V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home from a work trip today. I saw a small church bus parked off the road with the doors open and the interior lights on. I was looking at the bus wondering what they were doing. I was travling about 50 looked back at the road and there was a good size Deer laying dead right in the middle of my lane. By the time I saw it, I heard the thump from running over it, then a few seconds later heard another thump. I must have dragged it for a while. I was driving a Dodge Magnum so there is no ground clearance. I can't see any damage underneath, but I will have to wait to look in the light.

I am thankful it I was not on my Bike. I saw one last night about the same time get hit. I saw a big cloud of dust and fur and then the deer along side the road kicking and convulsing.

Be Careful It's gun season

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me while I was on my bike (an old CB360). I was following a van (way too close). The next thing I knew there was a deer shooting out from underneath the van, fortunately it was not a fresh kill & was somewhat flatttened. After the thump thump & my heart slowed back down I decided that it was a good idea not to follow so close.

·
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
csoday said:
Save the back strap.
Only thing saved is some fur on the back of my car. I could scrap it up and drop in a enevelope if you want it.:blink:

·
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Waiting for AAA to pick the car up and take it to the dealer. It is leaking antifreeze. It's my company car. The bad things is the only other vehicles I have are a Road King (can't carry all my tools) and a old pickup. Guess I will be driving the truck about 250 miles today, It's going to be a long one.
Longer after I tell my Boss ran over a deer.:unsure:

·
Banned
621 Posts
csoday said:
Save the back strap.
Had one run into the side of my pontoon couple years ago. After pulling over to assess damage to the boat, an older couple in an even older mazda stopped while I was dragging the deer out of the center of the road. Actually was thinking of a bike rounding the curve in the dark scenario. Old couple asked if I didn't want the young doe could I help them load it up. Folks in the Bronco with me couldn't believe someone would do something like that. I helped them load it up in the back of their truck with bags of cans and other scrap that obviously was part of their income. Felt good to know the animal wasn't going to the buzzards but would provide for some less fortunate locals.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Glad your ok Jonas. Could have been worse.

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
I was riding through a small town this morning on the way to work when a deer popped out right in front of me. I was only going 30 or so (thank God) and was able to get right around her. She was a solo which really surpised me.

I think what scarred me worse was the behavior of the cager that was travelling in the opposite direction. Travelling even slower, this monkey started heading over to my lane without looking (he was staring at the deer).

I find it amazing that cagers can see a deer, but not the bike with his brights on.:duh?:

·
Tx Road Hog
78 Posts
Careful because of gun season??

Jonas said:
Yeah, opening weekend for wildlife management and filling the freezer starting today. With any luck the population will be a lot thinner by Monday! Fewer of 'em to run out in the road.:woohoo:

·
Tx Road Hog
78 Posts
Low_Rider said:
I find it amazing that cagers can see a deer, but not the bike with his brights on.:duh?:
LowRider, most people will probably wreck their car and/or possibly injure humans to keep from hitting an animal of anykind. Miss the deer but run the biker off the road, go figure.:dry:

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
Be careful, it's the rut (mating season). Hunting (gun/archery) season coorelates to the rut. It is the rut and the insatiable appetite for mating that is causing the more deer movement, not the fact that hunters are in the woods w/ guns.

This time of year all my mc riding is relegated to prime daylight hours and the dusk/dawn hours to sitting in a treestand w/ the mossyoak and the high country archery w/ an arrow nocked.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
FLHRI-Tom said:
Be careful, it's the rut (mating season). Hunting (gun/archery) season coorelates to the rut. It is the rut and the insatiable appetite for mating that is causing the more deer movement, not the fact that hunters are in the woods w/ guns.

This time of year all my mc riding is relegated to prime daylight hours and the dusk/dawn hours to sitting in a treestand w/ the mossyoak and the high country archery w/ an arrow nocked.
Blast away Tom....How many of the little bastards can you kill.:lurker:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Jonas said:
Its not the hunters that push the deer out, its the rut. Northen part of the country gun season is not for couple weeks.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Looks like eastern part of state has season from Oct 15-jan2. But rest of state is late November.
Your not a hunter are you? Like I said its not hunter pushing the deer. You should be thanking them, better yet pick up a gun and get rid of few. The deer, not the hunters.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
berserker said:
Your not a hunter are you? Like I said its not hunter pushing the deer. You should be thanking them, better yet pick up a gun and get rid of few. The deer, not the hunters.
No doubt...too [email protected] many of them. Not sure why...I guess it's a lack of natural predators and mild winters.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Stratplexi said:
No doubt...too [email protected] many of them. Not sure why...I guess it's a lack of natural predators and mild winters.
That and the fact that almost everyone has planted a smorgasbord for them to munch on...

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
The deer population boom has a lot of reason's. There are more deer now than when this country was settled. I had a freind who grew up in Loudoun County, he was 60 years old when he told me this story in 1974 or so. He was 14 years old when he saw his first deer. He thought at first one of the goats had wandered off.

The reason's are mature forest can't support as many deer as those forrest that have been logged. Logging or clear cutting provides new growth that the deer can reach to eat. Muture forrest drop there mast and that's pretty much it.

Developement creates clearings and edges for new growth, all the things that deer need. The new growth creates easy to reach food. Farmers crops create a staggering amount of food for deer. Until recently crops were not classified as deer habitat. I have seen them live in a corn field all summer and never leave it for the most part.

Back in the day does would have one, maybe two fawns. It's very common to see them with three now. It's all related to how much food the doe is getting during the time she is carrying her fawns. If food get's tough for any reason, she has the ability to abort her fawns.

The last book I read on the subject said deer have over 600 native plant species that they will eat. That's what's in the wild. Kattie bar the door on the $10,000.00 landscaping you just had done.

People say there is a lack of predation, I disagree. There are hunter's in record numbers hitting the woods will all kinds of expanded seasons and bag limits. Now, I once heard it said that 10% of the hunters account for 90% of the deer killled and there maybe something to that.

·
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
berserker said:
Looks like eastern part of state has season from Oct 15-jan2. But rest of state is late November.
Not sure your asking me. But I am not a hunter. No problem with hunters. I just don't have the time, the pateince, or the desire to shoot something that has no return fire. Unless I'm hungrey. Good luck, I hope you get your quota.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
vafatboy said:
Back in the day does would have one, maybe two fawns. It's very common to see them with three now. It's all related to how much food the doe is getting during the time she is carrying her fawns. If food get's tough for any reason, she has the ability to abort her fawns.
only one more thought to add to a very complete explanation: in times of famine, disease, or over predation (hunting too) the ability to "drop" more fawns proves equal to the task of keeping up the count...

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
FATVETTE said:
Blast away Tom....How many of the little bastards can you kill.:lurker:
I usually take up to three per year if I'm lucky (enough to fill my deep freeze w/ venison). Nothing big or spectacular, just meat. With the liberal bag limits in NJ, one can pretty much take a "doe a day". I met a guy who bagged 13 deer in one season.

In PA, it is one buck and one doe if you get a stamp. In NY, my father-in-law got me some type of farmers nuisance permit for his farm (not sure what the rules are there).

Most of my deer are harvested in NJ. If anyone has access to private land in NJ, they could have some serious fun hunting. The deer population where I hunt in NJ is staggering.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts