V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hmmm,
I just visited my dealer today to finalize my SE 95 stage II build. My heads and cylinders are back from diamond cutting, but my cylinders were sent back out to be bored.
I thought the stage II kit came with it's own new set of 95" cylinders, and my 88" set would be returned to me.
Am I wrong, or is this the policy to reuse and bore the stock jugs for a 95" kit?
Since the SE book shows a new set of jugs, it certainly looks like I am being boned.
If I was suppose to get my 88" set back, exactly what are they worth if I were to order a new set from HD. I'd like to know how much credit they owe me...
Thanks.

·
Registered
934 Posts
If they're charging you $299 for the cylinders, you're getting screwed. If the price they gave you was around $150 for the 95" cylinders, then that'd be having them bored.

darrell

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
I'm not sure why, but it sounds like the dealer is trying to save you a few bucks by having your cylinders bored. One would think the dealer would try to sell SE cylinders?

·
Registered
200 Posts
My Stage II came with new 95" Cylinders as the dealer gave me the 88" cylinders back. The 95" cylinders go for around $300. Do you think maybe your dealer is charging you for the 95" but just boring out your 88".
I am not familiar on how much a boring job costs but if it is less they might be making money.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Its cheaper to have the stock cylinders bored out for
95 kit. Usuall cost is about 150. I think the new cylinders in HD
part catalog is 299.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
Registered
934 Posts
HDTony probably just hit the nail on the head. Ask to see a breakdown of the bill and see what they charged you for the cylinders. If it was around $150, before the diamond cutting, then you're alright. If not, you may have a rebate to take up with the dealer.

darrell

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ironrdr said:
HDTony probably just hit the nail on the head. Ask to see a breakdown of the bill and see what they charged you for the cylinders. If it was around $150, before the diamond cutting, then you're alright. If not, you may have a rebate to take up with the dealer.

darrell

Again, I was charged the "kit" price of $1,049.00 plus labor.
I don't quibble money and I'm not going to get excited over a few bucks. If this is how it's usually done, then fine, I have no use for the stock jugs..
But... I have purchased almost 7K in accessories for this new bike, and I want absolutely everything that I have coming without any BS what-so-ever....
What's right is right..

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Sounds to me like they sent your 88 jugs out to be diamond cut and then when they found their mistake, they sent them back out to be bored.

I read somewhere on here that it is better to bore seasoned jugs rather than buying the new 95s. I don't know how seasoned your '06 jugs are however.

In any case, it sounds like they owe you about $150, but I don't believe you are sacrificing anything in the build either way.

Someone will be around shortly to contradict everything I have said and probably add a political statement of some sort which will result in your answer being permanently delayed.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
It's better to do it that way, but they just ripped you off for $150 +/-. The cylinders are included in that kit price.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yep, I bet you guys are right.
The bike was disassembled as soon as they broke open the crate.
Last time I was there, I was wondering why they had the jugs off of it.
The mechanic probably just sent the whole thing out without knowing to substitute the 95" set.
The jugs haven't been seasoned at all, so hopefully the machine shop does a good job..I felt a little more comfortable knowing the 95" set was done by the moco..

$150.00 is certainly no big deal. I'll be interesting to see how they handle it, because they've got to know the question of "where's my set of 88's" will be coming..

·
Registered
1 Posts
AS long as it is a reputable machine shop it won't matter. Harley just bores out the 88 jugs for the 95" kit themselves. No difference in performance but definitely something you should talk to the dealer about since the jugs come with the kit. If they sent the wrong ones for diamond cutting make sure you get the originals from the kit, you paid for them. MY 2 cents.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Or just kindly ask them for the 95" jugs that came with the kit. doubt they have any use for that extra set laying about.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
And if you hadn't caught it they'd have just sold the 95" set to somebody for $300. Be interesting to see how this plays out if you keep quiet. You'll either know they are honest if they knock off $150, or MAYBE THEY'LL GET REAL BRAVE AND TRY TO CHARGE YOU FOR THE BORING ON TOP OF THE KIT PRICE. Didn't mean to yell, but my fat fingers hit the caps lock and I'm too lazy to go back and type it again.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
George C said:
I'll be interesting to see how they handle it, because they've got to know the question of "where's my set of 88's" will be coming..
you should get a set of 95's IMO...their mistake/not yours

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
shrike96 said:
Or just kindly ask them for the 95" jugs that came with the kit. doubt they have any use for that extra set laying about.
Don't be too sure about that. Lot's of us buy à la carte.

And for George C again, really look that expensive diamond cut job over closely before you accept delivery. You never know how it's going to be handled by an outside source like a machine shop.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MegaGlide said:
Don't be too sure about that. Lot's of us buy à la carte.

And for George C again, really look that expensive diamond cut job over closely before you accept delivery. You never know how it's going to be handled by an outside source like a machine shop.

Oh, don't worry about that..
One nick, and we'll have a problem.
They better be as perfect as the Hope Diamond.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts