V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I bought my Heritage I was thinking of buying an Indian Chief. So me and my wife went down to the local Indian dealership and was checking them out. The salesman was talking to an interested buyer about Indians verses Harleys. He was saying that Indians were the bike of the future and that Harleys were going to fade away and they were a thing of the past. He just kept ranking on Harleys on how they were always in the shop and the upkeep cost was tremendous, the newer models were way over priced, and the resale value on the Indian vs. the Harley was a hell of a lot better. He told the interested buyer that he had a Harley and he was going to trade his in on a new Chief. Well I ot pissed and told him that I had a 79 shovel and that I paid $3500.00 back in 86 and I could got about $12k for it today. He was still putting down the HD line. My viens were starting to poke out of my neck by this time and my wife had to litterly drag me out of the dealership. I went down to the local Harley dealership a few months later and there was a new used Indian Chief down there. Someone had traded it in on a new Harley. I talked to one of the salesman and he told me that the dude
who owned the bike paid around $24 k for it. They gave him $16k for it.
Talk about resale value. Those are beautiful bikes and if I had $24k to throw down on one I would probably do it. Ya see more new Harleys on the road than new Indians tho. Indians the wave of the Future?

Arch

Arch

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
To each his own, Arch. The salesguy was just overly zealous in pushing his product. Don't let him get to ya'. And nobody here thinks that the H/D line is history.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Take it for what it is...he's a salesman. His job is to sell -sell-sell--
It's a quota thing.You have to expect him to push Indians, that's where he works. Some people though can only advance by ripping away the competetion.
Indian was a formidable foe in the pre-war days, but not now.
Betamax was also the wave of the future.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
We ride Harleys because that is what we do.

If we were to base our decisions on some of the arguments mentioned by the salesman it's anyones guess what we would be riding, if not necessarily an Indian.

Some of the arguments are valid. Did you ever ask yourself how come Harley is pushing EFI bikes to the point they are making it near impossible to get a carbureted bike in one of the more desirable models while Indian that has to comply to the same EPA regulations has no problem with Mikuni's. BTW, CMC/Indian is NOT classified as a small scale manufacturer.

There are many old time riders that believe the essence of a motorcycle is simplicity. Something the average owner can repair at the side of the road, not a bunch of electronic wizardry that even dealers with all the proprietary equipment have a hard time diagnosing.

While some of us may choose to build our own Harley's based on older components, there will be some that will choose so called other brands for the simple reason that they do not want to be married to a dealer.

Riding is about freedom, not about making appointments at a boutique to have kids screw up your ride.

None of us knows where this is going, but I can guarantee you that the long standing status quo is moving in some direction yet to be determined now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is no way the resale on an Indian is going to beat the resale on a Harley. I'll take that bet any day.
I like Indians too, but the bad thing is they are depreciating on the dealer floor. A couple of years ago the Indian Scout sold for $19,000 and some change, now they are trying to get $16,000. I still don't see any on the road.
Have the dealer check out the Indian owner rider reviews on motorcycleworld.com

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Well, we all know that opinions are like ( o )'s.

Put the same salesman working to put bread and butter on the table in a Harley Shop and guess what?

A person walking into ANY kind of motorcycle shop and thinking about slapping $15g's on the table don't need a salesman other than to draw up the paperwork.

The pros and cons should be measured by the "shopper" long before he meets a salesman.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts