V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
DrumScum said:
After reading this, at 31k I don't find the Destroyer all that impressive comapred to an out of the crate 10k bike.

http://www.mpsracing.com/Pages/articles/Crateto8/Crateto8.htm
I think a brand new Busa plus their add-ons is a lot more than 10K......however nowhere near 31K-

Remember, the Destroyer is a limited production bike and much more expensive to produce than the common Busa.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
EAW said:
I think a brand new Busa plus their add-ons is a lot more than 10K......however nowhere near 31K-

Remember, the Destroyer is a limited production bike and much more expensive to produce than the common Busa.[/QUOT

The Busa wasnt designed for straight line performance.
The Busa will destroy anyting in H/Ds lineup:beer4u: :nunu:

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
squeeze it too....

wvwayne said:
Lets throw some nitrous on the Destroyer also and see what it will do.
I'd bet (too) that adding nitrous would allow it to get way into the 8's. regardless of the price differential, it's still cool to see a Harley that runs like that. It does EXACTLY what it was designed for...to foster a HD sportsman racing class, and enable them to claim the quickest accelerating production bike. The harley still was faster "out of the box"....even if it cost a lot more. Apparentely harley has a lot of takers even at 31K....
[QUOTE The Busa wasnt designed for straight line performance.
The Busa will destroy anyting in H/Ds lineup .[/QUOTE] Sounds like the busa will destroy everything in HD's lineup EXCEPT the Destroyer.....

·
Registered
493 Posts
My local dealer had one of these V-Rod Destroyers in it this past weekend when I stopped in. Cool looking bike. I would think for all the things they dropped off the bike like gauges, footpegs, ect. that the price would be somewhat reasonable. Not sure what makes it a $31K bike. But it does what it is supposed to, generate lots of looks. And it would be fun to have one of these at the strip, so if you have an extra $31K sitting around and you want to drag race with little or no work. Here is the bike for you!

·
Registered
53 Posts
on suzuki's web site, a new hayabusa is $11,000, & per an article i found, it has 165 hp at the wheel, bone stock. with a very good rider, it does 9.9 in the 1/4 mile.
not that i want one. i love my v-rod, it's plenty fast & comfortable & looks stunning.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Cadiero said:
My local dealer had one of these V-Rod Destroyers in it this past weekend when I stopped in. Cool looking bike. I would think for all the things they dropped off the bike like gauges, footpegs, ect. that the price would be somewhat reasonable. Not sure what makes it a $31K bike. But it does what it is supposed to, generate lots of looks. And it would be fun to have one of these at the strip, so if you have an extra $31K sitting around and you want to drag race with little or no work. Here is the bike for you!
Take an $18,000 motorcycle and add all the changes that they made (motor, clutch, wheels, tires, air shifter, wheelie bars, solid struts, exhaust, controls, steering damper, front end, etc.), then split that cost over 300-600 motorcycles versus about 15,000 - it is easy to get to 31K.

Many other guys have modified their V-rods for much more and still can't beat a stock Destroyer, so it is a good deal if you ask me.

·
Registered
450 Posts
A couple of points that may not be known by all of the readers.

1. The destroyer is a RACE BIKe and cannot be run on the street --legallly.
2. Eagle H-D the 2005 AHDRA champions in the V-Rod class are running as good as the Destroyer is and in some cases better as is Tilley's H-D Tripp Nobles the 2003 and 2004 AHDRA champion. In fact the "Pre-built" V-Rod racing motors can and do turnout more horsepower than the Destroyer.

3. The Destroyer is a very inexpensive Drag Bike complete and ready to go out of the crate. How ever the motor is "sealed" at the factory to keep everything the same in the race class they are creating for it in 2006. If you race it as opposed to displaying it you will need at least 1 additional "sealed" motor at $12k.

AS THEY SAY, RACING ISN'T CHEAP!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Usually engines vary in power output by a small percentage. A sealed engine sounds unfair. What if one of those hand ported heads flows a little better then the others, or one engine makes a little more compression , or one cam is slightly retarded......ect... Some stock bikes run a little better than other stock bikes.

What if you buy the one that is down on power slightly? Do you just buy several "sealed" engines and run them all and pick the best one....or just cheat? Who will inspect those engines to see if they are within the rules for the class? How do we really know if those AHDRA VR class champions are not running strokers already! It looks like the guys with the most money will still be the quickest. Just a new point to consider.

I'm not knocking anyone here.......this somthing I've been wondering about for a while.

·
Registered
105 Posts
EAW said:

Remember, the Destroyer is a limited production bike and much more expensive to produce than the common Busa.
The point I'm trying to make is that the Busa, bone stock turned a best of 9.77 at 140 + mph. Not bad for a 10k bike. Throw a ghetto turbo kit for 5k installed into the mix and we're talking 250hp and still less than half the price of the Destroyer and I can still drive it on the street. The Destroyer on the other hand did a 9.55 @138 mph. Very respectable, but for 31k I can find better things to do with my $$. Obviously it's a niche bike and not for everyone. I just find the name and cost of admission kind of ridiculous. Destroyer??? Most peoples bank accounts for sure. Oh and my 05 limited edition Busa is also a limited edition production bike and was 10.2k out the door. I just find it funny that Suzuki can build a street legal bike for about a third the cost of the purpose built Destroyer and damn near match it's performance. I'm just not impressed with it.

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
DrumScum said:
The point I'm trying to make is that the Busa, bone stock turned a best of 9.77 at 140 + mph. Not bad for a 10k bike. Throw a ghetto turbo kit for 5k installed into the mix and we're talking 250hp and still less than half the price of the Destroyer and I can still drive it on the street. The Destroyer on the other hand did a 9.55 @138 mph. Very respectable, but for 31k I can find better things to do with my $$. Obviously it's a niche bike and not for everyone. I just find the name and cost of admission kind of ridiculous. Destroyer??? Most peoples bank accounts for sure. Oh and my 05 limited edition Busa is also a limited edition production bike and was 10.2k out the door. I just find it funny that Suzuki can build a street legal bike for about a third the cost of the purpose built Destroyer and damn near match it's performance. I'm just not impressed with it.
Sounds Like your in the WRONG Forum^rolleyez^ ! www.suzukihayabusa.org is where You belong!:flames:

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I watched the Destroyers run at AHDRA in Gainesville yesterday. They were pretty impressive heads up racing. Compared to the other options it's a less expensive option for the beginner to get into racing. They were bracket racing. I suspect this class to bring more interest to AHDRA which is a good thing. While it's a pretty good marketing scheme on the part of the MOCO it's good to see HD taking and active interest in racing again. I expect to eventually see factory support for these guys at the races. On another note a Buell won the race in Daytona saturday by out driving the faster Ducati.

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
marvin4239 said:
I watched the Destroyers run at AHDRA in Gainesville yesterday. They were pretty impressive heads up racing. Compared to the other options it's a less expensive option for the beginner to get into racing. They were bracket racing. I suspect this class to bring more interest to AHDRA which is a good thing. While it's a pretty good marketing scheme on the part of the MOCO it's good to see HD taking and active interest in racing again. I expect to eventually see factory support for these guys at the races. On another note a Buell won the race in Daytona saturday by out driving the faster Ducati.
@gree: ? Yes it was a Great Day all around for HD Racing,and Willie G should be PROUD prty: !Hope they do well in NHRA PSM,but only time will tell:yes: !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts