V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again to all, this is my secon post but I really need your help, here´s the story:

Yestarday I received my new 2003 Fatboy, I pick it up at about 12 noon, from the dealership, I went and put about 30 kilometers and i got back to work, at about 3 o´clock i came home with my new toy, and let me tell you, all hell broke loose, I have not told my wife i bougth it i want it to be a surprise, and the surprise was for me, she got so angry i thought she was having a seizure or something, she started telling me that bikes are a walkin coffin, that they are the most dangerous things on earth, bla,bla,bla,bla, that she wanted me to return it rigth now, even my 7 year old son got in her act telling me that no bikes where allowed in our home, my only ally was my 4 year old that wanted me to give him a ride around the house, to make a long and sad story short, of course I´m not going to give up my new toy, but how can I convinced my wife that if i do this and i be carefull there is nothing to worry about, what can i tell her so she understands, i even try to take her for a ride and she (of course) didn´t accept, please i need your help, I´m desperate and i dont want to ride behind her back because i think riding is a thing i have to fully enjoy.
What about the wifes of other members, how do you persuade your wifes?
And to those ladies in this forum, what is the best way to tell her theres nothing to worry about.

I really apresiate all your help, Thanks

Desperate Man

Sorry for all this whining but you are the ones that can help me.
Here in Mexico drivers have a bad reputation for not caring for bikes.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Two Options:

1. I dated a Mexican gal for over a year. She was always right. I know that because she told me she was. Keep the wife or the Fatboy, it's not gonna be both...

2. Head back to your dealer and buy a back rest for your wife. Add some really cool and sexy riding gear to the bill for her (Be sure you buy boots. Footwear is critical. Doesn't matter if she is Mexican, American or from Mars, all women worship shoes). Install the backrest, wrap up the clothes and boots in decorative paper. Apoligize, give her the gifts. Wait for the perfect weather to ride. Sweet talk her onto the rear seat and take her for a SLOW, CAREFULL ride...

If that doesn't work, see #1

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
HELL KNOWS NO RATH LIKE A WOMAN SCORNED. WISH I HAD SOME GOOD NEWS FOR YA. SEE #1 ABOVE.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Good Luck

I ordered my Fatboy when the wife was in FL. tending to the house we are trying to sell. I called her and told her what I did. She was pissed. She had a week to cool off before I saw her.

Then it was 6 weeks before the bike came in. She started to get use to the idea. The big help was the Leather jacket, matching chaps and purse. Very lady like riding gear with fringe and purple rose inlays on all three items. She started to calm down.

Buying when I did was not the smartest thing I've done. Whe have a house in FL with a large mortgage, rent in TN. and a large payment on a lake front lot in TN we plan to build on. Her last words were you better not let this screw up our dream log home on the lake.

I sure hope I do not screw it up. Still have the house in FL, sure wish it would sell. However I do not regret for one minute getting the 03 Fatboy.

I was thinking it almost came to #1 above. Damn I would have missed her, but the bike is here to stay.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Re: Good Luck

FLSTFI Dave said:

The big help was the Leather jacket, matching chaps and purse. Very lady like riding gear with fringe and purple rose inlays on all three items.
Hey alien...he bought his OL an outfit just like yours.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
#1 she's right, bikes are very dangerous.
#2 Take a motorcycle safety course, prove to her you're serious about being safe.
#3 Apologize for not discsussing it with her first.
#4 Apologize again.
#5 see number #3

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Well she is right about it being dangerous. Don't tell her how good you are or how safe you will be or that nothing is going to happen.

Tell her you KNOW it is dangerous BUT this is something you have CHOSEN to do.

Now go out and buy one of them lame ass T-Shirts that says,

Si tengo que explicar usted no entendería.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Sirius Black said:

........I have not told my wife i bougth it i want it to be a surprise......

1. That was a really bad mistake.
2. How long have you been married?
3. If you did it this time you probably have done it before (the surprise thing), so what did you do all the other times to get out of trouble?
4. Think your kind of screwed here.

But there is always a bright side........give me some time and I'll think of it.

Best of luck

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission - Not this time! At this point I think you're down to one option - See #1

·
2003 1200 Custom S&B
37 Posts
I know you are not looking for a lecture but I am going to give you one anyways. I have been married 30 years and it did not take me long to firgure out not to do anything significant behind her back. My way of doing things is to soften her up over time. It took me about six months of sweet talking and pointing out every HD we saw on the road and starying at it until I almost run off the road to convince her. In addition her life long dream was to own a scooter. So I purchased her a $2K yamaha scooter. I got my 03 1200C just before Xmas and she now wants to ride with me all the time and has not rode her scooter since before Xmas. Anyone want to buy a very little used scooter with less than 50 miles. Point here is not to surprise the significant other but take a little time and soften her up. That's my story and I am sticken to it.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
...good luck Bro, you're gonna need it. Now first of all ignore this;

"1. ....... Keep the wife or the Fatboy, it's not gonna be both...":(

...this is the better route and for the next six months minimum, consider yourself henpecked, no longer the boss, somewhat screwed;

(DJW)
#1 she's right, bikes are very dangerous. "Agree with her and discuss with her hearing her fear for you. She's scared she gonna lose you. Don't minimize her fears."
#2 Take a motorcycle safety course, prove to her you're serious about being safe.
#3 Apologize for not discsussing it with her first.
#4 Apologize again.
#5 see number #3

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
i had been begging and pleading for one for six
months. i asked the wife what do i have to do
just go get one. she said if you want one that
is what you will have to do cause she didnt want
to say yes. well i did it saturday and told her.
she doesnt believe me. guess she will when i
pull up on it.

ben

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Re: Re: Good Luck

dave51 said:

Hey alien...he bought his OL an outfit just like yours.
I thought something similar when I read it, I tend to rent my OL anyway, never said I do and I probably won't. If you want to stay, stay!! If you want to leave, leave. I must be a real ass as they all left !!(still friends with a couple though :D)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
See #3 over and over. Accessories are always good and women DO worship shoes. I was terrified of motorcycles until I rode on the back of the SO's. One month later, had my Fatboy!!! Some things we have to accept about other people, it might be easy for me to say because I ride, but she should try to understand. Maybe she will over time. I'm not sticking up for my gender though because a lot of women are beeyatches and there's not much to do about it, hope you don't have one of those because you'll need to see #1 at the beginning!

·
Registered
81 Posts
"He's the Man..."

Sirius.... Dude you got a set of cajones big enough to come in a dump truck... That is gutsy.... My hat is off to you... I'd never have the stones to do something like that, that is why I am single.... Hmmmmm, let's see, married with 2 kids, you make a MAJOR purchase without consulting her, you make a promise that you can't possibly keep (That of being safe and no accidents), unless of course you never ride it... Dude, all I can say is you better seek another place to sleep or learn to sleep with one eye open.... She could go Lorena on you.... My advice is to LISTEN to what her concerns are, and reply to them FACTUALLY, not personally... Straight up, tell her you bought it for you, cause that is what you prolly did.. Cuz if you bought it for the both of you, you would have done it together... That is what that thing called marriage is all about.. Compromises and stuff... Just watch your back, and be good to that woman if she lets you keep it.. cuz if she does let you keep it, you are gonna be forever indebted to her, literally!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Man we are screwing up here! We have overlooked the obvious!

Ok, the guy is in Mexico, right???

SEE MY SIG LINE! IT WORKS EVERY TIME!

·
Registered
81 Posts
JimmyK.... 2 Friggin Funny..... Spot on as well....

1 - 20 of 121 Posts