.

I have that on my list.

BTW, I got a quote from my dealer. To install all the detachables plus the UltraGlide style brake lights and premium tour-pak rack cost $200 labor and 10% off parts.

I will spring for the labor.

Philip

·
Registered
174 Posts
fastlane304 said:
I have one on my FLHT and Love it. When my wife is not riding, I remove the factory seat and tour pack and put on the corbin. It changes the appearance of the bike. As far as electrical connections, I have none but I'm sure there is a quick solution, even if you have to add some connectors. I also have installed a radio, but my antenna is mounted inside the fairing, so an antenna mount is not an issue. It may be for you.
Do you have pics of your FLHT with the solo seat?

·
Registered
247 Posts
philipk, I know this thread is alittle dated and you may have already had the work done. Ijust thought I would let you know I installed a detatchable rack tonight. Not too bad, and there is no drilling. To install the front and rear docking points and install the new rack to the bottom of the tour pack took about 2 hours.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hoss, Here's a pic without the tour pack

Hoss,

Here's a not so good pic of the bike, but it gives you an idea. I've thought about getting one of those trick little smoked windshields for it, but they are all form with no function.

I'm glad spring is here, ride safe

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well, It's really not a solo seat, but my wife will NOT ride on it, so I consider it one. There's more pics of the bike with the tour pack in the Photo gallery.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks for the pics nice bike!...I had to order the quick detach kit, so in the mean time I took the tour-pak off. I like the looks but now I have to get rid of the stock seat. This shi(t is like a drug I just can't stop adding accessories.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hoss,
I Love the stock seat! It's like a recliner. It looks the best with the tour pack on. You're correct, Without the tour pack, the rear seat is way to fat. I know what you mean about the accessories, I'm always seeing something I "need".

Ride Safe!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was going to add a detachable tour pak to my fat boy. It needed a couple of other modes and I wound up trading it for a Road Glide. I ordered the matching tour pak and detachable hardware. I also ordered the antena relocator kit. The missing link was the wire connector. Actually the wiring harness had the neccessary wire and connector but it requires inserting through the front left of the tour pak and resealing around the entry hole. I bought mating/matching three wire connectors and pins and made about a 16" extension cord. I have it connected in the pak and sealed the hole.
To put on the tour pak, I remove the antena, install the tour pak, and clip the extension cord into the harness wire. The antena wire with tour pak swings down and connects were the antena was. The antena screws onto the tour pak.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hey Fastlane,
Very good look on your bike. Don't be too quick to rule out those little black windshields. They give a lot more protection to the rider than you might imagine. I have a tall windshield for the cold months, a smaller spring windshield, and the little black one for the summer. It really works well. They're usually available on E-bay from a company called American Thunder. The price is around $29. Even if you don't like it, you've probably spent more and gotten less.

Ragnar

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a modified rack that will extend the tour pak back 2 1/2 in. It also stays in the stock position when wife not riding...then extends back for her to be able to ride with me. she is a bit large in the thigh........so I had to come up with something.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts