V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help dealing with this dealer. Any advice would be appreciated. My questions are at the end. Here is my plight.

I have been messing around with my Cruise Control for about six months. It would work for awhile then would mess up, doing weird stuff with accelerating on its own being the worse of it. I went to the dealer, and got on the list for them to look at it in two weeks. Great!!

Ok, I can deal with that, after all it is only the cruise.

Go in for the appointment, and the next day was told my cruise was broken. No shiite sherlock! I have the choice to leave it for five days or just bring it back while they order a Cruise Cable.

I'll take it, after all, it is only the cruise.

Take it back after the requesite five days. "Yep we have the part, call you when it is done." I'm not even home when they call me. "We ordered the wrong part. It'll take another five days to get the correct one in." Again the option to keep it or bring it back.

I'll take it, again, after all, it is only the ...

...Bring it back and "Yep we have the part, but I'm down two mechanics this week and can't get to it for at least 3 days."

Now I'm a pretty laidback fellow but this is just about over the top. I leave it this time.

Five days later, I finally call..."That didn't fix it. We have messed with it and can't find the problem, it doesn't work at all now. I havn't worked on it the past two days because Harley isn't going to pay any more to troubleshoot it and I need to let my mechanic work on other bikes so he can make some money."

INCREDIBLE!!

The next day... "It's fixed. Come and get it this afternoon." What was wrong, I ask. "We found a bent pin in the module, must have been there from the factory" No, I said. When trouble shooting it two weeks ago you had the module off and that is when it quit working all together. You bent the pin.

(Thanks for hanging in there. If your this far, almost done. The best is about to come.)

Pick it up and started home. Interstate all the way. I pull off and as I get slower I can here this grinding sound from under the bike. I pull over, it sounds as if the motor has grenaded!!

I shut it off, check the oil, the bike, the tires, etc. Everything is good. Now here is the good part. I turn on the ignition, then the Run switch and the bike starts all by itself!! I about dropped it. The only thing that saved me was I had my hands on the bars and got the cluch in. Try again. Yep, as soon as the Run switch comes on the starter comes on and stays on. Hince the grinding.

To add insult to injury. I call the service department. Talk to John at Southside Harley Davidson in Virginia Beach and he says: "Yep must have pinched a wire. We can't come and get you. You'll have to get it to us and we'll put it in line with the rest and try to fix it."

That's it. Not F*ck you, kiss my ass, are you all right, can I call a wrecker, nothing!!!!

My question is: Will another dealer fix their screwup, or do I have to take it back.
What parts are screwed up? Can I demand a new starter, jack shaft, starter clutch assembly, starter gear, wire harness, etc. I know they are just going to take the handlebar apart and put black electrical take on the pinched wire and tell me it's fixed.
I'm pissed!

How I got home. HD roadside assistance - worthless. I start the bike and unplug the wire from the starter solenoid

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow. What an incredible story. Interestingly enough, I am having a similar problem with my cruise. Started with acceleration for no reason, than won't engage, followed by working fine for awhile, followed by sudden acceleration, than won't engage. Working now. I almost stopped at Southside to ask them about possible service, although I bought the bike at Colonial HD in Colonial Heights, VA about 1.5 years ago, so would be warranty work. I'm afraid after driving 75 miles they would tell me it was working fine, or they needed to order parts so bring it back. I plan to ask then to replace the entire unit, so order one ahead of my serivice date. Doubt that works, however. I will be most interested in how they resolve the problems they caused at Southside. Did you buy from them? My impression was they normally do good work, although I have done all my own service up to now, so simply hearsay. Good luck.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Your bike is under warranty, right? Call the moco and speak to a warranty rep. Tell them about your experience at your dealer. The moco will get involved on dealer complaints. This is the only way to stop shoddy dealer practices.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jamie, Yes it is under warrnnty. Thanks, I'll do that first thing tomorrow.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If it were me, I’d try to fix the shorted starter button issue myself. The hand control assembly unscrews from the handle bar easy enough, you only need to be careful not to break the wires leading to the turn signal, ignition kill, and starter switches. One or both of the wires on the starter switch probably got pinched to ground; apparently the dealer had this assembly apart when monkeying around with your cruise/throttle cable. If the dealer found no issue with your cruise control module, the next suspect might be the vehicle speed sending circuit or connection from your speedometer.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mlewis, I thing your right. I drove it to the dealer today and at worked perfect. I didn't even go inside. Just got back on and went for a short ride, and came home.

Does anyone know what will have to be replaced by haveing the starter run with the motor on, for 45 minutes?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sounds like your starter motor and related electrical may have survived. With the engine RPMs up during your interstate jaunt, the starter should have been load free until the jackshaft could (or attempt to) engage at a lower engine RPM. All the other potential damage you suggested might have occurred, best to remove the primary cover to inspect just how bad it actually is. If you do weed out the starter button issue on your own and find the starter still functions normally, at the very least you might want to replace the primary lubricant and clean the magnetic insert on the drain plug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts