V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A car this past week took out a bike about four car lengths ahead of me and I was caught up in the aftermath with damage to mine.

HOG roadside was able to find a tow company after four hours and take my bike to the dealership, which is where I thought it needed to go.

What nobody tells you when you are using insurance is that you should take your bike to your house so that it can first be estimated there.

The dealership I towed to and left in the bike parking area of their lot had taken the locked forked bike with no key left for security reasons as dragged it inside out of sight. Okay except for the following.

When I called to let them know the bike left outside was mine involved in pile up, they said no worries just drop off the key and fill out some paperwork for the insurance estimate.

The PAPERWORK means if you decide not to get the bike worked on by the dealership you towed it to you'll pay $342 for their estimate that I was told should match the insurance companies usually and $14 a day storage fees.

Just wanted to share this so that in the event any of you found yourselves in a similar situation that you'd have it towed home first so you'd have more options.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
If you wreck a Harley take it to a dealership for estimate and repair. Period. Do not think you are going to come out better some where else.
1. HD dealer knows the adjuster that will look at your claim
2. HD dealer knows your bike
3. if you you want it done right HD dealer .
Towing the bike home leaves you open to adjuster cutting your claim. Never tow it home. Unless you had no insurance

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
So basically they are a crooked dealer and should be publicly shamed! Funny thing is that with cars estimates are free and generally no charge for "storage" unless it sits there for days with no progress, and that's mostly 'cause lots of things get totaled.

Again, sounds like a crap dealer who should be shamed into fixing their ways, or shamed out of business.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
There are a lot of very good indy's that know your bike just as good as any dealerships. In some cases better. If I did not do my own work I know a few indy's I would not have a problem taking my bike too. Not the MoCo.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
After the Honda dealer in Lumberton, NC screwed me over I never went to another dealer for my bikes. The problem is finding a good indie. The metric bikes were done by a fella that fixed 4 wheelers and lawnmowers. When I bought the Harley I had to find someone else. Luckily the metric guy knew the man who would become a friend and my indie. Just because we are friends dosen't cut the labor cost though. It is hard to stay friends if one always has their hand out.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
My Ultra was involved in a mva last July. The bike was taken to my dealer. The adjuster didn't show until two weeks later. The dealership did the estimate but that's meaningless unless the adjuster agrees . then they go back and forth. The bike was there for almost a moth. I wouldn't expect them to store it for free. I'm sure it took some time to look up all the part numbers and pricing. They aren't going to do it for free only to have the person take it and shop around.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
When I totaled my 2011 on Thursday, Friday was a Holiday. Monday Adjuster was at dealership. check in full and very good settlement Monday at 4:00 PM.
Adjuster took awhile as he had to document all the damage and there was a lot of it.
It your insurance company jacks you around that is an issue with them. If you want it fixed right take it to a dealer.
Wife car was rear end here a while back Indy shop would not guarantee a prefect match on her special white paint. told them to stick it took it to ford deal no problem.
Matched prefect.
Most Indy anything take a lot of short cuts. Also hard to get them to stand by the work.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
When I totaled my 2011 on Thursday, Friday was a Holiday. Monday Adjuster was at dealership. check in full and very good settlement Monday at 4:00 PM.
Adjuster took awhile as he had to document all the damage and there was a lot of it.
It your insurance company jacks you around that is an issue with them. If you want it fixed right take it to a dealer.
Wife car was rear end here a while back Indy shop would not guarantee a prefect match on her special white paint. told them to stick it took it to ford deal no problem.
Matched prefect.
Most Indy anything take a lot of short cuts. Also hard to get them to stand by the work.
My ranger truck and I hit a large buck. Folded the front end to the windshield. Bumper was pristine. Took to reputable shop.ha. Paint matched perfectly. Signed the check. I was a dumbass for sure. Water pump leaked in 6 months and shocks at same time. Junkyard parts. I couldn't keep u joints cause a weight on the driveshaft was knocked off. Never again.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. I think the local dealership is pretty good AND I have an local independent that's got a good rep too. I'll use each as needed but for insurance work, dealership all the way.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Remember a total loss can be a good thing vs.repairs, so go over the estimate then look at your machine and see if they missed anything.

If you aren't mechanically inclined than do what's convenient.

I have cash register eyes so when I've been hit (luckily trucks only so far) I got a dealer estimate then went to an outfit I knew charged very high prices. Then I took the check and handled it myself but a good indy can do it IF you communicate well. You can order HD factory parts online from Ronnie's (nice lookup tool too) and Surdyke etc. or buy from your dealer then carry them elsewhere for installation. Less stuff for the indy to research and order so that's nice for them.

No insurance company I know of covers frame repairs because of risk. Steel tube frames are easy to sort out in real life unless mangled, then it's replacement time (after slicing off the portion with the VIN to keep with the title). There are usually plenty of straight frames from reputable dismantlers on Ebay. I only buy them with clear title (Ebay rules on saying "title" in an advert are bizarre so learn to distinguish ads with NON-salvage titles, they usually have a photo of the title itself.)

Cosmetic frame dings which displace any metal are still damage so push for a frame replacement if you find any! No insurance company is gonna demand you keep a slightly egged or dinged tube. I'd be doing my best "what if it snaps in half and kills me and my child on the highway???" rant to make sure.

I'd make money if any of my HDs were totaled in a crash and come out with a nicer motorcycle. I'd do a cheap buyback and see if I could negotiate getting paid just under total loss value without having Salvage marked on the title and keep the motorcycle. It costs insurance companies time and money to process and auction off wrecks so you may be able to deal. They aren't emotionally attached to the machine.

For any Street models just go to the dealer as they are recent and have very few organ donors.

Everyone should work in a used car lot at least once. You learn many useful things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts