V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A customer had a bad crank with .006 runout, scuff oil pump and cam plate. Dealer now is stating per hd ( did show paper work from hd) that the new spec is .010 before crank is out of spec!!! . I guess if you cant produce a good crank just raise the spec until the crank is good. :thumbsdn:

·
Registered
798 Posts
That is a shame. I just hope they dont start making bowling balls again, then again with those kind of tolerances it wouldnt roll very good. :roflback:

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
santino said:
Planned obsolescence!
Right off the showroom floor??
I think it's a matter of building to the minimum necessary to run a stock engine. Think about it....If you were to never go in the engine and do any upgrades, it is highly unlikely you would ever know your crank is out of tolerances. Why should they put the extra money into making a tight engine when left alone it will likely not have any problems. They know that those of us that go into them will make them right. Why should they, if they know we will do it for them?
It's all about the bottom line.$$

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
And if you look at the torque limiting feature of the the new fly-by wire throttle of the 08 Touring bikes, the pictures clears up more and more. Sloppy design/manufacturing camouflaged with electronic band aids. It's a f$cking disgrace that a more than 100 year old company forgot how to build a reliable engine.

Maybe they introduce plastic main bearings in 2009, enough raw material from the Chinese toy recall would be available

·
Registered
621 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
A customer had a bad crank with .006 runout, scuff oil pump and cam plate. Dealer now is stating per hd ( did show paper work from hd) that the new spec is .010 before crank is out of spec!!! . I guess if you cant produce a good crank just raise the spec until the crank is good. :thumbsdn:

Flywheel Specifications:
Run-Out(crankshaft in the crankcase) 0.0 – 0.010 IN. 0.0 – 0.254 MM
Run-Out (crankshaft on a truing stand)
0.0 – 0.004 IN. 0.0 – 0.102 MM
Flywheel Service Wear Limits:
Run-Out(crankshaft in the crankcase) 0.012 IN. 0.305 MM
Run-Out (crankshaft on a truing stand) 0.005 IN. 0.127 MM

Attachments

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
07 Ultra never smooth

I m guessing theis specs might of been the contributing factor to the Ultra never running smooth, too much vibrations at the foot boards. Warrentee repair at 22000 miles was over 30 items, primary bearing, clutch throw out bearing, main crankcase bearing and transmission bearing, needel bearings and ball bearings,bearings case, seals, primary seal, gaskets ,o-rings.And of course fluids, no they didnt replace my fliuids with same. Amsoil. I guess thats just a given. Even with a IDS system with that ,felt not as smooth as my 06 fltri.

After words, felt like I got back my six gear , lower primary case noise less, the irratating whine of the primary belt was still there. Over ratcheting effect I guess.

Anyway it was a 4000.00 $$ rent a bike for the year. I sold it for 17000.00
and glad of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts