V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a New Harley tire online. None of my local Harley dealers will mount this Harley tire on my Harley rim. Where can I get it mounted?

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Pikeslayer said:
Bought a New Harley tire online. None of my local Harley dealers will mount this Harley tire on my Harley rim. Where can I get it mounted?
You should have told them that the tire came from them and you received it as a gift.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Honda dealer in my town said they would do it. Dropped it off on my lunch hour. {salute(

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Pikeslayer said:
The Honda dealer in my town said they would do it. Dropped it off on my lunch hour. {salute(
Isn't it amazing how many H-D dealers will piss away labor business that a Honda dealer gladly takes? I had my local Yamaha/Suzi dealer (they do my annual state inspection) say they'd love to do minor things like tire mounting or fluid changes, are familiar with H-D bikes and have the service manuals.

·
Keep the rubber side down
1,015 Posts
That'll teach you not to buy from the STEALER.

·
Twist it, pop it, burn it
161 Posts
that is so damn true.. the other day I had a flat at work in Long Islsand city and the HD dealer is about 1/4 mile away. they wouldnt change it, had to schedule for monday. I live 70 miles away and told them to stick it, found an Indy about 7 blocks away and he had me wrapped up in about 45 minutes. Real nice guy and he made a repeat customer out of me...

just sayin...

·
1,336 Posts
Pikeslayer said:
Is the dealer in Piqua?

·
I ain't right
391 Posts
Tubless tire ? Mount it yourself. Tubed, most any tire shop, automotive repair shop or motorcycle dealer can and will mount them. Thurday the local auto repair shop removed my tire from my laced wheel. Friday night I mounted the tire on a new cast rim and Saturday morning I had a tire auto repair shop set the bead since I don't have an air tank large enough. Total cost $0.00, few handshakes and a big thank you.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Was traveling this weekend and a dealer had a notice that no items not purchased from them would be installed by their service dept.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jonas said:
Is the dealer in Piqua?
Yeah, Gover HD in Piqua refused. F&S in Dayton also refused.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now Honda won't do it

Guy just called me. Since the tire isn't the stock size, (I'm putting on the one that comes in the wide tire kit) they won't mount it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Try Competition Accessories over in Springfield,Oh

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Pikeslayer said:
Guy just called me. Since the tire isn't the stock size, (I'm putting on the one that comes in the wide tire kit) they won't mount it.
What a bunch of BS. Look for an Independent shop - not a dealership. I have one here in my area that will mount and balance for $25 a wheel. Don't even need an appointment - just walk in and they will put other major jobs on hold for basic tire mounts. I guess the dealerships have so much work they can afford to turn down work. Of course they are not looking at the customer relation aspect of their decision.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Must be a very rich H-D dealer. My local H-D dealer mounts any tire, as long as you're paying! I would do it myself, but I'm too lazy.

Thorns

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
I'm sensing that there may be more to the story, maybe?
How wide is the tire on there now, and how wide is the tire you want mounted?

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I took a wheel and tire that I had mounted to my dealer to be balanced. They did it no charge. I couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
My local dealer is the same way , only mouns tires bought through them.

Oddly they don't exclude any other parts like that , they gladly installed Andrews Cams / S&S gear drives, Cometic gaskets , Dyna Ignition etc....

They said it was a liability issue

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
nidan said:
My local dealer is the same way , only mouns tires bought through them.

Oddly they don't exclude any other parts like that , they gladly installed Andrews Cams / S&S gear drives, Cometic gaskets , Dyna Ignition etc....

They said it was a liability issue
While I'm not a lawyer, I think that's an excuse to get you to buy overpriced tires from them. Anybody can sue anybody else for anything....that's a given. But....if the installer simply notes on the work order/invoice that the tire installed is the customer's, then I don't see any liability other than for the mounting process which would be the same if the tire was bought from the installing dealer.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts