V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda new here. I want to replace the derby cover on my 06 Ultra. Is there anything that I need to know?? Is there a gasket to replace? Any fluid loss, etc.?? GREAT FORUM!!!!

06 FLHTCUI
V&H Turndowns
SE AC
PC III

·
Registered
71 Posts
bike has to be upright, won't lose fluid, I replace new style gasket everytime derby cover is off and follow tightening sequence in service manual. As far as replacing gasket everytime, someone else will have to give you advice if they can be used a couple of times. HD told me they went to that style gasket because old style gasket ( o ring ) was prone to leaking. Funny- o ring was about $1.00, new one about $8.00 Think I'm on 3rd o ring on 85 evo w/o ever having a leak at derby cover.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
henryjw1 said:
Kinda new here. I want to replace the derby cover on my 06 Ultra. Is there anything that I need to know?? Is there a gasket to replace? Any fluid loss, etc.?? GREAT FORUM!!!!

06 FLHTCUI
V&H Turndowns
SE AC
PC III
Even with the bike leaning on the kick stand you shouldn't get any fluid loss. The manual will tell you to replace the gasket but i've had my derby and primary cover off 3 times now and still haven't replaced the gasket - no leaks. Just follow any torque sequence listed in the manual and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You guys that are reusing your gaskets..............
Your gonna break the the MoCo...:laugh:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
You won't lose alot on the kickstand. I got oring. But reuse the inspection cover gasket, have had that off 20 times.

Make sure you use t27, t25 fits but will strip.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
If the gasket looks good and it comes off easy then reuse it. I keep an extra one here at the house just in case it looks bad when I take the derby cover off, but the last time I did my gasket was still in good shape and no need to replace it. More times than not, replacing it is just a waste of a good gasket.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
If it was hard to get at, would replace it. But its not.

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
Had mine off 15-20x and still using same new style gasket. Don't over tighten it or they will strip quick. Done that too.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
If any oil runs down and gets in the bolt holes clean them out! It can cause your case to crack if you tighten the bolts with oil in the hole.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Chances are when you remove the derby cover, the gasket will stay with the primary, so just install the new cover without replacing the gasket. Even though fluid may not leak out with it on the side stand - I would still recommend having a buddy hold the bike upright while you change the cover!
NO loctite on the screws!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts