V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Top of the day all, maybe someone out there can help out. i bought a new fxstb and am impressed with its performance over my old shovel, however if i take my hands off the bars while slowing down it gets a mild wobble between 45 to 40 you wouldn`t know it if you never took your hands off the bars, it also pulls noticably to the right. anyway the dealer hasn`t been able to resolve the problem and of course says that many soft tails tend to do this. how `bout it anyone have to deal with something like this?

thanks for any replies and ride safe, Toad.

Ride Hard or Stay Home

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not to miss the obvious, I assume you've checked that the wheels are perfectly round. Spoke or solid/cast wheels should both be checked that there are no dents or distortions. This can be done by hitting a curb or road hole hard. Next check the brake rotors for being true and that they are not glazed (unlikely). Are the tires new or worn? Also check wheel bearings. Again, I would assume the dealer checked all of this out, but this is the season that they are most busy finishing all the big bore kits. Let us know what you find...

Cheers Al

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sounds like there might be two issues.
The most likely cause for the pull is a misalignment of the rear wheel. Check the distance between the center of the swingarm pivots and the center of the rear axle.

If there still is a wobble it would be interesting to see if it is also present while accellerating thru the same speed. This might be difficult to do but it can be done with the throttle lock.

You should also try in a different gear to see if it is road speed or engine speed dependent. The possible number of causes is too large to mention but if it is road speed dependent it could be as simple as a tire slightly out of balance or a wheel that is not perfectly true. The head bearings Manny mentioned are also a possibility but if they were loose you would think the bike would have a clunk in addition to the wobble, easy enough to check with a lift at home.
If nothing is found it might even be some sort of discrepancy with a tire belt, you might try to see if the condition changes somewhat by altering tire pressure up and down temporarily and see if it has an effect.

If it seems to be in any way engine speed dependent it could be some sort of harmonic transmitted into the chassis from the powertrain, like a loose engine mount perhaps.

Then you have to consider that a wobble is different things to different people, and what appears to be a wobble to one person might be something different alltogether. You might want to have someone that has a lot of seat time on the same type of bike give you a second opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replys, who knows what the dealer really did. i do wrench my own scooters but have refused to deal with it because this is a new bike. this weekend i`ll be looking it over real good though. the wheels and alignment are good but i`m thinking on pulling the wheels and having a dynamic balance done on both. steering head bearings are another area but so far they seem in order also.

thanks, enjoy the weekend and ride safe

·
Registered
236 Posts
IrHawgWild,

I just realized that no one asked you if you were 2-up. If that be the case, tell the second-in-command to stop doing that!

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts