V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the new Street Rod for my girlfriends Birthday in March. She started riding it in May when Milwaukee started having a little decent weather. Since the, we have had quite a few problems. The tires won't maintain air pressure (losses of 6 to 10 PSI after a 50 mile ride, won't maintain coolant level, extremely high engine temp, large gasoline overflow after filling tank to recommended level and riding 15 highway miles).

My local dealer (I'm not going to name them but they could look at their windows and spit on corporate headquarters) is full of incompetent service managers and service advisors. One advisor told me I would loose 4 PSI each time I used a tire gauge. Another told me the overflow coolant reservoir should always be empty. They said I will always have a gasoline overflow each time she rides.

And yes, I am switching dealers.

Anyway, I decided to research some facts about how engine temp and ambient air temp affect gasoline expansion. About how tire pressure increases when tire temperature is raised. I just want to be completely informed before I go the new dealer.

I decided that I shouldn't have to spend my time doing research when Harley Corporate already has all these answers.

So I sent Harley Corporate a list of technical questions and waited for a reply.

Harley Corporate declined to answer telling me to read the owners manual (which is by far the WORST manual ever written).

SO: Any thoughts from the world on this? Were my expectations for getting technical information from Harley Corporation too high? Should I expect lousy service from a HUGE Milwaukee dealership? Do you think Harley knows there are some issues with their redesign?

I can't wait to see responses.

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
No opinion on the tires. If they loose that much on a ride, they should be flat after sitting a week.

As for the gas, is it over flowing at the cap, if so, it needs a new cap or screwed on tighter.

Any place else that it leaks would need to have that leak fixed. It's a non vented system.

Can't speak as to the coolant either. Is the bottle marked with a full line? Is it marked as to fill hot or cold? If so, then it should maintain that level.

A word of caution, don't speak with sales people about service issues. Talk to the service desk. Start a job ticket with each visit and keep a copy. Even if they say nothing is wrong. Then if you find out later that they were untruthful or incompetent, you can ask them to make it right with a check. Those documents will go a long way with a small claims judge.

You said you didn't want to mention names, but Windy City owns one of the stores. Not the worst owners, but not like a family run store. And the other is owned by Capital Automotive Real Estate Services, Inc. Their rep in the car industry down here is that they rape each and every customer with a courtesy and a smile. And their service department is the subject of more than a few complaints on other forums.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
One issue at a time. Tires, pump them up using a good gauge check them. Mix up some soap and water take your time and slowly go over every inch of the tire. Side walls center and bead. Check the wheel also and valve stem area.
By Harley Corporation I assume you mean you called customer service.. They just document issue. they should have given you a tracking number.
When you cool off make a list of the issues. After you do you air test you may know more. Make an appointment to speak to the Service manger. Report back.
Gas Cap just like the Street is a locking cap . It must be installed 100% correctly or it will leak. Go back out remove it. Line it up correctly and push down firmly turn key to lock then remove key.

Cooling system . Over flow tank will have a cold level line Most cases they need to be upright when check. If it is low cool , fill it to proper level and look around for leaks. If none are found it may be just had air pocket and will be fine from then on. If not report back.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Curious about the tires. Are you checking the air pressure before the ride? Roughly the same time of day and similar temps etc? If the bike is sitting in direct sunlight the tire temp can rise and increase tire pressure. It's the ideal gas law, ask any Patriots fan about it . Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Probably the dealer moved the bike around and the tires were slack. We're there any miles on it 2-3 maybe?

I went for awhile with the incorrect pressure and I had to keep adding air. Cwilks said to put 36r 34f.
Wow. Now she can sit for 3 weeks and only be off a lb in either tire.

Thanks again Cwilks.√

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tires: I have three gauges, and I tested them on another bikes tires..... I tested each three times and compared the readings. Two of the gauges read exactly the same, the third was 1 pound off. I now use one of the two that are accurate. I always test the tires when they are cold, at least 6 hours after a ride. The bike is stored in a garage that maintains an even 70 degrees always. BTW, a ten degree rise in the tire's temperature causes a one pound increase in PSI (per Car and Driver magazine among other sources). After rides of 50 miles or so, we consistently see a drop in pressure between 4 to 10 PSI. NO leaks or punctures that I can find, but I am going to soap test them again.

Gas: The gas cap is locking, and the key can't be removed if the cap is not seated correctly. We try to fill the tank to the same level each fill up. My question to Harley was a simple one I thought. I wanted to know what the designed temperature increase in the tank is when the bike is ridden 15 highway miles, and the outside temperature is about 80 degrees. I'm concerned that the rather large gasoline overflow will be a continuing occurrence - and result in a fire (the puddle on the garage floor was about 6 inches in diameter).

Coolant: The dealer delivered it with an empty reservoir. I filled it to the cold fill line (bike level and cold engine). After about 50 miles, the reservoir level was approximately 3/8 inches lower. The next day I took it to the dealer. They told me the radiator was full. I tried to explain that it was full because I filed the reservoir three times, then gave up. One service guy told me the reservoir should always be empty!

I really appreciate all the input. I would love to hear if anyone has had a similar experience with NOT being able to get Harley Corporation to give information.....

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Don't know you and no disrespect meant but maybe you're being a little anal and/or pissed off and things seem worse than they are.

Keeping it simple, sounds like five issues: leaking gas, not maintaining coolant fluid level, running hot, air pressure issue and poor service at the dealer.

Leaking gas - dangerous, take it to another dealer. Document it. Keep going back until fixed or you have a considerable enough paper trail to go legal.

Coolant leak - what does the manual say? Is a little loss normal, or normal when new/under certain conditions? If there's a consistent loss that's not normal - where's it going? You seeing leakage on your garage floor? Is the motor broken in? Smell coolant when it's running or just turned off? White smoke out the exhaust? If you're regularly having to fill it and can see no leakage other signs, and you're following the guidance in the manual - take it in and document everything.

Running hot - how hot is hot? Have a temp gage or gun? What seems hot might be normal. Temp light on/gage pegged? Fan running all the time/motor going into limp mode?

Tires - if they're not leaking - soap test, valve cores tight, and they're not going flat after a few days - I'd chalk it up to weather, temp, tire temp fluctuations due to usage, improper use of air gage, and carry on.

My $.02 FWIW.

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
If it leaks gas onto the floor, then have the dealer pick it up and fix it. That's simple.

Don't ride a scooter with a fuel leak.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Come on back in the conversation. There is enough experience here to one issue at a time walk you through it. If we can help you understand it and solve it. You will at least have a better understanding of the issue when dealing with HD.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
To me, you make it sound like he posted and didn't check back. He posted 3hrs. before yours.
Give him a little time to sort things.

EDIT: Or not. Oh well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts