V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
The CARES ACT provided a bonus to the unemployed of $600 a WEEK, not month. That was in addition to what ever the state paid for unemployment benefits. That was fkn stupid.

Let's say you have 10 workers at a business working 40 hours per week and making $15 per hour. ($600) COVID-19 comes along and business drops so they have to layoff half of their work force. Now you have 5 junior employees getting $600 per week from the feds and probably $200 from the state for sitting on their ass while their co-workers that didn't get laid off still work for $600 and have to pay for transportation, child care, etc. What incentive is that to either group? And someone in DC wants to continue that??? If anything, I'd say pay a bonus that's a percentage of their average weekly pay. Yes that's "a convoluted program of who gets what..." But it's a bit closer to fair to the people busting their a$$ for less.

The larger issue is where the rest of the $2+ trillion went from the CARES act and who gets to pay it back. Millionaires and billionaires made out the best in different ways including massive tax breaks, interest deductions and other legislation favorable to rich folks. The CARES act was another windfall to the elite provided by a crooked group of politicians, disguised by a token gesture to the working class. If our economy collapses because of the national debt that's on a rocket to the moon, the poor folks will feel it the worst.

This is just one reason I refuse to vote for an incumbent in the federal government and haven't voted for a democrat or republican for a federal office in close to 20 years. Everyone want to piss and moan about term limits but we, as a nation keep electing these ****ing crooks back into office. We ain't very smart, are we? Y'all can fuss and fight over republicans and/or democrats all you want but in my book, 98% of them are ****ing CROOKS! Piss on 'em.
Uncle Salty....yes. Per WEEK. my bad. And I certainly agree with your take on politicians in general. Don't matter who gets in...corruption and lies always follow. Someone said they might have gone in with intent to to good for the Country, but end up doing good for themselves. Question....how did a "community organizer" , presumabaly on the lower econcomic scale, 9 years later buy a multi-million dollar estate in New England? Ahhhh....yes.

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
DC threw the $2400 a month at the middle class newly unemployed. They wanted to avoid a mortgage meltdown like 05-06. And because they can't give money to suburbia and not the inner city and stay in office, they gave it to everyone. And they never realized that people would lay back on it like the lazy bums they are, instead of returning to their jobs. Giving away other peoples money is a big rush always screws the pooch.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
DC threw the $2400 a month at the middle class newly unemployed. They wanted to avoid a mortgage meltdown like 05-06. And because they can't give money to suburbia and not the inner city and stay in office, they gave it to everyone. And they never realized that people would lay back on it like the lazy bums they are, instead of returning to their jobs. Giving away other peoples money is a big rush always screws the pooch.
Actually the lesson they didn't heed happened from 05-07 when the states extended unemployment benefits for 2 years instead of 6 months. My son couldn't find a job until 3 days after his benefits ran out. He drove combines and tractors whatever the local farm conglomerate needed cash money for those 2yrs. In the winter he was an oyster man. There are still jobs out there, but some that make $20 hr won't work a job that pays $18hr.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,704 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Ya and some who had not had a real job in 10 years were getting $2500 a month even though they were weren't working to begin with. Soon as word got around that unemployment benefit applications were being redballed through the system with no investigations, every dead beat was online and filing away..

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
You guys like to use math but...
In many, if not most, cases the jobs are not there to go back to and there are very few new jobs.
Not everyone who is unemployed is a deadbeat.

·
not sober all the time
5,577 Posts
You guys like to use math but...
In many, if not most, cases the jobs are not there to go back to and there are very few new jobs.
Not everyone who is unemployed is a deadbeat.
Not everyone is a deadbeat but paying someone $800 per week to stay at home while their co-worker is paid $600 to work 40 hours is legislation gone terribly wrong. This and similar situations occurred with this irresponsible legislation and now many want to extend it. It is typical of our welfare system which is a huge disincentive for lower income citizens to strive for achievement.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Not everyone is a deadbeat but paying someone $800 per week to stay at home while their co-worker is paid $600 to work 40 hours is legislation gone terribly wrong. This and similar situations occurred with this irresponsible legislation and now many want to extend it. It is typical of our welfare system which is a huge disincentive for lower income citizens to strive for achievement.
Assuming your math is correct, I cannot disagree.
Also where I live many jobs are low pay service based. Maybe not typical.

·
Registered
16,704 Posts
Not everyone is a deadbeat but paying someone $800 per week to stay at home while their co-worker is paid $600 to work 40 hours is legislation gone terribly wrong.
Does this deadbeat thing you speak of have any openings? How does one apply? I think I'd like a position there.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,033 Posts
Mid March to Mid May,I was receiving more take home pay laid off than working 40 hrs. However,I didn't contribute to my 401k or savings account while on the dole.

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Unemployment was supposed to be survival money, it was not intended to maintain your quality of life or actually improve it. And if you don't have at least three months of expenses banked, you are not living responsibly. Three month wont see you through a financial disaster or pandemic, but it gives you a little time to speak with the people you owe money too and work something out. And it gives them some time to realize that they need to bend in the wind and play the long game.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thermodyne....Seemingly you and others are making it the recipients fault for receiving the money. At least that's the way I'm interpreting it. We can argue that 600/week might be excessive (at the worst) or survival (at the least.) If money is offered.....people are gonna take it. Nobody ASKED for 600/week...it was offered. Some might even say "thank you". What most don't realize is while the $1200 bailout is not taxable, the 600/week is...at the persons regular tax rate. Gonna be fun when push comes to shove there.

Now...the quandary: the Republicans want to cut it to $200/week. Dems want to extend 600/week until the end of 2020. The Republicans want to give folks an incentive to return to work. maybe $450 to do so. But...where are the jobs? Hundreds of stores... big chains and Mom&POP have closed, some permanently. Thousands just in retail have nothing to go back to. Stores like Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply all have signage "We're Hiring". Really? Or do they just wanna find out what's out there? Neighbor got a response from one....Per Diem...at 8.55/hour. Whaddaya' nuts? Stay on unemployment until the end. At the very least, he has a definable income however temporary it might be.

My company...massive FURLOUGHS.Technically still employed until a certain date. Then....poof. I'm still working. Am I the lucky one? Making less money than the furloughed guys.....but I don't hold anything against them. I'd rather work.

I speculate: Republicans want $200/week for how many weeks? Dems want $600/week until the end of 2020. They're negotiating. Perhaps end up at 3-4 hundred a week until ?. It's a rough situation no matter how you look at it. But don't blame the recipient for taking what's offered.

·
Registered
16,704 Posts
And if you don't have at least three months of expenses banked, you are not living responsibly.
I'm in that boat now. I've been off since mid-March using vacation time to keep us going. My official lay off date is 7/2. I've filed for unemployment but haven't received anything yet. Company insurance (which is vital for now) ended 7/31, so I've signed up for COBRA coverage.

We're not going to starve and they aren't going to repo anything even if unemployment doesn't come through. If a job doesn't come through by the first of the year, the wife and I have decided I'll just draw SS and find a part time gig just to keep from continuing draining our savings and hitting my 401k.

We'd never have been able to do this without living within (under) our means since I've been married.

Reactions: Uncle Salty

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
I'm in that boat now. I've been off since mid-March using vacation time to keep us going. My official lay off date is 7/2. I've filed for unemployment but haven't received anything yet. Company insurance (which is vital for now) ended 7/31, so I've signed up for COBRA coverage.

We're not going to starve and they aren't going to repo anything even if unemployment doesn't come through. If a job doesn't come through by the first of the year, the wife and I have decided I'll just draw SS and find a part time gig just to keep from continuing draining our savings and hitting my 401k.

We'd never have been able to do this without living within (under) our means since I've been married.
I hear that! In my experience the two biggest causes of people going broke are living above their means and using "hope" as part of a financial plan.

I have a lot of friends who bought big houses back after credit got easy in the lat 90's Houses that are eating up a big chunk of their earnings because they bought more than they could realistically afford. And they got by refinancing every five years or so. Now they are faced with retirement, and all of their net value is in a home that they still owe 20 years on. And it will be a hard sell for what they owe on it. Its the same guys who used to razz me because I drove a rusty old pickup and lived in a small house out in the sticks.

·
not sober all the time
5,577 Posts
don't blame the recipient for taking what's offered.
I don't think anyone here is blaming the recipient for taking what is offered. Our welfare state has conditioned many to expect help from the government and not take control of their own destiny. If you give away free stuff for a while, next thing you know there will be some that can't live without it.

·
Registered
16,704 Posts
I hear that! In my experience the two biggest causes of people going broke are living above their means and using "hope" as part of a financial plan.
You'll notice I stated I started saving when i got married. When i was single, i never thought I'd live to see 30. When I reached that age, I decided living was pretty awesome and I'd better get my poop in a group.

If I would have started saving when I should have, I could retire now and not worry. So now I'm paying the piper.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

21 - 37 of 37 Posts