V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Anybody who is thinking of ordering parts from Dennis Kirk...do it! I have just received an email from them addressing a problem with some pipes I bought from them recently and it blew me away. It was from there eBay site DK-Trader. What they do is auction off their overstocks and end of line stuff for some extremely good prices.

The item in question is a set of slip ons that list in thier catlogue for 334 bucks, I paid 40 for them. I'm going to copy my letter to them and their response to me below

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 8:55 PM
To: Dk-trader
Subject: Hard Krome 3.5" slip on 91-98 Dyna

Hi.

I just wanted to write you and let you know how disappointed I am in a pair
of Hard Krome Slip on mufflers that I recently purchased from you. Hard
Krome's part number is, 84-4030 .I bought them from you thinking that I got
a fantastic deal on a great set of pipes from a great parts retailer. The
models listed for the part in your ad match my bike a, '93 HD FXDL. The part
number found on Hard Krome's website matched both the number you stated and
the fitment of the part. Great! Scored a fantastic deal! Imagine my surprise
when I opened the SEALED box and found there were no instructions included. No problem, not really needed anyway, not an overly difficult procedure to figure out. I checked Hard Krome's website and found instructions there so,
no problem at all. Upon reading the instructions. I realised that the
supposedly included exhaust brackets were not in the box. OK, I can get some of my own. Again no problem. Now comes the install, or should I say the attempted install.

I removed the existing system all set to install the new slip ons. All
shortcomings had been overcome, or so I thought. The mufflers fit so loosely
onto the head pipes that there is NO WAY I would be able to tighten the
clamps enough to take up the slack and achieve a tight fit. I realise I only
paid a fraction of the price of a 'new' pair but, come on. I feel I have
been burnt here. The ad you ran on eBay stated factory sealed box. If this
is the quality that is typical of HardKrome pipes I would imagine this is
likely not the first, or last, complaint you will be receiving. I have tried
to contact Hard Krome about this but have been unable to contact anyone
there about this on several attempts at calling their Customer Service. I
think they fully realise that these pipes are garbage. I shouldn't really
say that. I guess I do have a quality pair of shiny doorstops now.

I realise I'm likely barking up the wrong tree here and I guess I should
have test fitted them to be sure they fit but, I was under the impression
that you only dealt with QUALITY manufacturers and didn't have a worry. I
cannot understand why HardKrome would produce such a poor quality piece. The mufflers look great. Unfortunately looking great doesn't fit the bill. The
part has to actually fit what it is intended to fit. I know that in this
case all sales are final and thankfully I DIDN'T pay full price for these
mufflers, I mean doorstops.

Paul

London Ontario
Canada

Their response:

----- Original Message -----

To: "Paul "
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 5:56 PM
Subject: RE: Hard Krome 3.5" slip on 91-98 Dyna

Hi Paul,

I apologize for this. I'm going to send you another at our expense (you may keep the other). Don't worry, I'll check the inlet dia before sending.

Thanks,
Marya

Holy crap!! Talk about doing way more than was needed. This was an "all sales final" deal. These guys have all of my business from now on!! I can't say enough about them!!

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Great service. I ran into nearly that same situation with Hard Krome slip-ons I ordered from Direct Parts (Dave...site sponsor). They simply wouldn't fit....the opening was huge compared to my pipes and no clamps could ever attach them. Hard Krome insisted they were right, but they weren't. Dave worked with me and somehow managed a refund on the deal even though I had stupidly tossed the box assuming (bad word) the muffs would fit. Kudos to those who offer great service!

T113

·
OLDBOY
784 Posts
Yeah DKTrader is a top notch ebay seller in my book too. Last year I paid $160 for brand new in the box $590 Samson exhaust for my Heritage. They shipped them that day and I have had no problems. The pipes are as good as if I bought directly through Samson at retail price. I have been singing DKTarders praises ever since. Now if only they offered the 2-1 Rineharts I'm currently looking for... :)

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
I have always had great service with Dennis Kirk. Their prices are a little higher, but you get what you pay for which is good service!

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Another Denis Kirk Positive

I called Dennis Kirk to order a set of Cycle Shack turn out Mufflers that I had originally ordered through Jireh cycle. Jireh Cycle had them back ordered with no date as to when they might come in. They said they were already two months over due. So I call Dennis Kirk and they have em in stock.
Jireh had them for 104.95 Dennis Kirk was 142.95. So I order them and mention that they were only 104.00 at Jireh. The guy says I'll check it out. Next day I get a call from a Dennis Kirk rep who says they always beat others prices by a buck when the item is over $100.00 and not only that I would get free shipping, so I get this pair of mufflers for 103.95 plus free shipping! It states this info in their catalog I was told, so I look and sure enough! So if it's 100.00 or more and you find it cheaper give Dennis Kirk a call!

·
N.R.A.
772 Posts
I have also had very good service using Dennis Kirk. I ordered our helmets from them and during a trip the vent cover came off my girlfriends helmet. She had allready taken all the stickers off of the helmet but Dennis Kirk exchanged it without any questions. Great company.

·
Ride It, whatever it is!
244 Posts
I've always had great luck and no problems with Dennis Kirk. As mentioned they can be a bit pricey. In case you knew already they have the beat it by a buck deal where they will beat the price of any competitor as long as you can prove it to them for "tires, helmets, complete exhaust systems, tracks, impellers, engines, frames, transmissions or wetsuits" but they also will have extended that to any item over $100.

Last year I bought a pair of Samson BGII's from them. The chrome on the header pipe started to peel after a week. Called DK and spoke with them about it, they said to ship them back and put an invoice for the price of shipping in the box and they would give me a full refund plus reimbursement for the initial shipping plus shipping them back to them. I order a set of V&H Big Shot shorts while still on the phone with them, of course after having them beat the best price I could find on the net by a buck. Got the V&H's took off the BGII's sent them back and got the full refund. I was impressed.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
dennis kirk rocks! Find your best rock bottom price on an item, then call dennis kirk up. Give them the details on the price you found and they will beat it by a buck. How can you go wrong?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Nice catalog, other than that so-so. Years was waiting on pistons for sleds, something got screwed, up never showed. I had to call them. Some field was not filled in. They just gave up on order, never bothered. More competion now, they are probably trying harder.

Last year. website said quanity 2, for Mustang seats. I doubted it, calll and order. They said, oh, thats a mistake.

Don't get me wrong catalog is next to my bed. Its got nice pics. Rating is ehh.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
otterbob said:
dennis kirk rocks! Find your best rock bottom price on an item, then call dennis kirk up. Give them the details on the price you found and they will beat it by a buck. How can you go wrong?
I will never do this. It is wrong. If they don't give you the best price, why should you beg them to take your money? Wrong.

Last year, bough 4wheeler. Local dealer was $600more, after going on how he wanted my buisness, I was local. Big dealer too. I was going to offer them the other dealers price. But why? Why shop arund, find an honest dealer, then give the greedy one a chance to compete.

BS. Maybe you should give your boss back some money while your at it.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
yjlama said:
As mentioned they can be a bit pricey. In case you knew already they have the beat it by a buck deal where they will beat the price of any competitor .
Why not just give your buisness to the guy who gave you the best price without your threatening him. :laugh:
Your taking buisness away from the guy that is upfront. You are giving your buisness to the guy who tried to screw you, but found out he could not.

Problem today is nobody has any principles, or pride.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
One more thing, the only time I am jsut going to give money away, there better be a g-string involved.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
otterbob said:
Do they then lower there price next time catalog comes out or for next person who calls. If you call and order next day to they tell you, prices have changed?

Give your money to the person who was upfront. Support the little guy, in some cases. Unless the competetor is Walmart.

I bet you guys are all married. Your used to just rolling over, and giving it away.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
berserker said:
Do they then lower there price next time catalog comes out or for next person who calls. If you call and order next day to they tell you, prices have changed?

Give your money to the person who was upfront. Support the little guy, in some cases. Unless the competetor is Walmart.

I bet you guys are all married. Your used to just rolling over, and giving it away.
actually i have never given dennis kirk any business, but i did check on a price for a set of pipes for a friend. How could they continually price check every item they sell???

Dennis Kirks policy isnt something i came up with, so get off my back, Jack. You must own a mom and pop shop or a dotcom business.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
otterbob said:
. You must own a mom and pop shop or a dotcom business.
No. You think that just cause I want fair prices without having to beg? Sorry to single you out, you just happened to be there.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
berserker said:
No. You think that just cause I want fair prices without having to beg? Sorry to single you out, you just happened to be there.
I dont really see why you would consider it begging. I am just assuming that dennis kirk could not possible be able to constantly price check all their items. I remember seend DK mags when i was just a kid, so i know that they are a reputable company.
Between snowmobiling and my harley i give 95% of my business to my dealership. My big ticket items i usually get during their bi-annual 20% off sale. They treat me very well there and appreciate my business.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
If you find a cheaper price, why not buy it from that person?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts