V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new Roadglide on July 12th. On the bill is the usual freight and prep although I bought it with an out the door price.

Today I get a notice that the recall for the break master cylinder is still open and must be done. A recall that was issued back in June.

While I know they didn't upload the last software upgrade to the Boom system, this pisses me off. They sold a new bike claiming to have done the prep and now they expect me to have it sit there for a day and a half?

At the least there better be a loaner in it. Now I'll have to check the legality of selling a new vehicle with a open recall on it. I'm almost thinking of a small claims case for the amount listed for the prep.

Meanwhile they still own me almost a thousand for my dropping their tire and wheel package the day after I bought it. They tell me it takes four to six weeks for the refund.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Out the door, meaning you paid cash? Cancelled the next day? They could have refunded you. No way they remitted the policy yet. Call the company in the fine print and see if they have the policy yet. Then call the GM at the dealer and tell him his finance person is ****ing with you.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not cash. The price was out the door. They have prep listed on the paperwork.

The "Tire and wheel Package" was the dealers, not HD. the next day after reading more about it gave little more than my bike insurance would cover. they had zero problem cancelling it as the state's contract law requires it. The refund goes directly into my bank loan. Sounds like BS but I went along with it.

But releasing a bike with a NHTSB recall is bs. I know they want to keep the bike overnight. From what I've read, Federal law requires the recalls to be done before new vehicles are delivered. As they were closed today, They will hear from me on Tuesday. ..loudly.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Did you buy it on a Sunday?
I don't know if Cow Hamster has blue laws but if you bought it on a day when the service department wasn't manned with a "certified" tech mayhep they couldn't perform the recall.

·
Registered
331 Posts
From my dealer "Harley does not allow recalls to be preformed until the bike is sold" I told them to keep the bike, and walked away....I had the same issue.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you financed the tire plan, then you have not paid for it until the loan is paid in full. That's why the refund goes to the lender.

Some recalls are 'stop sale'. Some aren't

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you buy it on a Sunday?
Not on a Sunday. The service dept. is open seven days a week and they had days from the time I bought it to delivery. Nor did they bother to tell me it was even subject to a recall. I thought it was already taken care of upon delivery. They charge a prep fee which is a joke and then don't do anything beyond give it a wash. Any wonder their competitors are eating into their sales.

I understand the refund going to the bank. Six weeks is a bit much.

Then dealers wonder why their customer never return.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
If they had days to deliver it I would have expected the recalls to be performed.

Sent from a handheld item of convenience.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Talked to a Service Writer today. When I inquired why the recall was not addressed before delivery, he claimed it came out AFTER I took delivery and HD only added my bike build date at that time. As the bike was manufactured a few months back, he's attempting total BS.

One of the sales staff offered to have it done right then and told me it only took 20 minutes. Found out that wasn't the case.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I understand the refund going to the bank. Six weeks is a bit much.
Thing with cancelling the tire plan: The finance person that sold it to you gets paid on that. If they unwound it, and re-signed you the next day, they would not have gotten their commission. If they put you off, they get paid. Maybe they get charged back, but then there's at least the chance that you'll forget to cancel it, or better yet...use it, and change your mind about cancelling it. They may have told you that you have to wait to cancel until you get your account number so they can send the money in to the right account?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Canceled the next day in writing. Doubt they had the time to even fill out any papers but it's a dealer plan and not HD.

They can easily issue a electronic payment to the bank. Nothing more than holding on to the money for another six weeks. For that reason I have the faxed cancellation and every fax receipt.

All of the loans processing is electronic. They have the loan number is no more than 48 hours. HD can electronically connect to the loan processing in any bank. I financed through my bank and they were able to electronically transfer the funds while I was there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts