V-Twin Forum banner

921 - 940 of 1104 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #921 (Edited)
Took the first test ride just around the industrial park today. It's been a while just over a year since I rompt on it. Feels very strong. Haven't done any jetting and fine tuning yet but between the triple X carb and the pipe it sure feels responsive. It climbs faster in gear than before. I suspect the pipe is definitely acting like a high rpm drag pipe. When the baffle is engaged it tones it down but it's still pretty loud. Lower rpm does feel better with it engaged. It's snappier and a touch jumpy at 2700-3000rpm. Twitch the throttle and it lurches forward. She's ready to go.. Can't wait to get dialed in. Juice is off line till its tuned. The bottles where mounted tilt back slightly. Was worried if they lossened up they may slide back as the clamps don't grab them perfectly. So we mounted the tailights right behind them for two reasons. For one they can't loosen up and go back they will hit the steel post that mounts the light. They act like bottle stops. Also the bottom of the bottles are like polished mirrors so this also will stop the rearward reflections from headlights. Had to adjust the preload on shocks to set the proper sag. The shocks are nice riding huge improvement. Haven't even set the other adjustments yet. Tail is welded shut now. All going good

Attachments

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #922
Messed around with a few jet changes and tweeked the carb adjustments with a not heated up tire she's spinning the wheel between gears. And lifting the front with ease. It may not have been the original plan but it still looks pretty nuts. I still have the rear seat and that was a mandatory save. We are working on the wheelie bar wheels now. Decided to run the wheels and maybe add plates later. I feel they should track better. Well find out soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
-2$en#e- I would ditch the training wheels setup and put a little sumpthin' sumpthin' on the back of the rear fender. Looks plain compared...
I cannot imagine how much fun that thing is!
Sick in a good way.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #924
-2$en#e- I would ditch the training wheels setup and put a little sumpthin' sumpthin' on the back of the rear fender. Looks plain compared...
I cannot imagine how much fun that thing is!
Sick in a good way.
That may happen, I'm finishing up the bars tomorrow. It's going back on the road next week. I'm gonna check them out and see if they are worth keeping. Originally they were on there due to the added tail weight with the dry clutch being a tad quick to grab made them necessary to protect and support the tail cover. Now that the tail is no longer there I'll see if they work out if not trust me they will be cut back to just behind the wheel and may use the sorter version to support the shorter tail and bags in plan "c". Oh its fun riding it for sure. If they work without causing wheel hop and don't hang on driveway aprons much I may leave as is.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Messed around with a few jet changes and tweeked the carb adjustments with a not heated up tire she's spinning the wheel between gears. And lifting the front with ease. It may not have been the original plan but it still looks pretty nuts. I still have the rear seat and that was a mandatory save. We are working on the wheelie bar wheels now. Decided to run the wheels and maybe add plates later. I feel they should track better. Well find out soon.

Take this FWIW,

1. Those wheelie bars are shorter than anything I have ever seen on bikes setup for the track.
2. I have never seen shocks on a bike with bars.
3. The wheels on those bars do not appear to be very robust, especially for use on public roads.
4. Bike still looks pretty bizarre. Bravo.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #926 (Edited)
Take this FWIW,

1. Those wheelie bars are shorter than anything I have ever seen on bikes setup for the track.
2. I have never seen shocks on a bike with bars.
3. The wheels on those bars do not appear to be very robust, especially for use on public roads.
4. Bike still looks pretty bizarre. Bravo.
Yes I am very aware these are by no means real deal track bars. And you are also correct wheelie bars do not use shocks. The wheels were not in any posted picks as of yet. They sit behind the tips of the bars. We literally just got them on today and they are pretty stout as they will hit bumps and rough pavement unlike track conditions. We left only a little sticking out below the bars so they won't grab anything they are 4"diameter also. They may see an occasional hard hit as they are also set to let the front come up about a foot. Track bars would never be this high either. Totally different forces involved for sure. I am aware that wheel hop is a concern however it takes really good traction for that. Hooking that hard on the street will not happen plus that narrow tire 140 will just break loose before it gets violent. That's why we got the fully adjustable rebound and compression shocks. I used to run a drag bike back around the early 90's at Englishtown and Atco race tracks and they were short bars for street use as well. It's impossible to have full length bars on the street without doubt. Not my fist drag bike used on the street. This bike is heavier than my old Kawi drag bike for sure. I will need to be selective and mindful of road conditions before using them yes. I will see how it all acts and then decide if they stay. It does indeed look wild as hell... Thanks.. Lol

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #927 (Edited)
Found a nice set of raw leather saddle bags so now I can have the leather guy stain them same color and make nice panels for. So now I can keep the bags on while he makes the pieces and this winter he can sew them on. I still think it looks cool. The wheelie bar wheels are on now with a half inch steel axle. 4" urethane wheels with double roller bearings in each so they will last a long time. For street use they need to be oversized or they'll hang up. Even going down driveway aprons they just roll off very easily no grinding anywhere. They also make good bumpers. For now the bars are staying. Got to ride now that it's all legal and back on the road. So I'm shaking it out now finding any minor issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #928
So I've been test riding and getting used to the bike again. Had to do a few shake down rides and found a few things got them fixed and all good now. I'm starting to get used to the floor boards as they are a first for me. They are more comfortable then pegs. I'm starting to like them. The police haven't bothered me yet about the bars or the bottles so that's a plus as well. I can say as far as my review of the Ohlins I have to say WOW what a difference! They ride nothing short of amazing. The bike has never been this easy on my body since I've owned it. They do an amazing job of keeping the tire planted no matter what the road conditions. They suck up small and large bumps without any harshness at all. Very confidence inspiring in the corners as well. If anyone's considering buying a set of Ohlins just do it they are well worth it in my opinion. All day riding on NY roads and I'm not even sore. That in itself is amazing. Motor is running really well. Haven't dynod it yet but can tell the carb is not far off the right jetting at all.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #929
That damn swaying under full throttle is still there. Again this has been going on since the last build. I just installed the rivera inserts made of metal into the rubber isolators, hoping should cure finally. Haven't tested yet. Just to review bike has urethane front motor mount, all new heavy duty heim joint stabilizers, cleave blocks removed and installed solid bronze tracula bushings, new rubber swingarm isolators, new paucho swingarm, new axle, wheel bearings, new mag wheel and tire. All has been upgraded. The only place left is the front wheel.... At 70mph at full wide open throttle the bike begins to sway getti g worse till I back off. Drivi g me nuts and keep g me from getting to three digits on speed. Jets were all changed as it was lean. Raced a guy the other day was funny. I'm riding with a group this guy pulls up on a 117 starts reving and pointing at me we take off and to my surprise we are dead even.. I can't believe he was right there with me. Thought my clutch was slipping because I found some burned plates. When the group caught up at the next light my buddy was laughing said I laid a hundred yards of rubber behind me.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #930
That damn swaying under full throttle is still there. Again this has been going on since the last build. I just installed the rivera inserts made of metal into the rubber isolators, hoping should cure finally. Haven't tested yet. Just to review bike has urethane front motor mount, all new heavy duty heim joint stabilizers, cleave blocks removed and installed solid bronze tracula bushings, new rubber swingarm isolators, new paucho swingarm, new axle, wheel bearings, new mag wheel and tire. All has been upgraded. The only place left is the front wheel.... At 70mph at full wide open throttle the bike begins to sway getting worse till I back off. Driving me nuts and keep g me from getting to three digits on speed. Jets were all changed as it was lean. Raced a guy the other day was funny. I'm riding with a group this guy pulls up on a 117 starts reving and pointing at me, we take off and to my surprise we are dead even.. I can't believe he was right there with me. Thought my clutch was slipping because I found some burned plates. When the group caught up at the next light my buddy was laughing said I laid a hundred yards of rubber behind me.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #931
Finally... The problem has been solved. The Rivera Primo "Stiffy" incerts were the fix. No mo more swaying under wide open throttle at 70mph. The rear end is noticeably tighter no deflection. Not really sure why it ossilates in the isolators since the motor trans and swingarm are all connected but there was obvious movement. Now rock steady cornering it is sharper and cleaner. I had the sta-bo bushing I certs but they still give enough not to stop it. The Primo ones are solid metal zero give.

·
Registered
16,386 Posts
Cool. Now give it the juice and get back to us.

Sent from here to there.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #933
Easy..... I've been getting the carb close its going on the dyno next week just to check the air fuel ratio before they go online.... Soooonnn

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #934
Had to fix that wobble, 70mph comes up quick, more so on the juice. Rode it and shook out all the bugs and tuning. It's gotta be a solid bike before all the fun stuff

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #935
Something in the front end just didn't feel right so I had to tear it down and check things out. Since I put the mag wheel in the rear with a commander II I just felt something was off. Took off the Avon Cobra front and changed to same as rear, replaced wheel bearings and races, pulled and checked neck bearings and re-tightened the head set. Rebuilding master for front brakes as well. Upping the fork oil from 15w to 20w. Should act even better than new as not one bearing or bushing hasn't been upgraded. I'll be riding and checking it all out tomorrow. Taking extra time to get it dialed in this time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How did you get them to send you your scans? I asked and was told that was a no go. Mine was eerily similiar. Did your fibula snap up high, too?

LOL I told them to chop mine off! Multiple times! Figured I would be faster without the added weight!
The scans, x-rays, test results, etc., are your property.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #937
We are all good new changes to front end were quite successful, all is right with the world. She's crisp again. Went to an MC bike wash/ bbq wouldn't want to depribe you guys.... Lol
DSC_0130~2.JPG

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #940
It's a fun event. They charge twenty bucks a head. Includes food and bike wash. If you get your bike washed you toss the girls a tip. They were great spent ten minutes just posing. Had like twenty pics. Texted them to the brunette, she wanted copies for their site. All good with me. Everybody had fun.

921 - 940 of 1104 Posts