V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1960 Panhead Bobber
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been brough up before/elsewhere...
Across the pond here in good 'ol Blighty, we are getting wind (slightly behind the times perhaps) about '07 being the last year of the carb (in sporties anyway), and that from '07/'08 onwards the EFI will be the only engine available and that ultimately the V-Rod engine will look set to be the standard Harley engine of the future.
Any comments on this?:unsure:

·
Registered
152 Posts
new bike

Rumor has it that harley plans on building a Dyna style bike using
a V-Rod motor. It is their engine of the future.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Every year there are new rumors. Truth is, any and all new models are a tightly held secret up at the MOCO. We'll find out the same time as the dealers, sometime around July 15. Just like every year. I won't believe anything till it's on the MOCO's website.

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
I have been wondering if I need a Sporty for most of my local cruising. However, I have riding my Dyna for two years now, and that colors my judgment.

Last autumn, I took a 1200 Sportster out for a test spin. Two things hit me right away. One, the new Sportsters accelerate like no body's business! I was very impressed.

Two, despite modulating the choke, warming, slow speed warming and highway driving, the carburated engine was lumpy and imprecise.

It reminded me of putting straight pipes on an old shovel, and then installing the wrong jet. It "sort of" ran well, but you had to watch your revs to stay in the 'sweet spot.'

However, having said that, I'm looking forward to an EFI Sporty. If I had one, I'll bet that 2/3's of my annual mileage would be on a bike like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts