V-Twin Forum banner

1001 - 1013 of 1013 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Have you considered having the gears, shafts, forks, fork shaft and drum isotrophic polished?

There are lots of places that offer this. It is not expensive, and IME the juice seems to be worth the squeeze. I have sent a few sets of transmission internals to Charlie. Cost was $165 plus return shipping. The parts returned looked fantastic. The gears and forks would slide much easier on their shafts, and the gears seemed, well smoother. Assembled and riding, the transmissions shifted much smother. R&D Transmissions claims this process frees up about 10% of power lost to friction. I dont know if that is accurate.

Like I said, there are others, but this is where I sent three sets. No issues.

Isotrophic Transmission Finishing

Final thought, If the gears are isotrophic finished prior to being back cut then the surfaces of the dogs and ears will not be polished. The issue with polishing the gears after being back cut is keeping the 2nd and 3rd gears straight as they are interchangeable until they are back cut. After being back cut, the 2nd and 3rd gears must be put back in their assigned places as they will be cut differently.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,002
Knew nothing about it actually. This gearset is in pretty good shape but not flawless. Only changing out first with andrews gears and the rest are all stock. I wouldn't want to go too crazy on this one. However by summer I'd like to build a another unit with a zip rack. That one I might consider sending out to try that. By then work should be kicking and would more feasible. Just trying to get this one more prepped for the abuse. This unit will become my back up if I should destroy the good one. My sons bike has same trans in his 93 FXR-P so we'd both have a spare. Last year he detonated his and put a Revtech 6 speed drop set in his. Who knows how that one will hold up. But he's only pushing 115hp

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,003
OK so after some extensive searching for answers the plan is laid out and parts are coming in. Now I can get started on the transmission rebuild project. Got a baker complete rebuild kit, Andrews main and counter shafts, Andrews close ratio first gear set, S&S billet trapdoor kit, new shift fork shaft, Baker shift forks, Baker smooth shift roller drum assembly. Also got the new drive plate bearing for the toasted one in the Rivera belt drive. The trans is out and fully stripped to the bone on the bench. The building starts tomorrow. I had called zippers about back cutting and they didn't call back. Then called again and was told three weeks turn around... Not knocking them I know things are far from normal right now with this virus nonsense. I'm sure this was not the norm for them. Also after inspecting the gear dogs all looks very good. After researching this topic I deemed it not necessary. Worn out stuff and wrong adjustments being the main cause of popping out of gears. Went for the shift drum instead. Ordered new springs for the shifter pawl also. Decided to keep the standard pattern and skip the N-1 pattern. After thinking about it I use downshifting as extra brakes all the time. And would probably wind up at neutral not paying attention as it would be at bottom. So right around $1,500.00 in parts I should have a very solid performance gearbox for the bike.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,004
Got started on the transmission today and found some smashed up junk gear dogs. No point in building this thing with that crap. I live close to East Coast Super Bikes. They are a harley shop on the island. The owner is a cool guy known him for a while. He let me dig through a bunch of junk units and scraped up several replacement gears in pristine shape. So now all the gears are in excellent shape, a big score. Got all three replacement gears for 60 bucks. Got the gear set together and mounted on the door. New springs for shift pawl will be here tomorrow and I can get it back in the case. All is going well so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,007
Got the gearbox back together. All is well with the transmission gods. Painting it up tomorrow. Question... being there is two new gears and several others were changed out from different units. Also new forks, drum... Ect, should I run a load of 20-w50 motor oil in it and let everything break in before finally draining and going to Red line? Or just toss in the red-line. With how thick it is thought maybe thinner oil and let it all settle in first. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,010 (Edited)
Krikey! that's a beaut!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks, should hold over 200hp safely now. Was nervous on hitting the nitrous when the dyno guy told me I was in the red with the stock trans. Last thing I need is the trans swallowing itself at speed and locking the rear wheel.... Un-fun

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Thanks, should hold over 200hp safely now. Was nervous on hitting the nitrous when the dyno guy told me I was in the red with the stock trans. Last thing I need is the trans swallowing itself at speed and locking the rear wheel.... Un-fun
FWIW BTDT at almost a buck and a half...10" drag slick too... Decidedly Not what I recognize as Fun!!!!!
Also Embarrassing how long you tie up/block the track whilst ya Break the chain... should had some big guys Carry the Damn Thing!!!!!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,012
FWIW BTDT at almost a buck and a half...10" drag slick too... Decidedly Not what I recognize as Fun!!!!!
Also Embarrassing how long you tie up/block the track whilst ya Break the chain... should had some big guys Carry the Damn Thing!!!!!
Somewhere around 1993 I had a 1980 Z1R1000 with a 1200cc drag motor. I dropped the clutch at Atco race track and to my surprise it hooked hard, I thought it would slip like it always did...... It didn't. I wound up going backwards through the air and bike when in the air and flipped out from under me.... 😂 Went two feet in the air bounced in a wheelie and fell on left side. Broke the alternator cover and leaked out all over the track. I landed on my knees going backwards behind the start line. I played it off by standing with my hands in the air... Got few chears... Embarrassing yes Lol.
Yes I would imagine a lockup is quite a pucker moment....at that speed thankfully you were OK. Damn. Crazy stuff. Racing is a dangerous game for sure

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,013
Well this is harsh..... No bars open for two weeks so far in NY and no end in sight.... I can almost feel my liver growing back. There ain't squat to do and everybody is home. So I just went back to my shop. The only thing I can salvage out of this is getting the bike back together pretty quick. Plowing through it.

1001 - 1013 of 1013 Posts