V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody using a degree wheel on the twin cams? I want to cut up a cylinder head, run a degree wheel, and see just how close my valves really get.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
We use an S&S degree wheel or a Crane degree wheel depending on which is closer to the engine that we are working on.

·
not sober all the time
5,861 Posts
When I did my 95" upgrade I Googled one up, printed it out and taped it to a piece of board that I cut to size and drilled a hole in. It worked pretty good for a basically free unit. I just wanted to check the cam timing for the heck of it, just to say I did. :beer:

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
wouldn't it be easier to just put clay in the valve pockets on the pistons and turn the motor over ?? This can be done in less than 30 minutes and is the most reliable method for checking the clearances on your valves to pistons.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ooops I should've been specific, I want to check valve to valve clearance NOT valve to piston, I have clayed mine and other pistons for valve to piston clearance.

·
Registered
632 Posts
You could set the head up with test springs and a Trock fixture and measure like that. You just won't be able to measure with the cams in a mechanical way like that. You'd have to trust the cam specs.

K.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Playing around with valve sizes, my cams have a valve to valve minimum spec--measured while on the seat. just curious, trying to learn as much as possible

·
Registered
632 Posts
Interesting thread, and I'm definitely no expert, but I like to learn also... So, I'm thinking with different valve sizes you'll need to take into account whether or not you'll need to replace or machine the seats, and how the valves will be sunk.

K.

·
Registered
487 Posts
most cam sheets have the tdc numbers listed you can do it head off with a veneer if the springs are removed if you are using non stock rockers you will need to do some math to get the corrected numbers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts