V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week I bought a 1990 Ultra Classic Electra Glide from my local dealer. Before I signed the deal, we went and looked over the bike. One thing was how everything worked. I was told the CB Intercom worked but the sales lady did not know how to turn it on. I specifically asked if the CB intercom worked and was told she was sure it worked. I also asked if there was any other known issues and she stated no. The bike so far runs great but when I turn the CB on the channel display does not light up at all. Before I left they washed the bike. The guy that washed it said he thought the CB did not work but did not know. Taking the sales ladies word I had already signed paperwork under the assumption everything should be fine. The next day I talked to the sales lady and advised what was said. She said it may just need cleaned but was sure it still worked. I told her I would like it replaced or repaired if necessary. She talked to the sales manager and he said no they were not responsible for the CB. After complaining directly to the sales manager he is going to have it checked out, but still has not guaranteed he would fix it if necessary.

What approach should I take on this. I have had the bike a week and the issue was address that I thought in fact it may not work the following day. I feel if your told in good faith something work even though they say its an accessory to the bike It should work. Otherwise I feel I should of been told they did not know and its sold as is..

Furthermore I was told the intercom headsets were available from HD. Again after the sale when I went to buy them they stated the 90 and below models were discontinued. I can deal with that since it was a purchase I was going to make anyhow and I found sets at J&M.

I really feel tommorrow they are going to discover it does not work then blow me off. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Stay on there ass to make it right be very persistent. If they want fix it tell them you don't want the bike and you will spread the word about your experience with them.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Well, you signed a contract that is undoubtedly binding. You can't just say I don't want it now. Besides the fact that you simply can't do that, acting huffy and childish probably weakens your negotiations with the dealer. Nevertheless, here's what I would do if you already haven't. Meet with the manager and sales person together. State to the sales person something like.."did you or did you not tell me the CB was in working order? but we didn't test it because you were unfamiliar with it's operation." If she acknowledges this conversation occurred, then I would ask the manager if he and the dealership stands by ALL statements made by their sales representatives. You can take it from there. Of course if she denies she ever made that statement re: a working CB then you're plain SOL.

Bottom line is verbal "promises" don't mean squat and can't be proven. If there is ever any doubt about something working or not working, it must be stated/written into the contract.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I think that they should be responsible for the repairs. Your conversation with the salesperson should stick. They stated that it did work, but didn't know how to operate it to prove it. That statement alone should cement the deal. Fred made a great comment above, don't get loud and rude, but don't accept anything but what you were promised. Please update, I'm curious to find out what happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts