V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
CaptainAmerica said:
Well I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed by this but I would just show some grace, get the bike fixed and move on. Tell you what guys (and gals), I have screwed up from time to time and will likely again. As they say, what goes around comes around. This was an accident and as you said, stuff happens. I had a lady tap the back of my new BMW 540i at a red light. I didn't blow my cork. She felt bad and there was no damage so why press?

You can't compare damage and no damage and still say stuff happens, why press. That's not the way it works. There was significant damage done to this bike and if it had happen to me, I'd demand compensation. You cannot tell me if that Beamer had a nice huge dent, that you'd leave it alone and say, hah, stuff happens. Horse poopy :D! I think you wasted motion by typing this up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks for letting me vent and all the suggestions. The General Mgr. spoke to the new owner, and they are in agreement that since I am keeping the scratched parts, and can seel them for SOME profit on Ebay, I am monetarily coming out ahead. Granted, I could do this and make a few bucks, but I'd rather be ridin' and my time is more valuable that that. After they have fixed the bike back to it's original condition, I'mm gonna have a talk with the new owner and tell him that even though I was rteated cordially, I am somewhat dissapointed that they did not make some attempt to offer something....hell, a free oil service woulda made me happy! the point is no offer was made other than their offer to fix my bike with NO COST TO ME, as they proudly poked out their chests. The guy I feel sorry for is not me....but the tech that dropped it. As I said s**t happens, but this guy takes it very personal, and was very sorry.

Even scratched I went for a nice ride last night. TOld the dealer I was going to an event on 6/12 and it was very ncessary that all repairs ber completed by then. Parts should be in by end of next week.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I'm glad you worked it out. Your right about the ebay route you'll do fine with the scratched parts. As you might have read above I dont agree with rolling over the dealer about this but I will say if you and the dealer can agree on some kind of discount on parts or some thing. My thinking is that it wont come out of the dealers pocket and it'll make you feel alot better it's a win win.
JTS

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, first, I wouldn't report this to your insurance because your liability in this instance is ZILCH! Absolutely nothing there to report - the bike was under the control and custody of the dealer at the time and the dealer had been informed of the issue at the time it was taken in. So, technically, you have nothing to report to your insurance company and I wouldn't recommend it because it will cause your rates to increase whether the insurance company has to pay or not.

Second, the dealer DOES have insurance to cover his ass in this situation, so his "generous" offer to fix it all for free is (a) fully expected and required under the law anyway in most jurisdictions, and (b) probably going to be paid for by his insurance if he chooses to file the claim anyway.

So, let's do a little dealer math here - his insurance could cover all of the damage caused by his bike and he may be out a little on labor for fixing everything - so far he's in pretty good shape. Now, the next question is does he owe you anything else? Technically, no. The extent of his liability for his negligence is to put you back into as good a position as if the dump had never happened. If a loaner vehicle is not part of the regular service provided, there's no obligation to provide one in this instance. Does it hurt to ask? Heck no!

That all being said, keep in mind the old greasy wheel gets the grease adage. If it were me, I'd ask nicely the first time and get progressively more adamant (read as louder) in my requests, preferably within earshot of other customers if my charming personality was not getting good results the first couple of times.

Good luck!
Good advise. Took my 2018 Street Glide to local dealer for tires, pads, and 15k service. Dropped it off a day early so they'd have it to start in the morning. When I did not hear from them by 1pm the day after, I call. Told me, hey, we completed your $1360 worth of service, but, your bike fell off the lift in the night. Was extremely mad, drive up there, fairing is trashed, tried walking around the bike, but was so mad couldn't really spot anything. Told me it would be probably at least a month to get the parts to fix the fairing. I argued that how an I supposed to know the extent of the damage, I mean, it magically fell off a lift in the night, but it was strapped on.
I refused to take possession of the bike. I gave them a day so I could cool down and they could talk about what options to give me. Called back the nest day around 1pm. Was told they needed to get with manager to see what she had come up with and would call me back. Never called back. I will be up there when they open in the morning.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts