V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it always a givent to have to pay freight and setup. I did not pay it on my last bike but I bought it through fleet sales. A buddy and I went in yesterday to look at a bike for him and they are talking over $1000 in Freight and setup charges.

Doug

·
Registered
274 Posts
I paid $275 frt. and $475 set-up. The other dealer that was close to me wants $275 frt. and $995 set-up.

You forgot the DOC fee. My dealer charged $77 The other dealer charges $495

I bought my bike for $300 under MSRP. The other dealer wanted $2000 over MSRP.

Pays to shop around.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Freight is a flat fee that Harley charges all dealers per bike. It is $275. No more, no less... The rest of the charge is "setup" fee. Which includes, among other things, putting fluids in the engine, putting the handlebars on (cause their shipped with them off), make sure things are properly adjusted etc, and give the bike a good once over (test drive etc). This proceedure is a rip off in my opinion. Doesn't cost $600 and more to do all that work. In materials it costs less then $200 to setup a bike. The rest is labor...

The setup fee varies between dealers, so shop around. I got mine for $475 after a little haggling.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
petrock said:
Freight is a flat fee that Harley charges all dealers per bike. It is $275. No more, no less... .
Well, probably in the real world that's true. I was in Orlando Harley a few months back when I was shopping and they were charging $500 for shipping and another $750 for set up. That's on top of full list. When I asked "why", (right before I left), I was told "That's what we charge regardless of what Harley suggests."

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Everything is negotiable. Most will try to charge you these rediculous fees but it's a buyers market now so try to make your best deal. I never have understood why HD dealers don't just build these fees into the price of the bike without listing them separately. Has anyone ever bought a cage and been hit with freight and set-up fees? I haven't.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
When I got my bike new in 03 all I paid was MSRP and state taxes / licenses. Of course at MSRP they made plenty.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I go to Ohio to buy when I've bought HD's. always msrp with now free freight and set up. Ben Breece HD in Ottawa, Ohio. I've seen adds in classified section for below msrp on some bikes in the winter.

·
Registered
274 Posts
PitBull said:
I paid $275 frt. and $475 set-up. The other dealer that was close to me wants $275 frt. and $995 set-up.

You forgot the DOC fee. My dealer charged $77 The other dealer charges $495

I bought my bike for $300 under MSRP. The other dealer wanted $2000 over MSRP.

Pays to shop around.
I guess it's what you end up paying for everything. All dealers have DOC fees, the rule is that you have to charge every customer the same fee, you can't charge me $400 and someone else $70, that is the law. They are all charging a set-up fee, it might be hidden, but the service dept. is a separate profit center and the sales dept. has to pay them to set up the bike. Harley charges the dealer $275 frt. it's on their website, the dealer might have hidden that charge but they paid it. If you look at my deal, the charges are detailed. I also got 20% off all parts I added and 20% off the labor to install these parts and free delivery to my home (that is a 8 hour round trip).

·
Registered
529 Posts
PitBull said:
I guess it's what you end up paying for everything. All dealers have DOC fees, the rule is that you have to charge every customer the same fee, you can't charge me $400 and someone else $70, that is the law. They are all charging a set-up fee, it might be hidden, but the service dept. is a separate profit center and the sales dept. has to pay them to set up the bike. Harley charges the dealer $275 frt. it's on their website, the dealer might have hidden that charge but they paid it. If you look at my deal, the charges are detailed. I also got 20% off all parts I added and 20% off the labor to install these parts and free delivery to my home (that is a 8 hour round trip).
If my dealer is charging any fees they must have been hidden in the MSRP because this is all I paid plus sales tax.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have checked all the dealers in MD. all charge 320 for freight and
from 299 to over 500 for setup fees. I just bought a 06 from HD in Rockville
MD. it was close and they had what I wanted in Street glide Black Cherry.
Look around. some dealers give free first service and other discounts too.
so its not all about MSRP + freight+ setup. think all charge license fees
depends on state and state tax.. MD is 5% state tax.

·
Retired
1,835 Posts
My dealer charged $660 setup. I almost went for the paint sealer/undercoating/fabric protection package @ $1500 but thought I would pass on that value added package.:whatever:

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
:roflback: set-up fees:roflback:

I figure set-up actually costs the dealer $50. Two hours time of a $10 per hour employee and maybe $30 in fluids (at retail) and this would be on the high side for fluids.

In Dec. '04 I paid MSRP + $275 freight and $100 set-up. I can live with that. Actually, since I really, really wanted this particular bike, I could have lived with more, just tried not to show it. Similar bikes in April '05 were $1K over MSRP and they were moving. Buy now if you're going to buy in '06!

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
back in August, when the '06's just came out...all dealers in this area were charging MSRP + factory freight + setup, which varied.
i paid $209 setup, which included the first service.

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
Dealer is billed for freight so I can see passing that on with the cost of the bike, however the dealer is paided by HD to assemble the bike for sale, so passing that on to the customer is just a way to get more money out of the customer.

·
Retired
1,835 Posts
Metric dealers do the setup fee thing too.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
bay13 said:
Dealer is billed for freight so I can see passing that on with the cost of the bike, however the dealer is paided by HD to assemble the bike for sale, so passing that on to the customer is just a way to get more money out of the customer.
Why would HD pay their dealerships to do this? Very curious.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
purchase 2 bikes last year. A Fatboy was at MSRP, but only the factory listed shipping charge. An EG was purchased at a $500 discount and also only factory listed shipping. Didn't pay a set up fee for either one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts