V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as the title of this thread states, today while giving my bike it’s first real “bath” in it’s first 740 miles (it’s only two weeks old remember) I found what was making the initial “squeaking” of the bike.

“Squeaking” you say? Yes. When I first picked up the Bike I noticed (more like heard) a squeaking sound when I would go over bumps or dips in the road. Mentioned this to my Dealer (note I did not say Stealer, continue reading to find out why) and they said they would check it out on the 1000 mile maintenance service.

So, forward to this last Sunday, when I rode in the Fire Rescue ride (84 miles non-stop through many bumps and dips) I made a mental note to myself that the “squeaking” had completely disappeared.

Today I gave the bike a good wash (Been riding too much to wash her up till today) and noticed when wiping the swing arm that there was scrapped paint, that when touched with a finger revealed a groove about the depth of a washer.

Called up my dealer and they told me to bring it in to take a look, and if any parts need to be replaced, they would do it next Wednesday while my bike was in for it’s scheduled 1000 mile service (yes, I will have 1000 miles plus by next week).

After inspecting the bike the dealer admitted that when they installed the saddle bag guards, that they forgot a washer that caused a hex screw to scrape against the swing arm, digging into metal of the swing arm till enough metal was removed that the bolt no longer was “gouging” into the swing arm and the reason why the “squeaking” was present, and then “mysteriously” disappeared.

Now my dealer told me, since they messed up, they will replace the swing arm free of charge (no sh1t, they f^cking better!) but also gave me the choice if I wanted to pay their dealer cost/difference between the black swing arm and a chrome swing arm (around $350.00).

OK, enough of the narrative, what the hell am I trying to say? I am trying to communicate that I am getting a chrome swing arm installed on my Fatboy for $350.00 because the service technician while installing the Saddle Bag guards forgot a washer. The Dealer fesses up and is trying to make the best of the situation without any grief. My Dealer is Rockville Harley in case anyone is curious. I am very happy about how my dealer is going to resolve this.

Not all Dealers are Stealers :eek: :) :D

·
Registered
985 Posts
Glad you got good results.
See if they will put in synthetics for your 1k....Mine would not....

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will go with Synthetic if I wish, but reccomend "dino" oil as the bike will still be breaking in for the first few thousand miles.

After 5,000 miles they say is a good time to go Synth.

Opinions are just like A$$holes, everyone has one :D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I suppose it's a good resolution if you really wanted a chromed swingarm.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
The chrome swingarm is a nice look on a Softail although your bags hide a good bit of it. It is good to hear that the dealer at least did the fair thing. the funny part is that with HD prices the way they are...he probably still made money .

I just put bags on my Fat Boy this weekend for a trip and was suprised they looked as good as they did....got the Bubbas detachable hardware kit for them....very cool and quick on and off.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just thought everyone would want to hear a decent story about a decent Harley vendor who came "clean" right away without a fight. ;)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for the chrome swing arms, I don't know if I really need them as they will be a little covered by the saddle bags, but hell, I'm trying to make a little lemonade here with these lemons!:D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It sort of brought a smile to my face.

Most cases are not that cut and dry and obvious. Sure they did the right thing, but what option did they have in this case?
In a way you have to admire their ability to turn common mistakes into a revenue source.

If I were a fly on the wall with the ability to see all the final paperwork then I could tell you if they did the right thing.

If you knew my background you would understand my comments better.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
It isn't that they are doing some great act of fine customer service compared to a regular business......but come on, this is a Harley dealer here.....mine would have probably told me it was normal and got out the touch-up paint. then they would have tried to sell me a $2 washer to correct the bag guard location.

Thanks for taking the time to tell the story....it's a start anyhow.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I may be mistaken, but isn't the c/p swingarm only 299.00 in the HD catalog.......?
I haven't looked in a while.

Tony:cool:

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
John, Post this also in the "Dealership Experiences" if you already haven't. Also go to www.hawgeye.com and post there also. People need to know about these kind of folks so ig ever on road they can know how to deal with and who to avoid.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
The chrome swingarm is $549 MSRP, $439 through Chicago HD so dealer cost must be under $400. So the dealer had 2 choices.....replace with a stock swingarm (maybe $100 dealer cost minimum) or get you to pay $350 toward a chrome swingarm with a $380 dealer cost meaning he has to pay $30 instead of $100. Unless the dealer price on a stock swingarm is $30, he got ya. I agree with the concept of the deal but ask to see the book that shows the dealer cost on a chrome swingarm being $350 more than for a stocker. aren't we bastards for picking this apart for ya?? hehe

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HIPPO said:
It sort of brought a smile to my face.

Most cases are not that cut and dry and obvious. Sure they did the right thing, but what option did they have in this case?
In a way you have to admire their ability to turn common mistakes into a revenue source.

If I were a fly on the wall with the ability to see all the final paperwork then I could tell you if they did the right thing.

If you knew my background you would understand my comments better.
I know, deep down I wonder if I really am paying their "cost" for the swingarm, but heck WTF:D

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I must have been thinking of the Dyna swingarm when I said I thought it was 299.00....my bad...I'll just shut up now:confused:

Tony:cool:

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But just think everyone, this Wednesday (a week from today) on the 2nd of October I will turn my bike in for it's 1000 mile checkup, install of my windshield and saddlebags, and then I will add my final chrome pieces (at least for a while) to all go along with the Chrome Swingarm.

Pictures in less than 9 days :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts