V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another HD newbie question...

For those of you who have put down deposits on bikes (not on the floor at the dealerships), did you hammer out your final price (with extras or warranties) at that time or when the bike came in. The couple of dealers I've been to ballpark it and want to wait until the bike comes in. I wonder why...:eek:

Thanks for any insight.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Dealer quoted me list price, i asked how much he wanted down, he stated zero. Bike came in 4 wks later. I added an additonal $4000.00 in add-ons and then he gave me 15% off. I was so please with the entire experience that i wrote to the ceo & coo of HD and then they framed my letter at the store.

Joe z

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Dude, the negotiation position strengthens for the Dealer when the bike is present.

·
Registered
985 Posts
You work the price out up front, then leave a deposit.
I put down $1k.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you have not agreed on a price and left a deposit it doesn't seem like you have any kind of a deal. Maybe thats the way the dealer wants it?

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
gbenner said:
If you have not agreed on a price and left a deposit it doesn't seem like you have any kind of a deal. Maybe thats the way the dealer wants it?
...this no doubt can be attributed to the "I bought someone's bike" story we see occasionaly..

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I just ordered a 2003 RoadKing Classic on 01-02. I got the final price, in writing, and they did not want a deposit.m Good thing I have my FXDWG or I'd go crazy waiting for this thing.

Tony

·
Registered
238 Posts
I put $500 down on my '03 Ultra back in '98 when I picked up my 95th anniversay Ultra. I wanted to make sure I received the '03 by August 2002.

I also ordered a '00 Ultra when I picked up the '98 and that was a no money down deal to get my name "on the list" for a new bike in 2000.

The local dealer gives me a straight, list price, deal on the new bike and gives me top dollar for my trade.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was $500 down to order with a receipt on the total out the door. If I decide to add any add ons or the warranty, that will be added on pick up.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have an '03 road king classic on order - dealer has taken my trade already (wife's bmw), we negotiated the deal up front, 0 down.
Once the bike is in the showroom, you're at the dealer's mercy - he can invent whatever figure he wants if the market will bear it.
BigG

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Tony, If I carried a gun i wouldn't need no stinkin' deposit either(lol).

btw, when is it due in? Congratulations! You're keeping the fxdwg aren't you?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
G

It's due in Sept/Oct. I told the salesman I wanted to get out from under my truck payment as much as possible before the bike came in, so he'll get me one of the last ones. I am, in fact, keeping the FXDWG so it won't be so bad. If I didn't have it, I d go crazy waiting for the new one. Especially since it won't be here until after summer.

Tony:cool:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Another thing to consider is that you want the "out the door" price- this prevents any sneaky add ons or being required to buy x amount of extras- if there is set up and delivery costs- they need to go here so there are no surprises. If you both agree on a price, leave a deposit and get a copy of the deal- that makes sure that if another guy wants that color real bad and is willing to buy for y price with z add ons- he won't be doing it on the bike YOU have negotiated for, you have a contract. Any reputable dealership will put this in writing, the sleazier ones won't. Also if the dealer has a buyer wanting a white one (yours) but wants to deal on a black one, and you don't mind black at all but weren't willing to pay extra for it, you have a point to negotiate from.
Strick9 :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts