V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
<{{{><
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me the dealer only pays $8k for a fatboy. Boy if thats true they are making a killing on sale of the bike let alone accesories.
:mad:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My guess is 12 – 15% max. I would say that most dealers make their money on parts, service and accessories.

·
Registered
105 Posts
12 to 15% plus what ever other BS they add on to the price. I am somewhat jaded with the dealer network out there. The good dealers are getting tuff to find. It is supply and demand and the demand is still there, so the raping and pillaging continues. Eventually all of these weiner's who bought these bikes and never ride them will sell them off and look out. Sorry, I know I'm rambling..

They make too freaking much.

Ape

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Wonder if there is a website, like there is for cars and trucks, to find out exactly what the dealer cost is for each bike and option.

Just as a matter of interest, as it woukd likely make no difference in your negotiations, at least as of now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most Stealers around here sell for 2000+ over MSRP. That adds up to a lot more than 12-15% . Even if you find a stealer who sells for MSRP they still hit you with a 900.00 shipping, setup fee. Either way you end up on the short end of the money stick. The only consolation is you own a Legend. :D

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
There's a thread going on "msrp". You can find dealers that sell at msrp. A lot depends on local competition. And you can find dealers out of state that will sell to you at msrp. Don't believe the stuff about the dealer not being able to sell to you or they'll lose something off of next year's allottment. If ya' want to give away your hard earned money needlessly, go for it. If ya' don't want to do that, keep looking around!!!!

And ride safe.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
12 to 15 % ??

I don't know guys, that looks a little too low to me. The price is higher than that here in the state of Mo. The one that I did buy from in '89 has since retired and the person who took over is not known for being like the one before.

You have got to look hard to find them.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Around here, the dealers charge all different prices for the same things(shipping, prep, etc) but the average is $800-$1000 over MSRP. The availability and wait factor was a consideration for me since I wanted to tear the bike down and customize it over the winter. The dealer down the street happened to have a dyna in the crate and all the ones in the showroom kept dissapearing on a regular basis so I bit the bullet and went for it. The Harley I bought in March wasn't available anywhere except this one other dealer so I jumped at that too. With these smaller dealers it's snooze or lose. For me the extra $800 was worth it. Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Sorry guys, I meant that dealer cost is 12-15% under MSRP. As most of the other replies indicated, it's what the market will bear that determins actual price to the consumer.:(

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hey guys! Ok I have NOt tested this site yet but they claim to be able to identify invoice cost.

http://www.bikesatcost.com/

AGAIN! I have no idea if this is valid. Looks like the dude charges $9.95 to get you the invoice amount.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
25%:eek: I hope you are blowing smoke up our *** and don't know what you are talking about. That's absurd if you do. If it is true then this will be the last HD I will buy. Are you listening HD.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If Gunner's shop is selling at MSRP and still making 25%, that does not seem to be the problem Fatvette. The problem is the really greedy bastards that are making the same mark-up then charging 1500 to 2500 more. The dealer has to make some kind of profit, it's the American way. I'd rather a good dealer make a decent profit, have a good service and parts department that doesn't gouge you. That dealer will be around in the future.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I understand the dealer needs to make a profit, I am in the retail business myself. It really isn't the 25% its the 25% plus $1,000, $2,000, even $5,000 over MSRP that gets me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
MY BOSS OWNS THREE SHOPS, WE HAVE BEEN SELLING AT
MSRP FOR AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER. THE DEALERS
THAT GET AWAY WITH OUTRAGEOUS MARK UP DO THAT
BECAUSE THE CUSTOMERS LET THEM! NO ONE MAKES ANYONE BUY FROM THESE DEALERS.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
25% is a lot if we are talking about a savings accout or something but not that high for low-volume retail items. that necklace you bought the old lady for her birthday probably had 40% mark-up. They have rent to pay, electricity, staff...and do you have any idea how much all that gee-wizzz diamond plate chrome display flooring and a good cappacino machine for all the yuppies that stop in cost these days?

And besides, as long as demand exceeds supply...the customers set the price. If they dropped retail prices arbitrarily by say 15%, I'd put up a pole barn next to the dealer and make a killing buying new ones and reselling them at true market value....there are people doing this even now.

I agree with guners point...the customer always sets the price...its whatever a guy is willing AND able to pay.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
God Bless America! LOL!

Hey, it's your money and you are using it buy your bike. Draw your own lines and as long as you're happy with it who cares what the dealer made?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts