V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my local dealer said two more dealerships in San Jose are on the block and up for sale.....If its true, House of Thunder near morgan hill, and Penisula HD in Redwood City California might be up for sale.
Seems like several shops are closing down lately:xhere:
Just sayin'

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Last night my local dealer said two more dealerships in San Jose are on the block and up for sale.....If its true, House of Thunder near morgan hill, and Penisula HD in Redwood City California might be up for sale.
Just sayin'
Right now is not a good time to be a dealer of any vehicle with the economy the way it is. Doesn't help much when HD prices their bikes so damn high either. Not sure if those dealers that your talking about are good or not. If you screw to many people in the long run it will catch up to you and maybe it just caught up to them. Ever notice how the really good dealers that have been around for 50 plus years seem to be doing alright. Customer service is everything but very few dealerships IMHO have it nowadays.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Yep, that's true.

It's not hard to remember the arrogance and the gouging thrown on us everytime we walk through the door.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Full dress Harley is cheaper than a full dress Goldwing with same equipment...Now Honda is moving back to Japan.... You think I can pick up one of these dealers with my Federal Stimulus check?

Actually I know when I go into a dealer I am paying MSRP on a bike and on accessories 10% less on what the accessories catalog says because dealer gives a discount. I think where they can screw you is on labor and warranty coverage but I have to say I have been treated pretty good over the years.
Just Saying...

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Full dress Harley is cheaper than a full dress Goldwing with same equipment.....
Is that so? My experience: 2006 Honda Gold Wing with level four options -- ABS brakes, factory GPS, heated seats and heated grips. MSRP just under $23,000. I negotiated down to $19,800 plus tax and license fee. No dealer charge for set up. No need for added performance kits. Just put gas and oil in bike and rode off. First scheduled maintenance was at 4K miles -- oil and filter change. Bike now has just over 30K miles on the ODO, with no factory recalls or unscheduled service needed.

Just prior to buying the Wing, I priced a 2006 Ultra Classic at $21,000, plus freight, set up fee, plus $400 documentation fee :yikes: and other added $$$ crap at two local dealers. There was no negotiating price with dealer -- told take it or leave it. Scheduled services in my area are every 2,500 miles. Then there's the need for stage one or stage two kits for more performance.

No Sir, a full dress Harley is not cheaper to buy than a GL1800, not when you factor in all the added bullsh*t that HD dealers have been getting away with.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Harley forced the dealers to build big expensive boutiques. HD screwed its dealers.

Reactions: 1200XLC

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Harley forced the dealers to build big expensive boutiques. HD screwed its dealers.
I don't know if they were forced or not. Maybe the owners thought the bubble would just keep growing. Now that the bubble has burst i'm sure that a few will go under.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
So what's the complaint.. Harley sells there bikes for what it is listed for? I was speaking MSRP VS. MSRP.... I have had 7 Goldwings and two Valkyries and am very familiar with them...I have negotiated for a discounted Goldwing and got a lower price....It's no secrete that Harley does not deal below MSRP... I do change my oil every 2500 miles but that is not a factory recommendation. I believe that is every 5000 miles. I am on my second Ultra Classic and love the bike. Now have 40,000 on my 2006... You can't be too happy about Honda moving production of the Goldwing back to Japan..

PS. Goldwing does not come with CB or CD. That would pump your MSRP price up another 2 grand. Your almost due for a Valve Adjustment....

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
The market will bear what the market will bear.
I dont LIKE the harley pricing any more than the
next rider.
But bottom line is, IF need be, I will continue to pay
what I have to pay to ride the bike I WANT to ride.

I really dont get the complaining about the costs involved
with riding and maintaining a bike YOU chose to ride.

If I have ONE complaint....its not the price of the
Parts Counter items.....its the, as of late, shitty quality.
Charge me what you will charge me....but give me the
quality I EXPECT from harley.

JMHO

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
....It's no secrete that Harley does not deal below MSRP
Is that something that HD dealers are proud of?? How many of us have negotiated a better price on a car or truck or shopped around for a better deal on a major appliance?

... I do change my oil every 2500 miles but that is not a factory recommendation
It is for a hot dusty climate.....Tucson Arizona. (It's in the owners manual)

... You can't be too happy about Honda moving production of the Goldwing back to Japan
Since I don't trade bikes every year of so, I'll be keeping the GL1800 for many more years, therefore I'm not concerned with Honda moving GL1800 production to Japan. At 30K miles my Wing is still under factory warranty and an extended warranty is less than $450 thru Honda. What's the cost of HD extended warranty? I can't seem to ever get a firm price from my local HD dealer!!

...Goldwing does not come with CB or CD. That would pump your MSRP price up another 2 grand
I quit listening to mindless CB chatter many years ago. AFA my needing a CD player, I use XM satellite radio on the Wing and on the Road Glide. (175 channels)

Your almost due for a Valve Adjustment....
It's a Valve check at 32k miles. BTW, GL1800 has never needed a primary chain adjustment or a drive belt replacement or cam drive gear to replace substandard cam chain tension pads.

IMO, the Harley Davidson Motor Company has been screwing customers for years by overcharging for flashy paint and chrome, tacked on fees and surcharges, substandard repair service and cheaply made trinkets from China.

Let the flames begin........:boxin:

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
???????????

Comparing, a Goldwing to a Ultra, is like comparing an apple pie and a bowl of rice pudding.... Their both round but thats it....%[email protected]

I've owned both too...:coffee:
I own (2) 07 Harleys a Ultra and a SG but have driven the Goldwing and like it differently. I am not going out to buy one but I wouldn't be ashamed to ride one.

Same for BMW bikes excellent but dealers are way too far and between!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I don't know if they were forced or not. Maybe the owners thought the bubble would just keep growing. Now that the bubble has burst i'm sure that a few will go under.
My Dad knows a guy, who was making money doing great. Then was forced to spend tons of money by HD. Now verge of going under.

I have heard from a few people, that dealerships were forced.

When is the last time you were are a HD dealer that looked like a bike shop? I can'r beleive everyone built a boutique on there own.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Comparing, a Goldwing to a Ultra, is like comparing an apple pie and a bowl of rice pudding.... Their both round but thats it....%[email protected]

I've owned both too...:coffee:
Granted you won't mistake one with the other, but I do think they are comparable. They are both decked out touring machine. One may have differant bells and whitstle, or performance, but functionally they are the same. They are made for lomg distance riding, and protectin from the weather.

What I mean is they are both touring bikes.

If your were not brand loyal, and wanted a bike to tour on, the 3 you would look into, would be GW,Ultra, and LT. Then decide which is right for you.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I am not trying to flame anybody but just set the record straight... I have negotiated for other vehicles. They have to, they have competition. Harley does not, that is if you want a Harley that's it.

Actually I did get a extended 7 year warranty from the dealer for $1000. I thought that was pretty fair.

I have 40,000 miles on my 2006. Have not needed a primary chain or a belt and had the tensioners checked at 36,000 miles and they were fine.

1800's have had their issues past and present with overheating, cracked frames and transmission issues....

All that flash chrome stuff.... I bought without having my arm twisted... Personally I like the big HD dealers. I like stopping by on a Saturday and having free food and a Rock Band playing in the parking lot and about 100 people just kicking tires and enjoying the day... I never got that with Honda...

If it makes you feel good ride it but dont believe all the anti Harley hype... I know because I use to spew it.... I got more crap from my Honda buddies when I went to Harley than I ever got from Harley guys when I road my Goldwing or Valkyrie...

Ride Safe

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just sayin'
I had no idea of this. House of Thunder is the newest dealership of the area and is beautiful. Oakland upsized very recently. I was shocked to learn that McGuire consolidated by closing down their San Ramon location and now only has Walnut Creek.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I am not trying to flame anybody but just set the record straight... I have negotiated for other vehicles. They have to, they have competition. Harley does not, that is if you want a Harley that's it
I suppose Harley didn't have competition 4-5 years ago when buyers waited up to a year for their bike. But that was then -- this is now and today the customer is now in charge. The greedy HD dealers need to wake up to this!!

Actually I did get a extended 7 year warranty from the dealer for $1000. I thought that was pretty fair
Not bad considering you had to purchase the extended warranty within 30 days of picking up your new bike, or pay an additional surcharge. That dealership greed again!! My Honda extended 4 year warranty can be purchase just days before expiration on my factory three year unlimited mileage warranty.

I have 40,000 miles on my 2006. Have not needed a primary chain or a belt and had the tensioners checked at 36,000 miles and they were fine.
No primary chain adjustment in all that time. Or where you required to purchase the chain spring tensioner upgrade. The Germans and the Japanese began using hydraulic primary chain tensioners along with liquid cooling over 20 years ago. BMW went to oil head cooling in the early '90's and 6sp transmission five years ago.

1800's have had their issues past and present with overheating, cracked frames and transmission issues....
All issues that were factory paid corrected five years ago, about the time Harley began installing lesser quality crankshaft bearings in the TC88.

All that flash chrome stuff.... I bought without having my arm twisted... Personally I like the big HD dealers. I like stopping by on a Saturday and having free food and a Rock Band playing in the parking lot and about 100 people just kicking tires and enjoying the day... I never got that with Honda...
Just who do you think pays for the free food and Rock band at dealer events? The dealer because he has a good heart? Come on now.....!

When I lived in Pennsylvania, there was a Harley dealer some distance from me in northeast Philadelphia who heavily support ABATE, but didn't have Sunday cook outs. A more local dealer, about one mile from my home, had burgers and hot dogs each Sunday but would not support ABATE.

Guess which dealer got my business!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I purchased my first 2003 Ultra in 2002 and bought it right off the showroom floor.. Some have had to wait but it was not in my case. I did order my 2006 3 months before production but anyone would have to wait under those circumstances.

You are right about the Honda warranty but it depends on the dealer just like the Harley extended warranty. My local Honda dealer at the time wanted 800 bucks for a 3 year extended warranty got it online for half that. I also found Harley dealers the same way. Some wanted more some wanted less..

My buddie with his 2006 1800 which overheated and had to be towed to the dealer would argue that the overheating issue has been fixed. He had the same problem with his 2002 and had the frame welded...

Actually I am not all shook up about buying stuff for my bike on my free will and then having the dealers in my area show their appreciation by having something going on every Saturday.

I don't care if they support ABATE or not...

It sounds like your happy and I am happy guess we will just have to leave it at that.

·
Registered
844 Posts
For about the past 5 years, motorcycles have become very mainstream. More and more new buyers (myself included) have come on board. For some, it was a passing fad. Maybe they just didn't like riding as much as they thought they would. In the past, the economy may have supported these folks keeping their bike as an art form to look at, but rarely (if ever) ride. Now, if a guy doesn't ride and doesn't really plan to- he's more likely to need the money and get rid of the bike. The dealer then loses a sale to someone who buys a used bike instead of a new one. I think people are also less likely to spend as much money on parts, leathers, and HD trinkets. Add this to the fact that many of these dealerships outfitted their stores with expensive plasma TV's everywhere, and more space than they can fill with bikes anymore, and it's probably tough to make ends meet. Not blaming anybody. Just calling it how I see it.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
wow...i'm a bit surprized...

i thought this would be where all the guys whove been writing about how much better they could run a harley dealer would be chompin at the bit to pick up one of these gems and show us how to get rich and have a clear conscience at the same time.

cmon...show us now

even more surprized that it turned into a "mine is bigger than yours" comparison of gold wings and ultras...for christs sake grow up will ya...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts