V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone run deer whistles on there bike. if so where did you put them thanks:wootdnc:

·
03 FLHTCUI
375 Posts
Be real, real careful how you mount them. If you get them on backward, they actually call the deer to you.

Ride Safe.
Walt

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
Don't bother, that puny little devise won't accomplish what a train whistle cant. We hit 'em all the time with trains, even at lower speeds.

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :clap: :clap: ok thanks i was just wondering

·
Here We Go, Steelers
64 Posts
I got a Hornet deer whistle as a gift but I haven't installed it yet. It's powered from the battery and maintains the same frequency regardless of the vehicle speed. I'm sure it is much different than a train whistle, but I'm no acoustical engineer. I do wonder if it's effective though. Here in PA it's like playing Russian roulette every time we ride.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here in PA it's like playing Russian roulette every time we ride.
It's similar here in MN. Our family has a heard of over 400 whitetails that frequent our fields evey night, with similar sized heards all around ours. We were finally issued a letter to basically shoot at will. It doesn't help. Poor state management has resulted in extreame overpopulation.

I had two deer hits in '91. One was in the front that took me into a ditch full of cattails and water. This was at around the 55mph speed limit. It took 4 people to get that old Honda CB650 out of the mud.

Second time I was only going around 15mph in a small town and was taken from the side. It flattened me out. Hurt like hell. There's probably been a dozen near misses since these. Day & night.

·
Here We Go, Steelers
64 Posts
Sounds rough. Not that bad in my area. But it gets worse the farther you get from civilization. When you consider all of the injuries, deaths, and property damage caused by deer accidents, you would think that we could do a better job of controlling their numbers. Unfortunately, they no longer have any natural predators around here (other than me and my buddies with our rifles) and we've pretty much flushed them out of their natural habitats. The fact that you could smash into a deer at any time is just one of those things that you have to simply accept and enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Don't waste your money on the whistles. I'm an autobody tech and we fix as many deer hits on whistle installed vehicles as ones without.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree Patriot. If those critters ignore the sound of an 18 wheeler coming at em, or even the sound of those Vtwins with straight pipes, what good is some friggin whistle gonna do? Ive had my share of close calls with deer myself laying down on the horn and still 3 more jump across the road in front of me. Deer whistles are a bogus product if Ive ever seen one.-2$en#e-

·
Registered
1 Posts
hornet deer whistle

the hornet I have came with a registration card that was good for $500 of your comp. deductible if you do hit a deer. $49 to save $500? hope not to need it.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Milehog said:
Don't bother, that puny little devise won't accomplish what a train whistle cant. We hit 'em all the time with trains, even at lower speeds.
Do you know a clean mounting setup for a K5LA on an Ultra?

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Deer whistles are a "tool" that you have to understand how they work to know how to use them. They don't make you invincible to deer any more than a radar detector makes you invisible to law enforcement.

I run whistles under the floorboards of my Road Glide. The only time I hear them is when riding past a wall that bounces the noises back at me.

This topic has come up a few time..... <-here-> or --- <-here->

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
I do a whole lot of night riding with about 30% of my milage on my Ultra being logged at night. When I do ride and visibility is reduced do to not enough light I try to be extra vigulant, I look for them and don't day dream. What I also do is on both my bikes I put the best quality, brightest Xeon bulbs I can find. I do not skimp in this area. When its low light or dark I always run with my passing lamps on and I have mine set with each turned slightly outward to give a flood light effect to the sides of the road. I think the best device for deer avoidance is your eyes. I do not think the deer whistles work and can cause a false sense of security. Another thing I do on old country roads at night is ride very close to the middle (of course looking for road trash) it gives me more usable road for avoidance. I was told once by a friend in who is a biologist for the Alaska Dept of Wildlife Management that as far as whistles go if you don't hear it, neither do the deer. They do not hear in the frequency range that these whistles emmit sound to.

Just thought I would ad these.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/bio99/bio99110.htm

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting...sed_deer_whistles_for_his_SUV._Do_they_work__

A well written University paper:
http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb1677/eb1677.html

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
If I sneak up on you and say "BOO" the odds are that you will involuntarily react. But if you hear me sneaking up you just lift your head and look at me and continue to chew.

That is all deer whistles do. They project a different noise forward in your direction of travel and the deer do not get spooked and end up running in 10 different directions at once. Spooking them by honking your horn or flashing your lights just blinds them will only make more dead deer and Body Shop owners very happy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.