V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During this year's Sturgis rally, I rode Spearfish canyon in both directions, and did the Needles hiway as well. Those were my favorites among the many sides trips I did in the Black Hills. I've heard a lot about Deal's Gap and the area around it in TN/NC and am thinking about making a trip east next year to ride that area. Would appreciate comments from anyone who has ridden both areas. How do they compare? Thanks!

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Notactingmyage said:
During this year's Sturgis rally, I rode Spearfish canyon in both directions, and did the Needles hiway as well. Those were my favorites among the many sides trips I did in the Black Hills. I've heard a lot about Deal's Gap and the area around it in TN/NC and am thinking about making a trip east next year to ride that area. Would appreciate comments from anyone who has ridden both areas. How do they compare? Thanks!
Have done 'em both, Deal's Gap twice, Spearfish and Needles Hwy numberous time. No comparison...Both are great but I liked Deal's Gap and that part of the country better. BUT if you want to travel a very unique road and some consider the most beautiful highway in the country ride Bear Tooth Pass in Wyoming. Breath taking.

But that's my opinion!!

o~\o

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Ditto here. Both done, Deal's Gap back in Sept. Both have their beauty, and they're both fun to ride. I prefer Deal's Gap, personally. And Texan is right, that part of the country (Tennessee) is gorgeous).

Beartooth Pass, is on my to-do list for next year.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Clayton said:
......Beartooth Pass, is on my to-do list for next year.
Yeah, ya go'n have to wait a year because the Pass is closed for repairs. Bad rock/mud slide this past July/August and they don't think it'll be repaired for at least a year or maybe more.

o~\o

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Texan said:
Yeah, ya go'n have to wait a year because the Pass is closed for repairs. Bad rock/mud slide this past July/August and they don't think it'll be repaired for at least a year or maybe more.
That one is not fixed yet?? They originally said it would be done this year.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Looks like Beartooth is open already.

"Repairs to the Beartooth Highway (Hwy 212) are now complete and the road was opened to traffic October 7. This road, which closes each winter because of excessive snow and adverse winter conditions, will be open from Red Lodge to the Montana/Wyoming border as long as weather permits. Please check the road condition report for the most updated conditions. In Wyoming, the road is closed from Long Lake to the Montana Wyoming border."

Beartooth Highway Reconstruction Time line
May 19-20 Five mud and debris slides damage highway in 13 locations after heavy rains and snow
May 22 Governor Schweitzer flies over slide area to survey damage
May 23 Director Jim Lynch flies over slide area to survey damage
May 26 MDT engineers survey damage on ground for first time
May 27 MDT contracts with JTL Group to begin clearing debris in preparation for contractor to begin work
May 28 Governor declares emergency
Late May National Park Service and Central Federal Lands pledge to help effort by stalling Wyoming construction on Beartooth Highway and shifting $12 million from those projects for use in Montana
May 31 Senator Max Baucus tours slides
June 3 Jim Lynch announces target completion date of October 15, 2005
June 6 MDT surveyors begin setting GPS control points
June 13 Deadline for Request for Proposal to reconstruct highway
June 15 Montana Transportation Commission Awards project to Kiewit Western (Littleton, Colo.), HKM Engineering (Billings), JTL Group (Billings) and work begins immediately
October 7 Beartooth Highway is reopened

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
sthorp said:
Looks like Beartooth is open already.
That's great. When we talked to 'em in August they were saying a year more. I rode it a year ago this past August and loved it.

So, notactingmyage, I'd put BearTooth pass on your list of highways to ride this next year. Was reminded over the weekend that the HOGTales magazine had featured BearTooth in their latest rag.

o~\o

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have ridden Spearfish Canyon, the Needles Highway, and Beartooth Pass. all are great. I have also been on the Chief Joseph Trail Highway, and through Rocky Mountain National Park.

A lesser known road is the Coronado Trail Highway between Alpine and Morinci, Az. This is 90+ miles, and has the destinction of having the most curves per mile than any highway in the USA. It goes from Alpine forests to the Arizona desert floor in that 90 miles. If you are in the area it is a must do.

For information, the National HOG Rally is in Billings, MT this year, and will give rally goers the opportunity to ride Beartooth Pass and the Chief Joseph Trail.

Regards,

Bill

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
billnourse said:
A lesser known road is the Coronado Trail Highway between Alpine and Morinci, Az. This is 90+ miles, and has the destinction of having the most curves per mile than any highway in the USA. It goes from Alpine forests to the Arizona desert floor in that 90 miles. If you are in the area it is a must do.

Bill
I don't have a map handy. is that leading to the Grand Canyon North rim? That is a really nice ride.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
95 FXST said:
I don't have a map handy. is that leading to the Grand Canyon North rim? That is a really nice ride.
You're thinking of Alt 89 from Kanab to Jacob Lake, then 87 to the north rim. I've been on it a few times and I agree that's a great ride.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The road I'm talking about is not the road to the North Rim, although that is a great ride.

The Coronado Trail is Highway 191 between Alpine and Morinci, Az.

Regards,

Bill

·
Registered
769 Posts
We rode deals gap this last sept .....it is a very challenging road ,,, I would rate it as the most demanding road i have ever ridden to date. My suggestion for anyone who whats to ride it is to ...... hit it mid sept. Traffic is lighter , kids are back in school ,, and you will get there before the fall color tour people show up .....rat

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
FLHTDan said:
Beartooth Pass, is on my to-do list for next year.

Where in Wyoming is Beartooth Pass?
Never mind I found it!![/QUOTE]

I always start from MT and ride into Cody, WY, which is right there near Yellowstone. The Bighorns in WY heading back to Rapid City are very nice too. I've never been on 14A though. It's always been closed for the season.

·
Noch ein Bier, bitte!
113 Posts
Anyone know how Deals Gap and the Dragon would compare to the Ortega Highway in southern California? I drove the Ortega highway in a car and almost got seasick from all the curves! There were a ton of bikes on it too. I can only imagine how much more fun it would be on a bike. :hmmm:

·
Registered
769 Posts
TheBeerGuy said:
Anyone know how Deals Gap and the Dragon would compare to the Ortega Highway in southern California? I drove the Ortega highway in a car and almost got seasick from all the curves! There were a ton of bikes on it too. I can only imagine how much more fun it would be on a bike. :hmmm:

Deals has 318 tight turns in 11 miles of road .... if you do the math...... thats a hairpin turn every 182 feet. If you ride deals it takes your total focus ... at 30 mph i think you cover like 176 feet a second .... rat

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
ratt said:
Deals has 318 tight turns in 11 miles of road .... if you do the math...... thats a hairpin turn every 182 feet. If you ride deals it takes your total focus ... at 30 mph i think you cover like 176 feet a second .... rat
The object at Deals Gap is to make the run in 10 minutes, if you can. Common enough on sport bikes. I know one guy with a 99 RK that did it. It's really not something I'd even attempt.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Minor point of correction. At 30 MPH you are traveling 44 feet per second.

Rapid One
2005 Fat Boy

"When in doubt, Gas it. It won't help but it ends the suspense!"

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Ed Y said:
.....It's really not something I'd even attempt.
The very point I tried to make over in another thread posting a video of two Goldwings running the "tail". I've run it twice and both times I rounded a corner to meet up with a semi taking up both lanes. DUH!! Call me chicken!!

Don't get me wrong, if you get an opportunity to run the "tail" do it but do it smartly. Look at the Dragon Tail website, page down about 7 pages and see the pics. Enough to make my cheeks pucker again.

I was told one time that the reason some trucks even try to run that highway because if they're new to that part of the country and you look at an Atlas it shows US129 as a shortcut and a straight road...DUH!!

o~\o

1 - 20 of 29 Posts