V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the stealers are charging for the 1000 mile service back there in civilization. Took my Sporty in today for it, cost 125. Euro, which I didn't find too unreasonable. (Considering it's the dealer, this is my second HD, and the first time I've ever let them wrench on one.) Also being in Italy, it's not like you can find HD oil filters, and 20-50 oil, or trans fluid anywhere else. The price markup HD charges them for parts is horrible. Would of cost me 80. Euro just for the oil and filter, so I figured for 125, I'll even let them stamp my owners manual. I was surprised at the service I got there. I don't speak fluent Italian, so it was kind of an adventure even finding the place, but one kind soul had me follow him to it. (To clarify, the town this dealer is in is about 50 miles from the town I live in.) Once there, they took my jacket, helmet and backpack and hung the stuff up, offered me a choice of beverages (including good old American Bud, ) let me go and see the service area, and watch what was being done to the scoot. After they finished, they even cleaned it up nicely, polished the chrome, put some leather protectant on the seat. Just much more than I expected, considering I didn't buy the bike from them. When I had my FLTC, I went to a dealer in Va. Beach, and it seemed like since I didn't buy my bike from them, they were being put out of their way to sell me something. From then on I went to indy shops, much better customer service, and no price gouging.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
In Germany they have a Value Added Tax (VAT) of I think 15% on items over a certain price. America service members filled out a VAT form prior to their purchace and waived the added 15%. You probably already know by now if Italia offers some such thing. When I lived in Germany I ordered everything from J&P or H&M. You can order oil to your APO but they will attach a nasty gram saying not to order anymore oil through the mail, but they'll still send it. Of course that was pre 9-11 so they may have clamped down on that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tried Laidlaws for 2003 Softail Classic... Less than enthused with the result of 2000.00 over msr. Found a 2001 privately, and Laidlaws much better with service/parts... Once a salesman, always a salesman I guess>>>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts