V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting 1 drop of oil on the garage floor, it looks like it is coming from the bottom Derby Cover.
outside of the obvious of getting it fixed, in the short term is it anything to worry about?

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
not unless you worry about oil stains on your floor.

rkc

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
Try tightening bolts.

Be careful not to over tighten, esp they are the torx bolts.

With a good o ring and the bolts torqued down properly in order, it should not leak. Leaking indicates there is oil, so it should be OK until the next service.

rkc

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,606 Posts
Be careful not to over tighten, esp they are the torx bolts.

With a good o ring and the bolts torqued down properly in order, it should not leak. Leaking indicates there is oil, so it should be OK until the next service.

rkc
Or until the leak "fixes itself"?

joe

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tomorrow will be the 3rd trip to the dealership to get this leak fixed.
what a pain in the ass this leak has been

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
wow, shouldn't be too hard to fix.

What dealer?

rkc

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Clean around the cover with brake cleaner and a clean cloth. It usually stops on its own, as it is residual oil, from replacing the gasket.not really a leak.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sounds like the derby is warped from being overtightened. The bolts are suppose to be torqued to 87 inch pounds in a cross pattern.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I had the same issue with my bike. Wound up being a warped derby cover.

·
Blue Knights MO III
110 Posts
Sounds like the derby is warped from being overtightened. The bolts are suppose to be torqued to 87 inch pounds in a cross pattern.
That is my best guess on the problem.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Wipe the underside clean and put some paper towells or cardboard under the bike. Then you will get a better idea where the oil is dripping from. .... it may not be from where you think. It could be coming from somewhere else. Mine was dripping from the inner primary starter seal and running down and leaving spots on the garage floor. I'll get to it someday ...... :beer4u:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had same problem on my '98 RK. Warped derby cover. No amount of tightening will fix this. Must be replaced.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Big Twin 3-screw derby covers have been leaking since their intro in 1970.

I replaced the ''3-screw derby'' primary cover on my '97 FLHP with a 5-screw outer primary from an '05. Got it on Ebay with all hardware. Used to use the o-ring and James silicone beaded steel-core cover gasket. But not all o-rings fit right. Some are a real PITA to keep in place. Too small. And many if not most aftermarket covers are NOT FLAT!

·
Registered
884 Posts
And many if not most aftermarket covers are NOT FLAT!
Some I've seen look like they were cast by drunk children, but a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface is nice for correcting that.

I never got much for derby cover leaks but I glue the gasket to the cover (not the case, pain to remove) and put some Three Bond/Yamabond/Hondabond on the screws below the head.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts