V-Twin Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1125 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,084
On my sons bike the rigid with the the high compression 96" stroker just the lithium battery and stock starter solved all his starting problems so they are good but when you reach the massive amp requirements for hi comp and big cubes the AGM does seem to win hands down. They are good but they have limits

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I already have a 2.0kw starter, new last year. It has trouble turning over the 127. I get two or three try's. Then I have to hook up a booster. I carry one of those portable lithium boosters. It work well.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,087
What battery have you been using? Battery cable size I'd go 4ga or even better 2ga Make sure all connections are clean and tight. Highly recommend the push button start switch on solenoid and all new contacts and plunger. Get a solenoid rebuilt kit from starter manufacturer. The higher the kw of starter the more amps it will draw so those first several hits are gonna get the most it can give. The health of contacts is key order two sets so you have a spare. You re gonna eat them

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I got a 310cca agm duracell now. I also have a solenoid rebuild kit and the 4ga cables... from last year.
I ordered a scorpion stinger 525 cca lithium battery. I should be here in a week or so.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Yes, manual compression releases.
I gotta go to the garage and get my exhaust to seal at the heads. Then go for a ride out to my sons house and help him pressure test the water sys in his horse/camping trailer. I think there's a leak near the shower.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,092
Got to finally ride the beast today. Haven't rode since before the winter. The battery performed perfectly no struggles restarting when stopping for gas or multiple stops. The setup is working well. Very strong Battery. On another note the transmission shifted flawlessly after its full rebuild. I gotta give props to the Baker "Smooth shift" shift drum and Baker shift forks, the thing shifts so much better. Quick shifts are a breeze. Kinda glad I didn't do the N1 drum now. Never felt a harley shift this nice and locks solidly in gears. Thrilled with that... Also The raptor shift light gets a big thumbs up too, I was power shifting and never hit the rev limiter once. Very bright can't miss it. Haven't tried the staging sequence yet was out just having a blast. Nice bunch of mods this round. The bike is getting more and more refined as it goes.

·
Registered
16,704 Posts
The bike is getting more and more refined as it goes.
And sounds like more and more fun.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,094 (Edited)
And sounds like more and more fun.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Indeed Alan S,... Indeed. It's funny when I haven't been on for a while I forget what it is like, for the first hour I'm like holy cra#... an hour later it's standing on the wheelie bars screaming... Lol. I had four guys on bikes pull up next to me at a light and wanted to run, one guy blew out early. I went flying by him on the bars loud and proud. Next light he goes "Dude.... I felt that in my chest and in the ground.. Omg" I was giggling for an hour.... Hahaa

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Indeed Alan S,... Indeed. It's funny when I haven't been on for a while I forget what it is like, for the first hour I'm like holy cra#... an hour later it's standing on the wheelie bars screaming... Lol. I had four guys on bikes pull up next to me at a light and wanted to run, one guy blew out early. I went flying by him on the bars loud and proud. Next light he goes "Dude.... I felt that in my chest and in the ground.. Omg" I was giggling for an hour.... Hahaa
Sounds like fun!
I did something like that on my dyna last weekend. At a light with 3 other bikes. Two were my sons on their Harley's the other was a ricer. We rolled off thru the intersection. Then I cracked the throttle with a little of first gear left. The back tire hooked up and that S&S 124 just powered the front tire up ina air with no trouble. Ha, ha, good times.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,097
Yep,... you can always tell when she's runnin right.... She starts eatin stuff. I'm not even dropping the clutch or doing holeshots. Just hard throttle and speed shifting. The rear drive pulley bolts start loosening and snapping.. Never had a bike do this before. The last drive pulley actually slotted the holes so bad you could rotate it an inch back and fourth....gotta get new grade eights and gobs of red lock-tight

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
To answer the question on the starter solenoid switch, that same solenoid is used on pretty much every gasoline engine starter they make, just in varying package arrangements.

They will all show some ark scoring. In this case, there may be some additional damage because the starter is stalling. I actually would not expect that starter to be putting out the torque its rated for after stalling repeatedly. Stalling is pure death on a starter motor.

As an example of what happens when a starter stalls, put some jumper cables on a battery, then hook the free ends together for a second or two. It ain't pretty. And that's what happening in that starter circuit when the motor stalls (all else being good)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,099
To answer the question on the starter solenoid switch, that same solenoid is used on pretty much every gasoline engine starter they make, just in varying package arrangements.

They will all show some ark scoring. In this case, there may be some additional damage because the starter is stalling. I actually would not expect that starter to be putting out the torque its rated for after stalling repeatedly. Stalling is pure death on a starter motor.

As an example of what happens when a starter stalls, put some jumper cables on a battery, then hook the free ends together for a second or two. It ain't pretty. And that's what happening in that starter circuit when the motor stalls (all else being good)
Yes Therm I took your suggestion and it did help. With the bigger 500amp AGM it's no longer having any sterter issues at all. It sometimes stalls a bit but pushes right through now. I don't need to use the start button unless using the handle bar switch seems like it won't push through the button makes it crank a bit better. So far not having any issues and it's back on the road. Thanks. Now it breaking bolts and and stuff again as you can see above.. Lol

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Yes Therm I took your suggestion and it did help. With the bigger 500amp AGM it's no longer having any sterter issues at all. It sometimes stalls a bit but pushes right through now. I don't need to use the start button unless using the handle bar switch seems like it won't push through the button makes it crank a bit better. So far not having any issues and it's back on the road. Thanks. Now it breaking bolts and and stuff again as you can see above.. Lol
On that rear sprocket, I see two issues. One is that the sprocket is a poor fir to the wheel hub. That may be letting the sprocket deflect more than normal, putting additional stress on the bolts. As well as reducing the clamping friction to the hub.

And second is the bolts. I would try a set of ugly out of the box grade 8 bolts with good washers in there and see what happens. Those thick washers are hard to find, usually need to go to the bolt house to get them these days. Make sure the threads are good, if breaking the bolts wallows them out, then you'll need to fix that too.

A wrench I know does a lot of cush drive belt to chain conversions. He throws the Allen head bolts in the used bolt box and replaces them with ugly old grade 8. Claims he's had too many issue with the pretty stuff. I tried to see what they "pretty" ones in his bin would break at, but they rounded out before they broke.

1081 - 1100 of 1125 Posts