V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a reminder to all that it's getting cooler for some of us and the deer like this weather.

Had one really close call today that got my heart racing. I saw a lot more than that too.

Farmers also start moving heavy equipement for the harvest now.

Be careful this time of year!

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Yup, I'm doing a little less exploring of sleepy, two-lane country roads lately. Bambi can jump out at you anywhere but I figure a more traveled route may be a better choice. Of course, the cell phone chatters are every friggin' place. They all want to kill us. Going to take my medication now.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MadCity said:
Going to take my medication now.

What proof is your medicine?!!drunk!

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Almost hit a fox, golden retriever and a deer taday and almost got hit by a car of 4 girls. The driver looked right at me when I was ten feet away and pulled right out. Good thing I was expecting it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Excellent thread..... and advice !

I'm still 'aching and ailing', along with 'limping and gimping' from breaking just about the entire right half of my body during my meeting with bambi in April of 2003.

:yikes: :wacko:

Would not wish that experience on anyone..... and being older means the recovery goes a lot slower. :duh?:

Y'all be safe out there.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DaveT, OUCH! That sucks but I'm sure glad you are alright now.

I'm more concerned about deer then other drivers. With drivers you at least know where that will be coming from(roads) but deer can come out anywere. I've seen road-kill deer in the city before.

And here's a video reminder of how quickly they can appear. I've posted this before but it never hurts to be reminded.

·
scooter coot
321 Posts
Great reminder. It'll get worse before it gets better.
The bow deer season opened this weekend and hopefully me and my buddies can do our part to thin the herd. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Right, i'm currently at the Ruidoso rally; Deer everywhere;like rats. slow down and keep the eyes peeled.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by hdmarsh77
I've seen road-kill deer in the city before.
Being a Madison fella, I'm sure you're familiar with Raymond Road. It's a pretty urban thoroughfare, and I encountered a very impressive dead buck lying in the middle of the damn road a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Buddy of mine struck one with his '07 EGC Friday night.
He's in serious condition.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Happily, the giant field rat is dead.

I HATE those dadgum things.

Kill deer! Many many deer!
If you hunt, take your limit!!!
If you don't hunt - START!!!!

They make tasty sausage, chili, jerky, etc.
KILL THEM!!!!!!!!!! EAT THEM!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I went down last year about this time on account of bambi. I saw a whole [email protected] this past saturday including a group of 6 just playing on someones front yard, I'll bet they feed them.

The best thing is to slow down and look harder for them. Give yourself a little more time for evasive manure and or breaking.

·
Registered
284 Posts
LE PEW said:
I went down last year about this time on account of bambi. I saw a whole [email protected] this past saturday including a group of 6 just playing on someones front yard, I'll bet they feed them.

The best thing is to slow down and look harder for them. Give yourself a little more time for evasive manure and or breaking.
Kinda difficult to look harder for them at 4:30 am and it's pitch black outside and nothing but corn fields on both sides of you! The way I look at it is, if it's going to happen there is nothing I'm going to be able to do about it. I'll just have to make some of those evasive moves you are referring to and hope for the best.

·
Registered
213 Posts
DaveT said:
Excellent thread..... and advice !

I'm still 'aching and ailing', along with 'limping and gimping' from breaking just about the entire right half of my body during my meeting with bambi in April of 2003.

:yikes: :wacko:

Would not wish that experience on anyone..... and being older means the recovery goes a lot slower. :duh?:

Y'all be safe out there.

I too am a charter member of the "Two wheel huntin' club" You are right, still hurts (Apr 2002)

·
Registered
977 Posts
fixerdj said:
I too am a charter member of the "Two wheel huntin' club" You are right, still hurts (Apr 2002)
Yup..... I've told many folks that hunting deer with a rifle is so much easier than using a Harley ! :wacko:

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
DaveT said:
Yup..... I've told many folks that hunting deer with a rifle is so much easier than using a Harley ! :wacko:
That is one of the reason I support hunting even though I don't hunt myself. Better hunters get the deer on purpose than I get one on accident with one of my vehicles.

Deer seem to be overwhelmingly stupid. I saw one on the shoulder of the road last night and he just watched me ride up on my bike. When I got close he ran away from me - and all was good. Then he changed his mind and ran right back in front of me across the road where he originally wanted to go. If I hadn't slowed way down to see where he was going to run off to I might have hit him.

·
Registered
338 Posts
fixerdj said:
Aug. 1985. I see my scars everyday. They are thicker now than back then. I also plan on doing my part in November. Funny thing is you can buy as many tags as you can afford but the population keeps growing.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
We were in Tomahawk, WI at the rally this past weekend and stayed in a hotel about 20 minutes south. On our back to the hotel there were a few deer right along the road. When you see that riding at night you are kind of at their mercy if they are going to cross. I like riding at night and would do it a lot more if it weren't for the deer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts