V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 1995 Softail since new, and have almost literally riding it around the world after purchacing it in Germany. Lot's of blood, sweat and tear have gone into this bike. That is no exageration when I say tears. I recently went on a 6,000 mile round trip to Canada on it.

When I got home from that trip, I got a 01 RKC a week later. After the first day I knew my softail would see very limited miles in the future. For the type of long distance riding I do, the RK is perfect.

I wonder if it's worth it to keep the softail insured when it won't be ridden much at all. I could sell it, but I know I would miss it terribly, at first anyway. But, it is just a material posession after all. It could make someone else happy.

Any body else been faced with such a dellima? I know there are worse things than having two Harley's in the garage to worry about. The only real reason I see keeping it is to have an extra bike in case company comes over. I say I could hot rod it out, but I wouldn't; too lazy, no funds, no skills, no time etc.

What ever I do, I need to just do it and quit talking about it. Like ripping of a band aid. One quick swipe.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm kinda in the same situation....a garage full of bikes that don't get ridden very much since I bought my '05 FLHTI. But, alas, I did put my former "daily ride" up for sale (the other bikes are dirt bikes/kids' bikes for week end use and are staying). But I left it kind of "open ended" on my part. If I don't get the asking price then I'll hang onto it, drop the insurance down to just PL/PD and keep it for my son for when he gets his license in a couple more years. I could use the room and I could use the cash but I'd just have to buy him a different bike and it's already paid for.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Miss it

I'd keep it if possible. Most people regret getting rid of once favorite rides. What I'd do is drop the insurance. Put the bike on a battery tender and in a short term storage condition and wait! Wait a few months till you once again look at her with that old lust in your eye's. Then clean her up detail the hell out of her grab some insurance and once again ride that old bike. I'll bet it will put a grin on your face.:cheers:

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Got to go with biggums on this one.
I have a 93 FLSTC and a 99 EG. The 99 EG is a great road bike, but the 93 has a place in my heart since I got it new. Of cource I use them two different ways, If its just me, I take the EVO, if the OL comes along the EG keeps us both happy.
I love the old EVO and the looks of the bike can not be beat.
Wait untill spring to decide, you will get a better price if you sell it and you can make the decision after thinking about it for a little longer.
Good luck on what ever path you take.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
KEEP IT!!! talk to your insurance guy, they can keep your comprehensive only for about $40 a year. That way it's easy to restart the liability coverage any time your gonna ride it and you protect yourself. Also, you'll still get a preferred rate when you start up your liability insurance again. Insurance companies DO NOT like to write ins on vehicles that have gone uninsured even if for only one day!
The big bonus is when your OL divorces you, no court in the land is gonna give her BOTH bikes! so, you'll at least still have a bike left to go with the clothes on your back(which is all you'll have left!)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am in the same boat. I have my dyna wide glide, but I am ppurchasing a 2004 bagger so I have to sell my dyna. I am in the military and traveling around every 3-4 years you need to remain mobile as possible and 2 bikes are out of the question. It was part of the deal when I decided to get the 2004 was to sell the 2000 dyna. I feel your pain friend.:chopper:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have an 01 FXSTI and loved riding everywhere until I bought my 04 FLHPI. Thought I would probably sell the 01 but found that their are times that I have a certain itch that can only be scratched by it. I am paying on both and could really use some financial relief. Wont do it though. Two specific bikes for two specific purposes. I think you may find the same to be true in time.
Ron

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
In Louisiana, you have to turn in your tag if you drop your liability. Sell the bike, think of all the shiney stuff you can put on the RK

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
I'd keep it. We sold my 1981 Sturgis years ago and have regretted it ever since. This time, we kept the 92 Softail when we got the 02 Road King. A guy I ride with had this philosophy -- if you get a great day to go for a ride and you have two bikes AND if one has a problem, you still get to go riding.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Since you're not using the (second) bike much, you might insure it for liability only. That's what I do for my second bike.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Only you can make the call, since only you know how much you really want to keep it.

FWIW, I dated my wife on my FXR, we got Married on it, I rode it to the church in my Tux, pics taken on it, etc. Both my kids have there pics taken on it when they were born, etc. Lots of great times and memories with that bike. I'd always swore I'd never get rid of it, it's paid for, so many memories, etc.

Then, this year I bought an FLHT, rebuilt it and ride the living hell out of it. My wife fell in love with the bigger bike and said her days of being on the FXR were over. I still thought, hell, I'll keep it for my bar-to-bar bike and use the FLHT for the long hauls. Funny thing is, I set up the FLHT with a solo saddle and quick detach tour pac and it simply does everything I want it to do. There is not a short or long ride that I don't want to take the FLHT on. At the end of the summer I fired up the FXR and took it for a 2 hour ride. I came home and everything had changed. Sure it is raked and lowered and loud and chromed and cool as hell, but it just didn't do it for me anymore. I had crossed over to the "Bagger side" and wasn't coming back. ;)

I never thought the day would come, but I now walk into the garage and look at the FXR and know I'm putting it up for sale in the spring and have no regrets what so ever.

In some sick way, I think it will be happier to. It will get to be the center of somebody's attention again and not play second fiddle to a 40 yr old and his bagger. I'm hoping some young maniac looks at it, buys it and it spends its Saturday nights screaming around the Streets of NYC and North Jersey like it used to.

·
4142 Tool Steel Balls
106 Posts
I will admit, when I first sold my shovel I felt almost like someone else was banging my girl...But, I didn't have another bike at the time either.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
I'd keep it. Take the insurance off and park it for a while. I've kept my 1982 FXS year after year. Every time I think about selling it, I just forget about it.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
adlerx said:
KEEP IT!!! talk to your insurance guy, they can keep your comprehensive only for about $40 a year. That way it's easy to restart the liability coverage any time your gonna ride it and you protect yourself. Also, you'll still get a preferred rate when you start up your liability insurance again. Insurance companies DO NOT like to write ins on vehicles that have gone uninsured even if for only one day!
The big bonus is when your OL divorces you, no court in the land is gonna give her BOTH bikes! so, you'll at least still have a bike left to go with the clothes on your back(which is all you'll have left!)
DO IT, Do it NOW.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
KEEP IT!

I must ride my 04 Glide 99% of the time, but my Evo remains my pride and Joy..the "bar bike" of the family.

I often times have the same thoughts..."who needs two motorcycles..insurance, maintainence, plates"..etc..etc..

On the other hand, my Evo was my very first Harley. I still remember my very first ride, the first time she ran out of gas, the first time the bike got me laid...EVERYTHING :D

On top of that, I have three close friends that love to ride, but cannot afford a Harley, so it's not at all uncommon for one of these guys to stop by, and borrow the Evo.

I like the fact that we can ride together, or that they can ride by themselves, if I have other things to do.

In short, I'm keeping mine.

good luck with your decision.

David

1 - 15 of 15 Posts