V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know what your dealer charged you for the infamous "Dealer Prep" fee when you purchased your new ride. In looking through the internet, there seems to be a wide variety of charges. Don't most dealers do the same thing to prepare the bike for delivery? I suppose dealer overhead factors into the cost as well.

My dealer charged me $165 last December.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
I paid MSRP for the bike and $225 for the set up at Roanoke HD in Virginia. And they were several hundred cheaper than anyone else in my area that I called. I'm in NC.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
733 Posts
Town & Country Sports Center Harley-Davidson. free set up and they gave $500.00 in accesories.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I got charged over $700.00 for freight and setup on my '05 Electra Glide Standard. When I questioned the business manager about the freight ($475.00), He told me that was what they actually paid for shipping. I knew that was B.S., but I bit the bullet because they were giving me $1000 off MSRP. It still pissed me off that they would blatantly lie to their customers that way, so when I got my survey, I made sure the MoCo knew how I felt about it. I refuse to go back there for anything other than oil filters and such.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
710 Posts
Goose54 said:
I got charged over $700.00 for freight and setup on my '05 Electra Glide Standard. When I questioned the business manager about the freight ($475.00), He told me that was what they actually paid for shipping. I knew that was B.S., but I bit the bullet because they were giving me $1000 off MSRP. It still pissed me off that they would blatantly lie to their customers that way, so when I got my survey, I made sure the MoCo knew how I felt about it. I refuse to go back there for anything other than oil filters and such.

Same sort of deal at Mikes in Wilm. DE. I seem to remember the Freight/Setup/Dealer Prep charge was around the $700 range, but I negotiated the price down to $1k off MSRP.
 

·
The Best Me I Can Be
Joined
·
22,729 Posts
84FXRP said:
Prep $100, MSRP. City Cycle Sales, Junction City, Kansas. Good Dealer.

I've heard that Mid Continent (or, incontinent, as my uncle called them) had a pretty bad reputation. Is the new ownership any better?

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by 84FXRP
Prep $100, MSRP. City Cycle Sales, Junction City, Kansas. Good Dealer.

arjonaut said:
I've heard that Mid Continent (or, incontinent, as my uncle called them) had a pretty bad reputation. Is the new ownership any better?

Joe
I have not heard any feedback on the new owners. They are building a new store along I 135 north. Back in 1999, the previous owner wanted about $5k over MSRP on a FLH Standard. He offered about $1500 less (than the BMW dealer did) on my HD in trade, so I voted with my feet and walked out.

When it came time for a new HD last year, I didn't even bother checking Mid-Continent out. If the new owners had been in place, I would have at least talked to them before I ordered my bike. The Junction City folks have sure worked out well for me. (Besides it's a nice ride up there.)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top