V-Twin Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1106 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #981
Busy with work so haven't gotten in much riding or work on the bike. I did get the new variable pressure plate clutch installed and got to drill and tap clutch basket. So the clutch cover is fully installed now. Two things I can notice immediately is for some reason I can't explain getting to neutral is super easy now. Just a light tap up from first it falls right in neutral with zero effort. Not sure why there is a difference as it was always kept well adjusted. Clutch pull at lever is realy light compared to before. Rivera makes three springs for their pro clutch. This was taken from their site

Generally, the black spring is for stock applications, the silver for motors with torque ranges form 90 ft. lbs. to 130 ft. lbs. while the gold spring is for racing
applications. On bikes with more then 130 ft. lbs. of torque, we recommend the TPP Variable Pressure Clutch Assist which utilizes centrifugal force to aid in pushing the pressure plate against the clutch pack. Consequently we can use a very light spring, reducing the amount of pressure it takes to pull in the clutch lever while still be able to handle horsepower in excess of 250 hp

I don't think clutch slippage is going to be an issue now..... We also welded a bracket on the wheelie bar next to the rear of the transmission and mounted a third engine stabilizer link from the baker plus 1 oil pan to the frame. Nothing left to do in the rear end. The fork brace should be in tomorrow

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
That's some real craftsmanship on those bags.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #984
Thanks. Yah I just bought a pair of plain leather bags and he does all the rest. Very skilled at what he does. Just wanted everything about this bike to be over the top and the leather stands out as much as everything else. He did not disappoint. All totaled I gave him three seat pans and the raw bags it cost 2100 for all the custom leather when finished. Considering the work he did I feel was very fair

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #985
Well now that I've got some time in riding with the new clutch set I have to say I'm impressed with it. The lever pull is definitely a lot less effort a welcome change. There is a tad more noise but not bad at all as you here the weights flopping around a little at idle but not off idle at all. No slippage I can feel at all hooks hard and fast. Been testing the wheelie bars and launching witch is fun. Even leaving a light fairly normal just add more throttle she rises up about a foot sets on the bar wheels nicely and just add throttle you can ride the bars to the rev limiter and you hit the shifter fast enough through second as well. I can't wait to add the titanium strips. That's gonna look awesome on a launch. Gotta set them to hit just a touch before the wheels. Getting used to a whole different setup.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #986
Saddle bags are done. Today was the first day I got to see them in person. Wow, blown away.. amazing job and one of a kind. Dave has some skills. He even lined the sides and bottom with thin sheet metal and linened the interior with black felt. That fixed sagging issue and made them more rigid now they hold shape even loaded. A while back the original welded in dagger I had snapped off thanks to the lopey cams so I decided to get the same one and tied the sheath onto the piece of blade that was left. It worked great looks even better and the dagger is now removable. So while he was there he stained and cleared it the same color. That wrapped up the final leatherwork on the bike. Very pleased with all of it. The last pic is Dave the man himself.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #988
Having fun with those bars. I know not the most conventional setup but they really work well. Even on not so good roads they seem to have no issues. Gotta watch for potholes though I hit a small one and she rocked hard to one side then kicked back. It's really stable in the air though enough that I can set them down and stay easily in my lane without fear of it getting squirrely. Gonna be mounting the skid plates soon think I'm gonna do a spring loaded setup somehow so they can't lift the wheels when skidding, the wheels are key to solid tracking. I might have problems if the the plates are the only contact surface. But they are fun and the looks I get blasting down the road on them is hysterical. I have the old fashioned goggles to so when people pull up to me at light I look like a total psycho... Lol. Got the fork brace in also gonna get that installed and re Shim the whole front axle. New speedo drive to the old one blew apart

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #989
Ordered a new trailer today. Should be delivered before Christmas. When it's not being used as a mobile welding unit we chuck the gear in the shop and we can do some long range hauling. All three of our bikes are not great long range rides. So this will be cool to take my sons on journeys around the country with their bikes with no worries. Plus we can use as base camp when we stop. It's 21' inside from nose to back door. Can carry four bikes comfortably. Should be fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #990
With the weather turning I decided to toss the bike back up on the bench and get to fixing these issues with stability and the transmission. Rear axle was out of alignment so at least one issue there not sure how it moved but it did. The fork brace does not fit around the shocks so the front end spacing is off, legs are apparently pulled to close together so things are turning up. Things that are causing the weaving at high speeds. The exhaust bracket snapped both the heads off the transmission bolts and trapdoor is begining to leak. So I'm out for the winter for some repairs. The trailer and welding gear we bought are taking a toll for the bike project funds so I may have to rethink plans and cut back the bike cost this year. But hey I'm happy where it's gotten and if I gotta take it a little lighter on the shifting and launch so be it for now. I'll get to it in the spring. I'm sure I'll be on here seeki g info soon. Thankfully very busy year this year so it'll all work out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #991
Found something odd today. Had my girls daughter at the shop to polish up the bike since it just sitting on the bench and she said she found something loose. I go to Check it out and it's the front cylinder compression release valve.....pieces of it floating in the hole. The plunger rod fully intact but it literally fell apart! What's up with that.. do these things fail in three years or less? Or is this from the nitrous making too much cylinder pressure? The head gaskets are fine. Anybody....?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #994
So last month while the bike was being polished up it was discovered that my forward compression release (an S&S electric type) had split the silicone dome open and the entire pin assembly was sticking out and loose in the body. Literally just lifted the entire pin out of it and spring. Was kinda surprised with the motor being 3yrs old and what I consider low mileage that it had failed. Haven't checked the ack yet as I can't reach in there to tell but at this point I'm going to replace the set. Including special tool needed its 400 bucks for a set plus tool. After not getting any responses I pm'd Tall Terry. As always got a speedy response. So his opinion knowing my riding habits and the added nitrous system. He believes hard riding mostly and possibly the NOS has caused the failure. So I guess the releases did as expected under those conditions. If the bike was ridden in a more normal fashion they would have lasted a lot longer. So I guess I will replace and monitor more closely. If they fail in less than a couple years I may remove them and see if the Allballz high KV starter can crank it over without them. Maybe maybe not but we'll see. Figured I'd post this to help someone else down the line.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #995
Haven't touched the bike since December when it came off the road. Have a list of things to get to. First thing was the front end. I had mentioned a while back I'm getting an instability approaching 100mph so I added a fork brace. This bike has a wide glide front end with 3" over tubes this is probably just agitating the situation. When I went to install the brace it wouldn't fit so I knew something must have been off. I removed the alxe, fender, and loosened the tripple tree clamps to remove any misalignment. Installed brace, tightened everything then installed the wheel. Paid extra attention to re shimming and centering the rotors evenly between the calipers. New speedo drive as the last one blew apart. I already have progressive springs with gold valves in there but decided to drain the oil and increased the weight from 15w to 20w just a bit thicker to add a touch more dampening. That's about all I can do on the front end. So at least I got something done today.
I'll get to the next part soon, the blown compression releases..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #996
Pulled the engine and the rocker boxes to replace the automatic compression releases. Whe we got the old one out of the front it was found the pin assembly had literally been broken up into several pieces. I decided to eliminate them entirely and bought the proper plugs from S&S. I'm thinking between the huge 720cca lithium, the All Balls High KV starter, and the S&S 640 cam design I'm thinking cranking over shouldn't be an issue..... Well soon see.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #997
Got back to this finally. Put the rocker boxes back together and paid my daughter-in-law to polish it all Out. It's allot easier on the stand sitting on the table. When she was done I paid her to do it all over again. She got the motor and belt drive assembly looking like new again. Was too busy beating it up I had neglected to stay on it. Paid a lot extra to get the polished motor and got lazy cleaning it. Bad habit... Looks like a gleaming gem again.. Due to money issues the Zip rack may have to wait a little. I have to get to some transmission issues next while the motor is out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #998 (Edited)
Due to the power I'm throwing through the stock transmission I figured I'd open it up and check things out while the engine is out. This is the first time I've opened the trans in this thing and not found chunks of metal and missing teeth....the gears look really good with the exception being the tiniest chip out of fifth gear on the counter shaft side but very minor. Cleaned out the case thoroughly. The trap door bearing are shot. The clutch bearing is feeling a bit crunchy. So those are getting changed out. Going to upgrade it with new billet trapdoor, andrews shafts, only changing to close ratio andrews first gears, Baker shift forks as first gear fork has some gouging in tip, new bearings and seals all around. All I can do to shore it up.
Haven't decided what else I'm doing with shift drum yet still looking into that. But at least I can keep it moving while deciding.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Got back to this finally. Put the rocker boxes back together and paid my daughter-in-law to polish it all Out. It's allot easier on the stand sitting on the table. When she was done I paid her to do it all over again. She got the motor and belt drive assembly looking like new again. Was too busy beating it up I had neglected to stay on it. Paid a lot extra to get the polished motor and got lazy cleaning it. Bad habit... Looks like a gleaming gem again.. Due to money issues the Zip rack may have to wait a little. I have to get to some transmission issues next while the motor is out.
You have said you are going to replace the shafts and first gear set with stuff from Andrews. You can send your new shafts, gears and door to Zippers to have them to their back cut service. Your parts will be returned to you assembled on the door, with a back cut that matches the style you spec not he build sheet. Have done a bunch of these. Total cost is less than $300.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,000
That's a great idea. Didn't think about that. I was originally planning on the Zip rack but work slowed up then NY went on lockdown. I'm a welder so we can still work as we are specialty trade/ infrastructure maintenance. Most are not due to governor order. Definitely gonna do that. Thanks for the heads up. Got an S&S door and bearing kit, first gear and shafts ordered also. All should be in next week.

981 - 1000 of 1106 Posts