V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local HD Dealer just quoted me $780.00 to do a 30K service on a 2000 FLHTCUI. Is this about the going price, seems high to me?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
It is only $695 here. Most indys would do that service for $200-250. Or spend $50 for a service manual and do it yourself. Stealers have to pay for those $10,000,000 bldgs.

Bwana01

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Did you ask what that Includes?

Some dealers at the 30k Include pulling the can chest open to check the tensionors, some just replace them.

And some skip things like torquing the critical fasteners, always make sure you are comparing a apple to and apple.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Not sure where people are getting the "Indy can do it for less" idea
Around here, the dealers get 70-75 per hour, Indy 65-70 per
same hours for services
so you may save 15 bucks if you have a 3 hour service, and routine maintenance they usually do when they can squeeze it in, meaning they may start and no follow thru all at onceThat being said, I had some work done by Indy
Then had to go to dealer for rotor, master cylinder rebuild,etc., because rotor bent with tire change

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
jawrider said:
Not sure where people are getting the "Indy can do it for less" idea
Around here, the dealers get 70-75 per hour, Indy 65-70 per
same hours for services
so you may save 15 bucks if you have a 3 hour service, and routine maintenance they usually do when they can squeeze it in, meaning they may start and no follow thru all at onceThat being said, I had some work done by Indy
Then had to go to dealer for rotor, master cylinder rebuild,etc., because rotor bent with tire change
Dealer here gets $88/hr and the indy $50. This indy also does it right the first time.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
If you think they are going to spend 10 hours servicing your bike you better think again. They don't call them STEALERS for nothing.

·
"What's this do?"
229 Posts
I believe the 30k service includes new o-rings on the drain plugs.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I'd bet they don't do all items listed in the service manual but will charge for it any way. The most inexperienced mechanics do the interval services while the more experienced (I used that term loosely) mechanics work on engine upgrades, etc.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Wow!!! They check the cam chest!!! Takes all of 30 mins or so. Bring it on up , I will do the 30k for 1/2 price. ~!Awesome! :xhere:

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
ibilintuc said:
I believe the 30k service includes new o-rings on the drain plugs.
Okay, now THAT is funny!! :hystria:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
PosseRider said:
Wow!!! They check the cam chest!!! Takes all of 30 mins or so. Bring it on up , I will do the 30k for 1/2 price. ~!Awesome! :xhere:
You can take the exhaust off and put it back on in that amount of time??

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The dealer charged me $759 for a 30K... Now the big service was 20,000 miles which was supposed to include the front forks. I see on the work order that they charged for fork oil. That was less at $726? So why the 30K was more I really cant say. I have pre paid maintanence and only paid $20 for the syn upgrade in each service. I got a great deal on the PPM when I bought my bike. If you ride alot I would get it. I undertand the dealer is now offering PPM program with tire replacement at 3/32 of tread with no cost...

I live about 100 miles from my dealer so I wait and watch while they are working on my bike. It is a large dealer with over a dozen mechanics. And I have to tell you I see them do all the work all the way down to lubing the tour pak hinges.

Ps... $750 for 3 year unlimited mile service when I got my bike new... Don't think they will give it to me for that price again.

Doug

·
Registered
822 Posts
DLeppik said:
Ps... $750 for 3 year unlimited mile service when I got my bike new... Don't think they will give it to me for that price again.

Doug

Fluids and gaskets cost me approximately $60-$65 every time I do a service. I service mine every 3,000 miles. In a good year I'll put on about 10,000 miles. So that's about $180-$195 a year in maintenance. Over a three year span that's only $585 tops in fluids and gaskets. Does your contract cover parts?
If that contract covers parts and fluids, then that's not a bad deal if you do a lot of miles like me. But if it doesn't, you'd be far further ahead doing the service yourself. It only takes me about 2 hours to do a normal service on an HD following HD's service recomendations.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I run about 15,000 miles a year. Contract covers parts and fluids. I pay for syn upgrade. I use to do my own service and to be honest if I had to pay the $1500 (original cost of PMM) instead of the $750 deal I got, I probably would not have done it. I do think they do a more thorough job than I use to. Like the steering head bearing, cables lube and clutch adjustment and some things I use to skip over. I think if you go right down the list and do all the things the dealer does it would take more than two hours. But two hours sounds about right when I use to do it myself.

PPM is not for everybody you need to pencil it out. Plus you need to be able to do the work yourself. Some people are not able to do that.

Doug

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
something not right guys

$ 780 for a service job just seems a bit out of line. If you can get them to change fluids for $ 180 that leaves $ 600 for the rest of the service. THrow in $ 50 for grease and those little o-rings and you stll have $ 550 for labor. At $ 100 an hour I'm not ready to believe it takes 5.5 additional hours to do the check of fasteners, tensioners etc.

I had the cam tensioners replaced at a dealer in Santa Fe last year when they had to do an oil pump alignment. Cost $204.54 I had a transmission rebilt in Denver and it only cost $ 718.93. I'd consider those some faily major repairs compared to a 30K check up.

I guess my dealer experiences have been batter than most of your's.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The prices for service out here are ridiculous,and after paying $390 for the 1K(had complaints) I'm not about to take in the AZZ again.
Your best bet is to do it yourself if you like to wrench or find a shop you trust.
I dont think paying a dealer $100 an hour is worth it when I know I can do a better job.
I had to have a saddle bag latch spring replaced under warranty.Well the tech replaced the spring but it was not under tension.I tried to explain this to the service writer but he insisted the tech did it right because he watched him install it.I did not want to argue so I ended up fixing it my self.
Some of these employees think they walk on water.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Maybe, you should negotiate. You could do the things that you feel competent doing, and mark them off the list, and see how much they would charge you to do the things that you can't do. Not everyone is a wrench, and just because you have a manual will not make you competent at doing some of the jobs. You had better think this one through.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
30K Service

Well Ill tell ya this Im not up to that mileage yet my 05 Road King just had the 10K done thats the longest I've kept a bike I usually sell em or trade em in by then for a newer model. Anyways I had that service done by a local HD Dealer everyone was quoting from $450.00 to Plus!!! telling me I had to drop the bike fopr a day or two as that takes all day to do! The dealer I've been going to for years charged me $315.00 out the door with synthetic oils and did it in 2.5 hours while I went to the diner for breakfast and walked around!! Mills Harley Davidson in Burlington NJ see Carol in service shes the best, love her man shes the best!!Ride Safe, Bill SINY.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I had em do a 5k at 10k on one of my sportsters. That's all the MoCo requires as far as the warranty goes or so I was told.

Eh, I think that saved me a hunnerd and fiddy bucks or so and I still have a few months left on the warranty.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts