V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure someone has brought this up before but I couldn't find it on the forum search. As everyone knows, the air openings on both sides of the radiator cowl collect everything from cow -hit to pea gravel. I considered screening the openings but can't see a practical way of attaching without it looking like a butcher job! Has anyone found a solution besides constantly cleaning the cowl of crap?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I live in the country several miles from town, bugs everywhere and a 300 foot gravel driveway ! Its full before I even get on the blacktop! LOL

·
Registered
544 Posts
I know, by watching the DVD on the making of the V-Rod, that H-D did have some cooling issues and installed those little fins at the bottom of the cowl to create turbulence to help cooling. So installing a screen or something like that may reduce the cooling ability and cause over heating.

Only suggestion is ride slower on gravel roads, so not so much crap is kicked up into the cowls. Under normal straight line situations the crap kicked up by the front tire should be hitting the black section between the cowls.

Dave

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
PASS22 I have wondered if someone would come up with a nylon stocking type cover with elastic that would encase the entire front end. I Think a plain black disposable nylon cover would look fine for everday use, and I don't think it would substantially affect the wind flow.

In the good old days I could have had Ol' Martha Washington sew me one. -Alas- the OL suggested I go F*** my self. ( I decided it wasn't the best time to mention that if I could do that I wouldn't need a bike.)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The radiator on the V-Rod is about twice as big as that on any Honda cruiser, so there must have been a real design need to get that cowl out in the air flow. For Honda's, several manufactureres make aftermarket chrome painted painted slotted radiator covers that have no effect on cooling. It wouldn't surprise me if someone came up with one for the V-Rod. Guess that if H/D thought it could be screened they would have done so themselves!

Da--! I'll just have to back off the throttle on the driveway!

Pete

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hell, I'm not worried about covering it. I just wish i could figure out a good way to clean all that crap out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now I use my fingers, but theres so many cranies that the stuff gets into I can never get it all. My vacum cleaner attachments arn't small enough. Maybe one of those gimic mini vacs would work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Try using an electric leaf blower from the backside of the radiator and blow the cow crap out the front.
After washing my bike I use the blower to get most of the water off the bike and it makes drying alot easier and reduces water spots on areas you cant reach with a towel.

·
Banned
490 Posts
The road to dusty death...

I'd forget about putting any kind of screen over the radiator cowl - its much better to have a few pebbles rolling around in there, than to risk cooking your engine.

As for getting the junk out - I've found that a narrow crevice tool on the end of my shop-vac works great. I usually have the shop vac out to wash the bike anyway - it also is useful for drying the bike, and for sucking up the water on the floor afterwards, since I always wash my bike in the garage to avoid waterspots. I really wouldn't use the leaf blower to try blasting small pebbles out of the cowl. I'd think that they would become small missiles when subjected to that velocity of air.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drew,

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna look around for a smaller attachment for my vac or else maybe one of those small battery vacs might work. After reading about the problems Harley had in gooding our beasts I think I;ll drop the screening idea unless they design something themselves.

Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts