V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on why I would be getting decel popping out of left side pipe from high RPM at about 3500. 02 Road King just put on SE pipes 42 Mikuni with manifold and K&N. The bike runs strong and did not do this stock.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The lower back pressure of the new slip ons will cause some reversion.
Generally the popping comes from the right side, ie the throttle side, if in effect it comes from the left side you could have an air leak along the pipe.

If you put the Mikuni on the bike with the jets that come with it you are way too rich, and this will cause popping on decceleration also.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
With the 42 Mik a good starting point might be either a 17.5 or a 20 low jet, the 98 needle with the clip in the middle groove (or you can try the stock 97 needle with the clip in the top groove), a 50 pump nozzle and a 160 main.

You can also trim the accel pump, there is a adjusting screw for small flat blade screwdriver near the top of the carb where the throttle cables are and it's best to turn it in until it is flush with the carb body. There is another screw near the accel pump cam that adjusts the beginning of the stroke, you can play a little with this one also, but it doesn't have that much effect and it's easy to end up with a stumble if it comes on too late.

They come with different stuff from the factory depending how and where you bought it, generally a 25 pilot, 160 main, 97 needle and 70 pump nozzle.

Mikuni has exceptionally good tech support and if you call them you might end up talking to Joe Minton. I think they have something called a mileage kit that should be very close to what I use.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hippo- Thanks for the speedy response. Spoke with Joe Minton when I first installed the kit and the throttle was not returning properly. He was great, as he spent 20min. with me as I adjusted the cables so they worked the way they should. Again Thanks.
Greg

·
Registered
24 Posts
i had the same thing -yesterday the harley dealer put in new jets a 190 main and 40something second and wow runs like a swiss watch no pop and plenty of go. and it is a cv carb. wish i could get the trottle responce a little better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts