V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, after searching most of the winter I purchased a 2001 Road King Classic from a private party, my first Harley after 20 years. Anyway, it's been a mild winter and I was fortunate enough to be able to put about 500 miles on it. I had been hanging out off an on at my closest dealer, checking out the new and used bikes and was pretty confident about the staff so I got with the parts guy and service manager and ordered new tires and mufflers and decided to go ahead and let them do the 10,000 mile service install the tires etc. as a sort of package deal. I made the appointment about 2 weeks ahead and I delivered the bike on the 14th of Feb. the service rep said he would try to have it done on the 25th. Well I thought, man that's a heck of a long time just for minor service and tires but I let them go ahead anyway, if I am going to have a harley I need to get to know my dealer.

Well tomorrow's the 25th so I called this afternoon to check on the bike because no one has called me in all this time and I thought all the service went well with no problems and I would pick it up tomorrow (sat). Anyway the service manager isn't there but his assistant said after looking around for my bike "Oh we haven't even touched it yet, we have been just swamped with bikes." I started to rip into him but backed off realizing he was just a flunky. So is this kind of service common to Harley Dealers now days. No way in hell would I put up with that for my car or truck. Before I call back go ballistic and go pick up the freakin bike, what would you guys do and how have you been treated. Thanks for letting me rant.:mad: :badmood: :badmood: :thanks:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
That is fukkin ridiculous. I have to make an appt. sometimes a week out, but I have never left my bike for more than overnight... and that was for a lot more than you are having done and I get several phone calls advising me as to progress.

I tell them up front that I want to bring it in early and pick it up the same day while making the appt. so they can schedule it that way. I would never leave my bike for a week at the dealers... so they can scratch it up moving it back and forth?! The way I see it is that if that can't get to it for a week, it can sit in my garage, not theirs.

Look for another dealer... quick. Talk to the new service manager about how you like to do things and ask if he can provide that level of service. If he can't, walk. It always gets me how all these Harley owners suck up to the service departments. Hey, I am the frikkin customer here.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I agree. I usually drop my bike off in the late afternoon before the day of my appointment and then pick it up late afternoon. I also only need about a week or even less for an appointment. There was only one time that I had to leave it another day.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
They are servicing bikes that were bought new from them first. After they get done with them they will eventually get to yours. Some dealers do and some don't operate like this.:whisper:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
That sounds just like the 'stealer' in Toledo Oh. I dropped off my Ultra to have them read the 'run-out' of the rear rotor......I made the appointment 7 days in advance. Took 10 days to get my scoot back.........They don't see me anymore.....(only the back of my head). Lucky thang my sportster was running good......

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you're comfortable turning a wrench, I'd advise doing the services, and any other work you can do, yourself (after purchasing and getting real familiar with the service manual).
You'll be assured that everything is done right (or just done, in the case of some dealers), and you'll get to know your bike really well. It'll also become satisfying to know that there is a lot on your ride that you can take care of yourself if need be. In addition to the service manual, there's a heckuva lot of knowledge and expertise on this forum - I can't tell you how impressed I continue to be with not only the experience here, but also how kindly it is shared.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Unless they have relocated Nebraska to the sun belt, they were not swamped w/ bikes.
They just suck. I'd talk to the shop manager then if I didn't get satisfaction I'd look for another shop.

·
Registered
340 Posts
8-Ball said:
That is fukkin ridiculous. I have to make an appt. sometimes a week out, but I have never left my bike for more than overnight... and that was for a lot more than you are having done and I get several phone calls advising me as to progress.

I tell them up front that I want to bring it in early and pick it up the same day while making the appt. so they can schedule it that way. I would never leave my bike for a week at the dealers... so they can scratch it up moving it back and forth?! The way I see it is that if that can't get to it for a week, it can sit in my garage, not theirs.

Look for another dealer... quick. Talk to the new service manager about how you like to do things and ask if he can provide that level of service. If he can't, walk. It always gets me how all these Harley owners suck up to the service departments. Hey, I am the frikkin customer here.
Yeah, he does enough of that himself. Scratching his bike that is.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tell us how you really feel.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
galaxie64-bs said:
Hi, after searching most of the winter I purchased a 2001 Road King Classic from a private party, my first Harley after 20 years. Anyway, it's been a mild winter and I was fortunate enough to be able to put about 500 miles on it. I had been hanging out off an on at my closest dealer, checking out the new and used bikes and was pretty confident about the staff so I got with the parts guy and service manager and ordered new tires and mufflers and decided to go ahead and let them do the 10,000 mile service install the tires etc. as a sort of package deal. I made the appointment about 2 weeks ahead and I delivered the bike on the 14th of Feb. the service rep said he would try to have it done on the 25th. Well I thought, man that's a heck of a long time just for minor service and tires but I let them go ahead anyway, if I am going to have a harley I need to get to know my dealer.

Well tomorrow's the 25th so I called this afternoon to check on the bike because no one has called me in all this time and I thought all the service went well with no problems and I would pick it up tomorrow (sat). Anyway the service manager isn't there but his assistant said after looking around for my bike "Oh we haven't even touched it yet, we have been just swamped with bikes." I started to rip into him but backed off realizing he was just a flunky. So is this kind of service common to Harley Dealers now days. No way in hell would I put up with that for my car or truck. Before I call back go ballistic and go pick up the freakin bike, what would you guys do and how have you been treated. Thanks for letting me rant.:mad: :badmood: :badmood: :thanks:
I'd be upset but I never go near dealers for service anyway. You need to find another dealer fast. If it were my bike, I'd take it back home and either do it myself or go somewhere that they could do it the same day.

My 2 cents.

·
Can it get any better!
423 Posts
The service you required could have been done in a day, or 1 overnight stay at the most. It makes you wonder, are they that busy that they can't knock out your service in 11 days!! I'd talk to the shop mgr and have him do some explaining. Tell him the the OCC guys can build an entire bike in a 30 minute show. why can't he get your bike out in a decent time!

And also ask for a discount!

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Harley Dealers have the worst Service dept. of all !!

It sucks to hear your story but it sounds all to familiar to me. Here in New Orleans we have 2 dealers owned by the same people and they Service Dept it is terrible on both and there is no other choice.( the others are far from my house) Last time, I spent $800. whith them to put a new V-H pipes just to have the pipes literally fall off the bike because they did not tighten the bolts on the front one. I had to call them to town my bike half way from the Dealer to my house! Guess what, the best I got was " I am sorry about that", and it was not even a very sincere one!
Sometimes I wonder what that hell am I doing...
David

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I don't buy the "too many bikes" and "swamped" story either. It is possible that they are truthful. But is it likely? If the dealer in this Nebraska town is the only one, if the service dept. found itself short-staffed for whatever reason and if in fact the dealer did have a very good December, then you may be hearing something close to the truth.

They should have called you when they knew that the deadline was not going to me met.

In St. Louis we have several dealers in the metro-area. Some have lousy :thumbsdn: reputations and some good. :thumbsup: Doc's (the one I use) is consistently up towards the top in dealer satisfaction survey's of all dealers in the country.

I have to say that on a couple of occasions I did not get my bike back when first promised. But both times were because of unforeseen issues and both times the Service Dept. called me right away to let me know. That is the mark of a good dealership. A dealer who actually treats their customers like they are important (and we certainly are!).
{salute(

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
This is exactly why i do my own service. First of all i would have never agreed to leave my bike there that long in the first place. 1 or 2 days tops. If i had called (like you did) the day before it was due and was told they hadn't touched it i would have went through the roof. The "flunky" on the other end of the phone would have just been at the wrong place at the wrong time. I would have also told them not to touch the bike and that i would be down to pick it up ASAP. Needless to say, they would never see me or my bike again.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Why bother making an appointment just to make you wait 10 + days for a service that should only take one day? As others have said, find another service dept. or do the work yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Orlando Harley guarantees "In by 9 out by 5" for 2500,5K service intervals. Two days for the 10K/20K intervals. Appointments necessary but generally just a few days in advance. Exceptions noted for days around Bike Week or Holidays or peak spring times.

·
Registered
115 Posts
We have had great luck with the local dealers. The one time we took my WideGlide in for minor warrenty service and it wasn't done as promised, they called, gave me a 20% discount gift card and offered to deliver my bike the next day. Appointments are usually a week to 10 days out, and they have always (except above) had the scoots done the next day. Sorry you are having a problem with that dealer.

You bought an '01 bike with 10K miles? Less than 2,000 miles a year. Previous guy didn't ride much!

·
Retired
1,835 Posts
Buy a service manual,and throw the dealer away.
I've had my bike serviced at the dealer once,for a stuck fuel gauge and bad fuel pickup hose. I would have fixed it myself,but with the bike still under warranty I figured they could fix it.
So I rode to the dealer one day last month,and asked the service writer about getting my bike in. Was invited in right then and there. Less than 2 hours later I rode back home.:chopper:
Other than that,I do all my own service.

·
Banned
139 Posts
I would stay as far away as you can from a Harley dealership. Find an Indy shop around you and they will be happy to do the work and they won't leave bolts un-tightened. Harley dealerships plain and simple suck ass.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts