V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to be able to quickly take off my sissybar on my 02 FXD instead of having to completely unbolt the thing when riding one up. Anyone use the detachable sideplate by H-D? How do they work? Do you just have to loosen the front bolt and turn signal bolt and slide it in and does it go inside or outside the fender brace?

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
I'll most likely have one up for grabs in a short since I'm going to install late model turn signals when I swap out my sheet metal.

Here's the drill:

The airfoil turn signal stalks are replaced with chrome, hollow, round, tubing, threaded both ends and docking hardware. Front strut bolts are replaced by longer items and front docking hardware.

The sideplates slip onto the front docking point and are lowered into the rear docking point until the latching mechanism is engaged. To remove, you simply unlatch the spring loaded lock and lift the sissy bar, pivotting on the front docking point and remove.

My setup is chrome with a bar and shield short upright and plain pad. It was seldom used and kept in my house. As new condition. Let me know if and when you want it in a PM and I'll see if we can swing a deal.

Later,

SS

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the detachable set-up is awesome!!! I installed it on my '00 FXDWG bcz I wanted that low look of the badlander seat and open fender with no sissy bar but my wife wont ride without the sissybar. so this set-up gives you the best of both worlds! It takes only seconds to chance from sissy bar to no sissy bar and I also change from stock seat (when she rides with me) to badlander seat (when I ride alone). I am very pleased, and so is she!!!!!

Install is very easy, you have to cut & splice the wires for the rear turn signals but that's no big deal even for a beginner like myself.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used my stock sissy bar with the Detachable Sideplates-Chrome part #53870-01 and Docking hardware kit part #53858-01. This info can be found on page 205-209 of the 2002 book. The mini rail sissy bar is part #51512-02 and pad part #52513-94.

G

·
H-D has not come up with a detachable kit for the newer 2002-3 Dyna's with the wider rear tire. I hear the detachable kits ofr older Dyna's will fit, but the welds may not be strong enough. They actually came out with a new non-detcahable kit for the 2002-3's, and they talk about a detachable kit being in development, but so far it's just talk. I hate the look of the sideplates, so I just put a Kuryakyn Plug'N Play on my 2002.

·
Banned
35 Posts
I used a kit for a 01 wide glide on my 03. As far as welds being "not strong enough" I am unsure what he means.

The main problem is the holes in the fender and strut are a tad larger on 02 and 03 bikes. So you use the extra bushing supplied in the kit to compensate inside the fender.

Also I drilled out my trun signal posts to allow the wires to fit more smoothly.

All in all it was an easy fit. there are no weld on the sissy bar plates or the bar, so I imagine he is talking about strut welds, if this is so, then wouldn't those same welds be unsafe for a standard sissy bar?

I love my Mustang seat and quick detach sissy bar, when I ride to work I am solo 1 up no bar, and on weekends I am 2 up with it.

my .02

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally got the HD detachables (sideplates and docking hardware) for my 02 FXD and put them on. Easy job and now very convenient to add or remove the sissybar and passenger pillion. Sort of a trade off as the new rear turn signal stalk does not look anywhere as nice as the stock aerodynamic one.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
I had detachable sideplates on a 01' FXD I had and thought they were great. Easy on and easyoff. When the OL wasn't with me neither was the sissy bar. A also had a set of big bags for mine for long trips and made them detachable as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts