V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I glad to find this site. I am taking delivery on a 2002 RK w/ carb soon and it will be my first Harley! I need some sound advice on pipes, carb modifications and anything else you feel important to know up front. I am trying to eliminate as many mistakes as possible. I am looking to replace the stock pipes to something no real loud but good and throaty that will compliment carb mods. I can tell you I don't like 2 - 1 pipes as I prefer dual (not true duals as I hear they are very expensive) look. Am considering slip ons from Hooker, BUB, V&H, Cycle Shack. Can you folks help me at least eliminate some and make recommendations from your personal experience? In addition, should I be looking to change ignition up front or is stock OK. I want the most results from the above changes in terms of increasing HP and TQ and add a great sound. I know this is a lot to ask especially on my first post but I need all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick

·
Registered
903 Posts
Congratulations Rick on your scooter. Not that I'm any great expert, but to me it sounds like you may be interested in a set of Screamin Eagle High Performance slip-on pipes. If you look or search though these posts, there are a lot of tips on exhaust pipes. The SE performance pipes sound good and aren't as loud as some other pipes on the market and will give you a boost in horsepower and torque. Of course with any high performance pipe change, you'll have to rejet the carburetor to accommodate for the new exhaust.
Another tip I would recommend is AFTER the first oil change (to let the engine "break-in" at about 1000 miles), put some high quality 20W-50 synthetic motor oil in like V-Twin Mobil-1 or Amsoil V-Twin oil. This will help protect the air-cooled engine since synthetic oils do not break down like conventional oil do due to high temperatures. I also use synthetic primary and transmission lubricant at the first service (500 mi).
I would not wax the bike for at least six months after delivery but after that, I found that "Pig Snot" wax does a great job.
I also subscribe to American Iron magazine and I've found many tips and ideas that you may be interested in.
Finally I'd like to wish you good luck with the new Road King and I hope this helps you out some. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joel, thanks for getting back so quick and I appreciate your suggestions. Someone else told me I should look at the SE slip ons and so I shall. I have been wondering about the synthetic oils and figure I would look around for more info. What does H-D think about and how about warranty issues? Thanks agian for responding.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Rick

I too have a 2002 RK. Its just comming up to the 1000 service and is booked in for next week. Let me know how much you guys pay for mufflers as I am interested in purchasing some. The best looking I have see so far are the SE and I fancy a pair of those with one of those carb excellerators. By the way what colour Rick?.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Black, of course! By the way how did you break your RK in? Seems to be a lot of different thoughts on the best way.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Well out of all the slip ons mentioned so far the ones I would NOT consider are the BUB's and the SE's. The original SE's were OK but the SE II's they have these days just eat to many ponies.

On a carb bike you have much more freedom of choice, and to some extent it depends on wether you want to maximize performance or are willing to give up some for looks.

You might also want to look at a few bikes with Supertrapps or E pipes. They are very good performance pipes while at the same time being relatively quiet.

Leave the ignition alone unless you absolutely have to have the higher rev limit, and even if you do stay with the stock curve. If further down the road you intend to do more you might look at the programmable ignition as you would only have to buy one of them, but it really isn't needed on a stage 1 bike.

Get the SE intake kit, the new one without the crossover, and a couple of bucks worth of jets, and you will have the elements for a sweet running bike if you can dial it in. Forget all the fancy carb tuner kits. The Dynojet is a good kit, but it requires more ability to tune in right, and you can come real close with a stock rejetted carb.

If you can find a good independent professional tuner with the proper equipment it might be well worth it in the long run to spend a couple of hundred bucks, unless you feel comfortable doing it yourself. Spending the money to dial the bike in at a dealer is a waste more often then not, as they usually don't invest the time to get things to where they need to be on a case by case basis.

The other consideration in not using a dealer is that you really don't want any records accessible by HD showing any modifications to the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hippo, thanks for your help. Let's explore the pipes a little more. I know the WB "E" are really good performers, however, I just don't like the looks of those rings or whatever they are and the closed hole of the tailpipe. As far as I can tell there are no dual configurations with Supertraps (unless I am missing something). Tell me about Hooker Flow Tune Slip Ons or Cycle Shack as I have read a lot of discussions on those. Are there any other pipes offering good performance with moderate to loud sound?

Thanks again for your time and interest in helping me.

Rick

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Cycle shacks are inexpensive and work as good as anything.

There are a lot of guys out there that like Hooker's.

There are quite a few bikes lately that seem to run well with Samson's.

V&H are probably the best looking pipes out there, but people tend to end up endlessly screwing around with baffles.

I'm more a 2 into 1 guy, so most of what I tell you on slip on's is based on others bikes, as I never ride them for very long, but with the sound limitations it's hard to say, what's loud to one guy is quiet to another.

If money is no object you may also want to look at the Borla canisters.

The reason it is hard to find info on some pipes is that lately many of the aftermarket companies are either being bought up by a group of investors or lining up exclusive distributor deals.

Be careful with the 02 applications as sometimes you have to make a little clearance here and there SUPERTRAPP

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
There is also a guy in FL making some pipes called "Wild Pigs" that can be had for very little money. They work well, but are a little on the loud side.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
On some of the pipes, like the Hookers and Samsons sometimes it is hard to tune out the popping on deccel when running with stock header pipes on the FLT's due to their reversion characteristics, to some people this is objectionable.

One of the options is to rework the stock header pipes internally so as to make them into a rudimentary 2 into 1 while retaining the OEM look.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Rick,

Hippo mentioned "Wild Pig Pipes" , My FLRHI FF Special arrived this past Friday and I am having the dealer install them along with a SE a/c and recalibration being done. I pick her up next Friday, if you have not done anything by then, I can give you my opinion on them. I am told they sell a lot of them at Bike Week, also spoke with the owner of Miller's who runs them on his bagger and states he loves them, this coming from a guy that could put any brand on his bike, of course he could be feeding me a line. I did speak with about a half dozen guys that run them, on another forum, and the only complaint was from one person that took them off because they were to loud. What sold me was that they were loud, I have not seen any numbers on hp or tq yet, but for the price they were worth a try.
Here is the URL for Miller's

http://www.commercemarketplace.com/pages/millers/Pig_Pipes.html

I can only tell you at this point that the quality is good, if your interested next week I can tell you more.

Good Luck

Sglide (for 6 more days:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sglide, that would be great - thanks for offering. I know you are excited about getting your new bike. Is it your first Harley? My RK is not going to be delivered until June so I have some time to make right choices. Thanks again.
Rick

·
Registered
686 Posts
pipes

Rick, Hi when I got my 02 Flht I ordered pipes right away. I got kerker pipes , I asked the guy at the parts dept to get me pipes that where somewhere between stock and open, with a mellow sound, my buddy has a dresser with wide open pipes too load and hallow sounding for me. than I had an se kit put in by the dealer and rejetted. I love the sound very deep rumbling sound, plus I put tapered ends on, runs great, pipes were $220.0 and the ends $20.0. I was at the dealer checking if my dashinator was in , not yet. so I asked the service manager about oil he said all they use is harley oil and when I go to sturgis I should just put in the heavier grade and change it when I get back. My last harley I used harley oil , my Hondas I used Honda oil, I figure the manufactures are formulating the oil for there machines, never had any problems. rickpoco

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I respect Hippo's expertise and experience. At the same time, I'd add that personal preference is a significant factor in any H/D choice. I run SE II's and am happy with that choice. FYI, I've seen surveys that suggests about 40% of the riders who change out exhausts go with the SE line. Does that mean much? No! Your opinion & preference is what matters. Take your time and ask around. "Listen" to the sound of a set of pipes. Do you like the look? Do you like the sound? What was the performance difference? Do you regulary ride your bike in the 3000-4000K rpm range? Over 5000 rpm's? Hmmm. On a regular basis, most of us ride less than 3000 rpm's. Keep that in mind when you are comparing exhuasts. FYI. There are some sites out there that will offer you a comparison of hp at particular rpm's. Many of the bike mag's have done similar comparisons.

As for "oil", there are some very strong opinions on this subject. IMHO, if you change your oil and fluids according to recommended intervals, the choice of dino v. synthetics is a non-issue. Are synthetics better? Probably yes. But are they worth the additional cost? That is up to you!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rick,
I am big time excited:) I am riding a 2001 FXD I bought new last year, My wife and I love the Superglide (over 7000 miles) but had to make a choice with the FF Special was offered, and jumped at it. We had planned on paying off the FXD and getting a RK down the road, but that will not happen now.
Here are a couple of pictures:
http://img3.ranchoweb.com/images/sglide/clean1a.jpg
http://img2.ranchoweb.com/images/sglide/newbike11a.jpg
I will give you a shout back after I take delivery and let you know what I think about the Wild Pigs!
See Ya,
Sglide (not much longer)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts